Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there OCN.

Well I have some money saved up and continuing till I know what I would like to buy. So if you have any ideas then suggest away, as long as it isn't too expensive or crazy.

My Goal

What do I want to achieve with this upgrade you say? Well, a number of things. Firstly I want to move away from the aggressive, flashy, "ricer" look that I believe I currently have with my HAF 932. I want to achieve a classy, subtle and stylish look to my computer and I think I know how I want to do it. It will involve a new case which I have already picked various accessories to accompany it to reach my goal.

Secondly, I want to increase performance by a noticeable amount but in the storage area. So for this I will be looking at SSD's in a RAID array. For this I may need a little help with a few things (setting up multiple arrays) but that will be for when the new items are delivered (yet to be ordered due to an overlook by OCN)

Thirdly, I want to improve my cooling a little and this also ties in with moving away from an aggressive, flamboyant look. I would like to remove the Megahalem and move to something a little more subtle but can yet pack the same if not more punch.

Lastly, I want to have a little fun as it's been a while since I last did a nice upgrade.

Parts List

Case

To cover my first point of moving to different case, I have not chosen a Lian Li or a Silverstone like some may have thought to be the only choice but a Corsair 800D. It has many nice features that I really like such as the black interior which is a must in this day and age. The hot swappable drive bays which I don't see myself using on a regular basis but makes things much easier when installing and upgrading, and of course, if I ever do need to use it then it's there. I also really like how they've given you the ability to do the cable management, specifically the cover box for the hot swap drive bays, the grommets for the cable holes and the separate section for the PSU.

The case is also water cooling ready which may be an option later down the road when I got a bit more spare money as the budget doesn't permit true water cooling at the moment.

Corsair Obsidian 800D Black Tower Computer Case

Accessories

As I wont be purchasing a new power supply with this upgrade I wanted to further the professional look with sleeved cables. Unfortunately I'm not really comfortable taking my power supply apart and sleeving each cable individually but it may be a possibility if I read up on it and get some more information as it will be considerably cheaper than doing the following. This is what I will be buying if I don't choose to sleeve the PSU myself. I will buy these in each type. 24-Pin, 8-Pin and 6-Pin. Only for visible cables. All others and existing PSU cables with be taped or cable tied behind the tray.

25cm NZXT Black Motherboard Power Extension Cable

Further to the accessories will be a fan controller. A nice sleek brushed aluminium one is what I had in mind for this upgrade. Possibly with a touch screen. This is yet to be decided but this is the sort of controller I am interested in. Hopefully you guys here can help me with this bit. Must have multiple channels and would be preferred if I could hook up multiple fans to one channel. Would like time, date, temperatures and of course fan speeds. Here is the sort of style I am looking for:

NZXT Sentry LX Fan Controller, Black

Cooling

I am looking to remove the Megahalems as it doesn't really fit in with what I am tying to achieve with this upgrade. So I was looking for something that could pack the same punch but was quieter and a bit prettier to look at. For this I have chose the Corsair H70. From what I have seen, it performs just a bit better than the Megahalems, it's less intrusive and fits with the style of the case. The radiator is a little thicker than I would have liked though but i will just have to see some pictures of it mounted in the 800D. Just a side note, if I were to pick the H70 for this upgrade then I would have one of the fans mounted on the back of the case rather than the whole setup on the inside.

Corsair H70 Hydro Series CPU Cooler

I also need to choose a colour scheme, I have chose black and white. I will replace the Corsair fans with these, Xigmatek white LED 120mm's, which I think will compliment the case but not add too much flash. I know I said earlier I wanted to get away from flashy lights and a "ricer" look but I don't think these fans give that impression due to their environment. Plus only one will be on show. But the light from others will subtly illuminate the case. I will be using these up top and on the visible side of the radiator. They also offer good performance as well as looking great.

Xigmatek XLF-F1254 Blackline White LED 120mm

Watercooling may now be an option to consider although I will start a separate thread concerning this. As i'm not sure what I need in terms of measurements and hardware.
I have a thread here discussing it - http://www.overclock.net/water-cooli...arts-list.html

Performance

For the performance upgrade I was looking at getting two SSD's and placing them in a RAID array, specifically RAID-0. I will be using these drives for the OS and primary programs. Steam client, Google Chrome, all my diagnosing, stress testing and overclocking utilities included, as well as a select few regularly played games. I have chose the Corsair F60's as they offer great read and write speeds and also offer good warranty and customer service that I have had from Corsair in the past.

60GB SSD Corsair Force Series Solid State Drive

Remaining & Existing Parts

This will all accompany my sig rig which consists of:

Intel Core i7 920 - Overclocked at 4.0Ghz
Corsair Dominators - 1600Mhz
Asus P6TD Deluxe - X58
Asus Xonar D2
EVGA GTX470
Asus 7300LE
2 Western Digital Caviar Blacks - RAID-0
Corsair 750TX - 750 Watt

Sorry about the really long post. I like being thorough and explaining why I have picked the things I did. Thanks for looking and I hope I hear from you soon!

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
I like the style you're targeting. Recently I moved from a more flashy case to a sober Antec P182 and non-colored fans.

However there is something I don't quite get: the fan controller. It will shine like a lighthouse at night unless it "goes to sleep" when not used; the case doesn't have a front door that could hide it. I can't offer you a proper alternative, I ditched my fan controller and I now use either fixed-speed silent fans or software-controlled.

Otherwise it looks nice, have fun building it

·
Premium Member
7,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by dragosmp View Post
I like the style you're targeting. Recently I moved from a more flashy case to a sober Antec P182 and non-colored fans.

However there is something I don't quite get: the fan controller. It will shine like a lighthouse at night unless it "goes to sleep" when not used; the case doesn't have a front door that could hide it. I can't offer you a proper alternative, I ditched my fan controller and I now use either fixed-speed silent fans or software-controlled.

Otherwise it looks nice, have fun building it
Thanks for the comments. I'm not bothered about light during the night as i usually turn off my PC when I go to bed but even if I don't it doesn't really affect me. I can sleep regardless of noise or light

·
Registered
68 Posts
I personally love cases like the 800D, plain and simple and elegant. I would also add the ATCS840 black and the silverstone TJ07 to the list of cases under consideration.

·
Premium Member
7,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by ammarmalik View Post
I personally love cases like the 800D, plain and simple and elegant. I would also add the ATCS840 black and the silverstone TJ07 to the list of cases under consideration.
Yeah, always liked the 800D from the moment I saw it.

·
Premium Member
7,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bump, added more info, be sure to check out my watercooling thread. Need help!

·
Premium Member
8,952 Posts
IF you're going to put that much money into it already, you may as well sleeve all of your cables as well. MDPC has great products at very good prices. As for the fan controller, I'd go with something a little less flashy. Something from Scythe would do the trick nicely.

·
Premium Member
7,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by XNine
View Post

IF you're going to put that much money into it already, you may as well sleeve all of your cables as well. MDPC has great products at very good prices. As for the fan controller, I'd go with something a little less flashy. Something from Scythe would do the trick nicely.

Yeah I was looking into sleeving the whole PSU myself. I think it would give me more satisfaction and give my rig a real custom feel/look.

just looking for some good guides.

·
Premium Member
7,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCa View Post
Nils(MDPC) includes guides with your purchase afaik!
Even for non modular PSU's?

·
Registered
16 Posts
The new Corsair 600T has seriously got me drooling. It's big, subtle, and classy.
Not to mention its $100 less than the 800D.

·
Premium Member
7,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay_Slim View Post
The new Corsair 600T has seriously got me drooling. It's big, subtle, and classy.
Not to mention its $100 less than the 800D.
Doesn't have as many features and I really dont think it looks anywhere as classy as the 800D

·
Premium Member
8,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crooksy View Post
Even for non modular PSU's?
There's not much difference between modular and non-modular while sleeving except you have to crack the PSU open to get the sleeve all the way into the PSU for a clean look. Just make sure you put all of the pins back in the right places. Labeling is nice, but doing one wire at a time (pull from connector, sleeve, put back) is much simpler and will keep you from going "**** WHAT DID I DO?!?!?!?!?"

·
Premium Member
7,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah that's what I was going to do but didn't want to open the PSU and void the warranty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts