Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Custom User Title
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I put both of these to Extreme for a 24/7 overclock? I did some basic testing in RealBench and Prime95. It passed with flying colors. An acquaintance told me that I need to keep those two settings at T. Probe and Standard if I am not sub zero cooling. Is that true? With them actually set to T. Probe and Standard, I have to up my voltages pretty significantly to get the same stable overclock. What do you guys think?

·
Iconoclast
30,427 Posts
I would put them on extreme, which enables all the phases all the time. This is bad for idle efficiency, but ensures that there is no delay in waking up phases as load increases, which should lead to cleaner transient and load power delivery.

·
Overclocker in training
13,929 Posts
Hi,
Actually Optimized is best all around.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Depends on the board/vrm and how much you pull from it.
If you pull 120w from a 10 phase board with all phases active, the VRM will be under it's ideal amperage output making it less efficient.
You want your board to shut down phases to prevent this during idle and you want it to respond to a load to spread the power out in the most efficient way.
Extreme/full phase modes are mostly for LN2 while "optimized" would be for daily use where the load fluctuates so it can spread the load over the optimal amount of phases. I have my switching frequency on fast so it responds faster to different loads.

If you've got a 6 phase board with an OCd 8700k yeah I'd do full phase. If It's a 10 phase board you won't likely notice a difference as it enables more phases.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts