Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read your info on overclocking the gpu and dl'ed Power Strip. I have been using it for a few days but now the trial has expired. I thought that it was a free version with just some of the capabilities locked. Is there a free version out there of Power Strip, or do I need to buy the product if I want to continue overclocking?

I have a Radeon 9700 Pro and was able to overclock from 325/310 to 355/325. Nothing spectacular, but it was running well at that speed and I would like to continue overclocking it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. Im trying it out and it seems to have some nice features. Do you suggest using their find max clock and mem feature, or do you set it yourself and then test with the artifact tester?

I ask because I was testing with Power Strip and was able to clock up to 355/326 and could not see any artifacts, but with ATITool I was only able to get up to 339/320 or so before it restarted my system.

Just wondering if you know how to interpret such results.

Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You've got me again. Impercise language on my part. I did the clock first. Then I did the mem.

Thanks for clarifying though. Im going to law school and thus should be able to clearly write down my thoughts. Not happening though tonight!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

Let ATI tool find your maxes... First your core, then your mem, dont do both at the same time.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
I may be overstepping here, but what he meant was: Find max core first...then reset it back to stock (after writing down what the max was)

Then you find max memory. Each "find max" you do will take some time to complete fully.

Once you find your two clocks, then you manually set them in ATI tool together, and check for artifacts.

I've ATI Tool alot, and I dont remember it restarting my system...hmmm

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I did what you said, found max core, system restarted. Went back in at stock, found max mem, system restarted. Then set both at the indicated maxes (when you start ATITook back up, it tells you the last safe frequency), and tested for artificacts.

Seems to be running fine overall. I have the system OC'ed from 1800 to 2300 (255 FSB w/ 4x HT mult), and have run prime95 for several hours with no crashes or errors. So I think in general everything is looking good. I did notice that my temps were jumping up to the mid to upper 40's when I was finding the max core and mem speeds, but from what I have heard that is fine (anything below 55 C for these AMD 64's is good). So unless you think that the restarting is really problematic I think I will leave the system as is for now.

I bet I could get my FSB even higher as my cpu voltage is only at 1.5 (stock 1.4), but I just have not seen informaiton out there as for what the max should be for cpu voltage for AMD64/MSI Neo2 Plat combo..

Thanks for the note!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier1421

I may be overstepping here, but what he meant was: Find max core first...then reset it back to stock (after writing down what the max was)

Then you find max memory. Each "find max" you do will take some time to complete fully.

Once you find your two clocks, then you manually set them in ATI tool together, and check for artifacts.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Test...

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourstar77

Yeah, I did what you said, found max core, system restarted. Went back in at stock, found max mem, system restarted. Then set both at the indicated maxes (when you start ATITook back up, it tells you the last safe frequency), and tested for artificacts.

Seems to be running fine overall. I have the system OC'ed from 1800 to 2300 (255 FSB w/ 4x HT mult), and have run prime95 for several hours with no crashes or errors. So I think in general everything is looking good. I did notice that my temps were jumping up to the mid to upper 40's when I was finding the max core and mem speeds, but from what I have heard that is fine (anything below 55 C for these AMD 64's is good). So unless you think that the restarting is really problematic I think I will leave the system as is for now.

I bet I could get my FSB even higher as my cpu voltage is only at 1.5 (stock 1.4), but I just have not seen informaiton out there as for what the max should be for cpu voltage for AMD64/MSI Neo2 Plat combo..

Thanks for the note!

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier1421

Yup, thats exacly what I meant
. Well not really, I advised him from my reading experience here in OC.net and other forums.. I'm an Nvidia guy.

Thanks for explaining it better Xavier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts