Overclock.net banner

Post Your Server!!!

933735 4512
Just post a picture of your server setup so everyone here can see your Amazing servers. The more pictures the better :D

The post format should be as follows:

Description / Usage(Print server, backups, file server, etc.)

Case:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Memory:
PSU:
OS HDD (If you have one):
Storage HDD(s):
Server Manufacturer (Ex: Dell, HP, You?):

PICS PICS PICS!!!!
4481 - 4500 of 4513 Posts

· Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Pics of my unraid build used pretty much for plex.

Using old Ln2 benching hardware that has been re-purposed.

Asrock z87m OCF
4770k, de-lidded, great batch, terrible cold bug.
16gb (4x4gb) random sticks
(4) 4tb hgst nas,
(2) 128gb samsung 840 pro for cache
Fractal R5
seasonic x650
Prolimatech Armageddon - so big that heatpipes sit on heatsink. Can't install the other way either.

Also have an Lsi sas-9207-8i that i'll add in when i add more drives. Wanted to add a hot swap bay in the 5.25 bays but never found one that I really liked.

· Registered
499 Posts
Meet Blitzraid
Asus X99 runnning a xeon 2690V3
40GB of DRR4 ram (non ecc)
850 pro 512gb ssd for cache drive
2 HGS HE8 8TB drive parity drives
3 4TB WD reds
1 6TB WD Datacenter drive
1 Seagate compute 8TB drive
total of 26TB of space
Running UNRAID
Houses over 700 movies 78 series
DNS server
Homelab
Backup server all computers in the house backup here

· Registered
487 Posts
Meet Blitzraid
Asus X99 runnning a xeon 2690V3
40GB of DRR4 ram (non ecc)
850 pro 512gb ssd for cache drive
2 HGS HE8 8TB drive parity drives
3 4TB WD reds
1 6TB WD Datacenter drive
1 Seagate compute 8TB drive
total of 26TB of space
Running UNRAID
Houses over 700 movies 78 series
DNS server
Homelab
Backup server all computers in the house backup here

What case are you using?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
4,631 Posts
no pics of mine off hand but all my stuff is stuffed into a U-Nas 810a. http://www.u-nas.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17640

about to make a NVR Server for cameras and that's even smaller and super low power.

has

CPU
Intel Xeon E3-1260L v1

Motherboard
SuperMicro X9SCM-F

RAM
Crucial 16gb 1333 EEC UDIMM

Hard Drive
Intel 320 120gb ssd

2x Samsung F3 HD102SJ

3x HGST Deskstar NAS 3.5-Inch 3TB

Power Supply
Seasonic 350w gold 1u ss-350m1u

Cooling
Noctua NH-L9i

Case
U-Nas NSC-810a

Operating System
Server 2012 Standerd x64

Other
3Ware 9650SE-8LPML + BBU

stock pics of the case but everything is in there

· Expand Always in Always
4,754 Posts
no pics of mine off hand but all my stuff is stuffed into a U-Nas 810a. http://www.u-nas.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17640

about to make a NVR Server for cameras and that's even smaller and super low power.

has

CPU
Intel Xeon E3-1260L v1

Motherboard
SuperMicro X9SCM-F

RAM

Hard Drive
Intel 320 120gb ssd

2x Samsung F3 HD102SJ

Power Supply

Cooling
Noctua NH-L9i

Case
U-Nas NSC-810a

Operating System
Server 2012 Standerd x64

Other
3Ware 9650SE-8LPML + BBU

Nice build,gathering the parts now to do something similar,thinking a E3 1245 V2 or the 1265L V2 with a 3u rack-mount case.

· Opportunistic Medler
156 Posts
I migrated my server Sunday night, and only lost an hour of folding time.

1 year of debating what rackmount enclosure I want, 2 months for building a custom enclosure, 1 month after build before I picked it up, 10 hours of preparation, 1 hour to migrate, and 42 hours to transfer media back on to it.

I just need to get some sata extensions, install new fans, perform some cable management, try not to add more to it for a while.

I will post new pictures once it is cleaned up.

· Registered
47 Posts
I moved into a new home recently and have been working one migrating things into a rack. I have the hardest parts done now, all the wiring. Today I finished it up and got my router moved into its own rack mount case.

Still need a case for my fileserver. But that will have to wait. All the ones I like are around $400-500. Unless someone has a line on a solid 3U or 4U case with hot-swap bays.
Not sure how many drive bays you need but maybe check this out: https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Rackmount-Computer-Pre-Installed-RSV-L4500/dp/B00N9CXGSO/

· Registered
67 Posts

has

CPU
Intel Xeon E3-1260L v1

Motherboard
SuperMicro X9SCM-F

RAM

Hard Drive
Intel 320 120gb ssd

2x Samsung F3 HD102SJ

Power Supply

Cooling
Noctua NH-L9i

Case
U-Nas NSC-810a

Operating System
Server 2012 Standerd x64

Other
3Ware 9650SE-8LPML + BBU

really nice and elegant.
It is not something like you build and leave it in a closet or a dedicated server room, but it could be running also in a living room.
Great choice.

· Premium Member
4,631 Posts
really nice and elegant.
It is not something like you build and leave it in a closet or a dedicated server room, but it could be running also in a living room.
Great choice.
Thanks!

now i am getting the other server/nvr buttoned up and installed. have everything ran on a 1000va ups and with the switch and server maxed out with prime it only pulls 53watts from the wall

CPU
Intel Xeon E3-1235L v5 ---> soon to be a 1260L v5

Motherboard
Asus P10S-I

RAM
Kingston 8gb 2400mbps ecc

Hard Drive
Crucial mx300 525gb ssd - boot
Seagate Skyhawk 4tb - camera storage

Power Supply
FSP brand 250watt bronze included with the case

Cooling
Noctua NH-L9i

Case
Supermicro CSE-721TQ-250B

Operating System
Server 2016 Standerd x64

Cameras
3x Hikvision DS-2CD2155FWD-I 5mp cameras
1x Trendnet TV-IP315PI 4mp for front door

· Registered
3,461 Posts
Swapped out my Cisco SGE2000 switch for a Unifi PoE unit. Very happy with the switch so far. Much easier to change configs on it and the PoE is great since i have unifi AP units and soon will be adding some cameras as well.

Attachments

· Registered
10,524 Posts
i like that more little nas style cases are starting to pop up

· Banned
217 Posts
Ghetto Email Server

I finally completed another project! All of my money goes toward college, so I made a few budget cuts.

System is an old Dell Optiplex 780, 2GB of RAM, 320GB HDD. I added: a metal box, a mini-PCIe raid card, x2 SATA power split cables (The power supply only had 1 SATA power), x2 WD SATA-2 500GB HDD's. Running Postfix.

Attachments

· Registered
67 Posts
Hello gents,
I am looking for information about a future project I have in my mind. I’d like to build a micro/mini server pc, so something similar to a 4/6 bay NAS size. I don’t want a server rack mount for many reasons, but a really compact home server instead.

My skepticisms are related to the fact that a LGA2011 (hypothetically with a old XEON Sandy Bridge) or a AMD Ryzen platform, which are two choices in my mind, could be really noisy to run in my bedroom (at the moment I use a Synology DS918+ which is super silent). The system noise is the most important factor to keep in mind if I will decide to switch from my current NAS to a more powerful server system. Unfortunately I cannot appreciate the system noise due to air cooling system of a kind of build.

Could anyone who built a compact server system give some suggestions and impressions?

Thank you.

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

· Premium Member
4,631 Posts
Hello gents,
I am looking for information about a future project I have in my mind. I’d like to build a micro/mini server pc, so something similar to a 4/6 bay NAS size. I don’t want a server rack mount for many reasons, but a really compact home server instead.

My skepticisms are related to the fact that a LGA2011 (hypothetically with a old XEON Sandy Bridge) or a AMD Ryzen platform, which are two choices in my mind, could be really noisy to run in my bedroom (at the moment I use a Synology DS918+ which is super silent). The system noise is the most important factor to keep in mind if I will decide to switch from my current NAS to a more powerful server system. Unfortunately I cannot appreciate the system noise due to air cooling system of a kind of build.

Could anyone who built a compact server system give some suggestions and impressions?

Thank you.

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk
what are you planing on using the server for? and how much money is there to play with?

both of mine up top of this page are pretty nice but you cant run a full power cpu with out it getting pretty toasty as the cooling area is kind of small for a cooler. both run basically a low power 45w tdp i7 and a noctua l9-i cooler. the NVR is a skylake era and the NAS is a sandybridge.

· Registered
67 Posts
what are you planing on using the server for? and how much money is there to play with?

both of mine up top of this page are pretty nice but you cant run a full power cpu with out it getting pretty toasty as the cooling area is kind of small for a cooler. both run basically a low power 45w tdp i7 and a noctua l9-i cooler. the NVR is a skylake era and the NAS is a sandybridge.
Hello, thanks for your reply. I have seen your builds and the first one is really cool, something I would like. That case (U-NAS) is not unfortunately on the market here in Italy.
I am planning for a file server, AD and WSUS server. At the moment using a Synology DS918+ but running Windows Server 2016 in a virtual machine it slows down too much. So I am evaluating something of more robust and powerful.
The budget is the last of my problems,I firstly need to understand other things: noise, temperatures, which kind of CPU (some pre-owned Xeon Sandy Bridge are really powerful and cheap on ebay), which Motherboard...

I see that a micro/mini ATX system is quite difficult to build, especially for a lack of motherboard (I was looking for a LGA2011).

· Premium Member
4,631 Posts
for those 3 things you listed i don't see much of a need to go lga2011. i feel just staying with a nice e3-12xx series will be fine. both do file serving when needed and do video streaming/ transcoding just fine. both are low enough power where they use a small cooler but if you get a larger case then a larger cooler is a possibility. sound wise is they are both a whisper and bearly know they are on other then when lights start to flash.

the unas one with the older sandy bridge is a low power and can saturate all of the network when needed. can stream videos while on the fly transcoading if needed. i think it can handle 2-3 while transcoading but i have all my vids now in a format where that isn't needed any more. also ran an ARK server on it for a little bit and didn't have any issues with 4-5 people but then my internet was the issue then.

the NVR set up in the supermicro case is imo pretty sweet other then having to find a ITX motherboard. the cpu is a few gens newer so it is faster but also in the limitation of just how much space you have for a cooler. i did have the e3-1235l in it being it had intel GFX on it but was still an i5 4 core at 25w tdp. was hopping to get blue iris to use the intel gfx to encode but i guess the motherboard i got doesn't allow built in gfx. ether way with the noctua cooler i was still "maxing" the core temp at 58ºc. was kind of weak and bearly was able to do the 4 cameras i wanted.

i tend to start looking at motherboard brands like supermicro as to me they have a decent history of server stuff. i did end up going asus on my last one just because of the specs it had. really everything just just starts around figuring what parts you can get and what you want to put them into. i tend to start figuring out what cpu i want to run and what generation depends on how much money to spend. i just know going any older then a e3/e5 series xeons the power usage of the system gets pretty high.

pics of both running prime for a few min. both same cooler just different case. temps are still good to go.

NAS

NVR

· Tech Enthusiast
12,390 Posts
Just moved so it's lacking a bit of personality, lol, but it's functional

Attachments

4481 - 4500 of 4513 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.