Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HOW IT WENT DOWN
So I spent all this money on a very nice system IMO, and found out the hard way that my coolermaster 650w psu can't handle 2x GTX 275's plus my overclocked system. Which was a terrible oversight, that I hate to admit, never less it's true.
So I happen to have a spare 380w raidmax psu laying around, and have rigged it to turn on automatically whenever I hit the psu switch in the back. (Neat little trick)
MY temp SOLUTION

I am going to plug one of my 275's into it so I can run SLI, without my system turning off due to lack of power.
(this is until I get another psu, which would be the simplest solution, but I have an extra 275 just laying around and it's freakin killing me)

THE QUESTION
will it damage my graphic card if , for instance, the main psu shuts off, and the other one powering the single card is turned on while the card is in the PCIe slot?
My tech sense tells me it wont hurt it at all, but I would like to get some advice if anyone knows the answer to this. Please dont tell me what you think could happen. I do enough thinking for the both of us!!!

as I await a response, I will keep googling this issue.

·
Banned
371 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beric View Post
I know a Corsair 650 watt can handle 2 GTX 260's. Curious.
A corsair is a MUCH nicer PSU. A corsair 550 could probably handle two 260's.

To OP. I'm not sure but I wouldn't suggest it. I can only see it really powering the fan if the card itself isn't getting any power from the motherboard but I wouldn't want to push my luck.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tagurtoast View Post
your running a 22 inch monitor just run with 1 275 it will be no different maybe 2-5fps
That has nothing to do with the question, keep your opinion to ur self man.

Ive heard of people running a second psu to power their GRFX cards. Seems like it wouldn't be a problem.

·
Banned
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm actually going to get a Corsair 850w, but am not able to right now. But that would be an idea to link the on/off pins on the two 24-pin cables together, my only concern is to make sure there is no voltage conflicts that could potentially fry my board, or psu. More research is needed, I wish I had a voltmeter.

·
Premium Member
14,041 Posts
They make adapters so that two psu's can be plugged into one board (all the add-on vga-specific psu's have one), probably the safest bet.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The best thing to do would be grab a junk board and psu and make an adapter harness to turn on both Psu's when you turn on the computer, and turn both off when you turn it off. The Silverstone cases sometimes have these.

You need a spare PSU, and a junk motherboard. Unsolder the psu connector off the board. Cut the main board connector off the psu. solder them up to make an extension harness. Splice the green wire of the harness over to the green wire of the secondary psu.

·
Banned
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FIXED...just asked someone to buy me a Corsair TX850, just installed it the other day.

By the way, leaving the other PSU on while the main one is shut off wont harm any components. I turned my system off the other night, and forgot to hit the switch on the other one, all night it was like that, and didn't hurt a thing....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.