Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i just typed a huge long thing, but it didnt work for some reason.

I have been unable to hit 210+ stable on my PC, and i just like 2 days ago got a brand new 2400+ mobile and some thing. So im blaiming the PSU.

So awhile back when i was newb i bought this powersupply becuase i was newb and bought it due to high wattage.

now i am unable to get high FSB clocks [215+], so i am blaming the PSU due to its low 12V rails.

as u can see its ranging fom 11.72-11.66 and it fluctates pretty much like that.

After reading this review : http://www.gruntville.com/reviews/PS..._500/page3.php

they stated that the only downfall about the PSU was that it had a fairly low 12V rail, but it was still "acceptable". So im guessing that its "acceptable" to non-OCer's becuase they dont reallly require such a stable 12V rail. Do you think that this is most likely my bottlekneck keeping me at FSB's 215<? If u think it isnt, could this most likely be my motherboard, although others have reported 250+ oc's on my Mobo, are mobo's like CPU's, some good some bad? Please if you think the PSU is the issue, recommend another one.

I am runnign 2 HD's, and 2 CD-Roms, but the 12V rail doesnt change when i take them out so i dont think that is an area of concern.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
what about RAM. hows that doing? Could it be that? is it PC 3200? And that PSU definately stinks, anything by raidmax for PSU is craptacular. I know by experience. The cases are sorta alright tho.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ive tested the ram at 250 FSB at 2.5-3-3-11 and it passed memtest, but i also tested it with the devider, same results. Do u have any recommendations on another PSU?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

To my understanding it takes a really good board to run the FSB much over 200-220 on Socket A boards.

yeah but i think ill be able to do better with a better PSU, cuz that does look horrible right? And plus, evil_xp2400 hit like 250x9 or something

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Antec True Control
PC Power and Cooling 510 Turbo
pretty much anything from Enermax
I just bought a Forton Source 530, will let you guys know how it is when it gets in
OCZ Powerstreme

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
I was thinking the "stability" of a PSU was the amount of fluctuation you get on a specific rail while it is running...so you have .06 and .16 as shown on MBM5. But now I am thinking you all mean variance from spec, so you have .34 and .54. Which is it?

There is no sticky in PSU's...does someone have the subject nailed down and has some time to make a little guide for PSU's? Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtoMicMoNkEy15

yeah its 25A is that bad, what does a higher amount of amerage do, and affect your OC?

Yes, more amperage will net you a better OC, but in your case, I'm not so sure it would. See, the higher you run your CPU and vCore, the more amperage you will need dedicated to the 12v. The more amperage you can draw, the better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.