Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing wiki while bored and noticed this...

Quote:

In the more expensive "Tesla" configurations, the chip features optional ECC protection on the memory, and can perform one double-precision floating-point operation per cycle per core; the consumer GeForce cards are artificially driver restricted to one DP operation per four cycles. With these features, combined with support for Visual Studio and C++, Nvidia hopes to appeal to the High-Performance Computer users who might presently be using Tesla systems.[2]

Is it possible to actually pick up free performance by switching to Quadro/Tesla drivers?

·
Banned
1,308 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbudden
View Post

I doubt they will even work with GeForce cards.

I've used Quaddro drivers on 3 diff nvidia cards just fine. They do work interchangeably

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
I thought I was gonna see a car crash

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitaniumClocker
View Post

I've used Quaddro drivers on 3 diff nvidia cards just fine. They do work interchangeably

Never knew this. Any added performance?

·
A title was here
4,137 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SS_Patrick
View Post

There are no dumb questions, you learn by asking. It's how the human race advances as a species. And you're asking the question in the proper place too.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,940 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AyeYo
View Post

I was browsing wiki while bored and noticed this...

Is it possible to actually pick up free performance by switching to Quadro/Tesla drivers?

I have a modified nv_disp.inf for the 64-bit Windows Vista/Windows 7 version of the latest Quadro driver (version 267.79):

http://home.comcast.net/~twocables/nv_disp.inf

Here's what to do:
  1. Install Driver Sweeper: http://www.phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html
  2. Download version 267.79 of the 64-bit Vista/7 Quadro driver here: http://us.download.nvidia.com/Window...ional-whql.exe
  3. Download my nv_disp.inf file
  4. Delete "C:\\NVIDIA" (it's just a temporary folder anyway)
  5. Uninstall the current GeForce display driver using the Programs and Features control panel
  6. Reboot into Safe Mode
  7. Once in Safe Mode, open Driver Sweeper
  8. Select "NVIDIA - Display"
  9. Click "Clean"
  10. Reboot when prompted
  11. Once back into Windows, run the Quadro 267.79 installer with the sole intention of extracting the contents to the default folder location that it chooses
  12. The installer runs and tells you "Install cannot continue" because it couldn't find compatible hardware. This is normal because it's using the nv_disp.inf file that this installation package came with.
  13. Click the green "CLOSE" button
  14. Copy my modified nv_disp.inf file to this folder location (replace the one that's in there now): "C:\\NVIDIA\\DisplayDriver\\267.79\\Vista 64-bit\\International\\Display.Driver"
  15. Run setup.exe from this folder: "C:\\NVIDIA\\DisplayDriver\\267.79\\Vista 64-bit\\International" (this is the icon you're looking for)
  16. Click the green "AGREE AND CONTINUE" button
  17. Choose "Custom (Advanced)"
  18. Click "NEXT"
  19. If you are not using audio through HDMI and if you're not using the special NVIDIA 3D surround, then deselect both "HD Audio Driver" and "3D Vision Driver"
  20. Enable "Perform clean install"
  21. Click "NEXT"
Reboot when it's done and you're good to go!

(I'm sorry, but I only have a 64-bit version of the nv_disp.inf file for 267.79)

• Rep+
Reactions: AyeYo

·
3DFX User
7,279 Posts
What kind of gains are you seeing?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I think the limitation of the FP16 calculations is on a hardware level rather than something that can be enabled with just a change of driver. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
htere is a way to use riviatuner to make you card look like a quadro. it works for installing the drivers an all. but you can only set x card to x quadro. you dont get a performance boost unless the program will use your vid card for some of the applications, like cad, or coral draw and such.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,940 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk777th
View Post

What kind of gains are you seeing?

Before using the Quadro driver, I would have the following problem in the first Crysis (single player):

Sometimes if I turned around quickly, the framerate would drop like a stone in water for just a brief moment.

Sometimes if I decided to look through the Assault Scope or Sniper Scope, the framerate would again drop like a stone in water for a brief moment - especially if I'm cloaked.

After switching to the Quadro driver, I no longer have this issue.
I think my performance went up a little too.

·
Banned
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Patrick;13142618
frown.gif

it varied by game. Some yes, some no.

I did it for SLi fixes, which it did well. it introduced problems into other games for me (mainly older stuff)

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
What about in folding, was there an increase?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Xeb;13146643
What about in folding, was there an increase?
I don't fold.
redface.gif

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,940 Posts
I recommend just trying the driver and seeing.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,940 Posts
Why would it be worse?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,940 Posts
That's why I asked. I didn't know.

So thank you! It makes sense to me (except, I don't know whether or not you're right either - I'm just seeing it your way, and it makes sense).

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
lol yeah. i just do not have the time right now to research it. if i did i would know for sure..
@op. go to the standford website and see if they use cuda based programing for the gpu folding app. if they do then you will have worst performance. if it is not based off that then i would say give it a try. ether way the only thing you risk losing is a little ppd for testing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts