Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Intel 4950 3.7ghz, 12 gb 1600mhz ram, 240gb ssd, 2 spindle hdd's, gt 1030 fanless
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Epower EP-400PM power supply fan died on me today when I slid the psu into another tower, *** I know. I've been using a table fan to cool my passive cooled card. I worry that the power supply doesn't have enough heat sinks for this. I tore off the shroud and removed the dead fan. Yeah I got a shock. No I didn't touch one of the capacitors. I'm going to try gaming in FAF and see if anything happens.

·
Fix it till its broke
997 Posts
Holy **** are you brave.

Look at those wires.

And that's probably not a good idea. Better check to see if your insurance covers negligence.

Wow.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I hope babies and people with mobility problems don’t live in your building.

·
Registered
Intel 4950 3.7ghz, 12 gb 1600mhz ram, 240gb ssd, 2 spindle hdd's, gt 1030 fanless
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The seller removed all hard drive cages lol. My ssd's are just hanging. I donno what I will do about that. Maybe make a cage out of cardboard? I'll search forums see if anyone came up with a cheap idea for hard drive cages. I don't have a infra red thermometer but I can tell if I turn off the fan after power down the psu is much cooler. I thought the shroud might cool the psu as well, but it doesn't.

·
Registered
681 Posts
My Epower EP-400PM power supply fan died on me today when I slid the psu into another tower, *** I know. I've been using a table fan to cool my passive cooled card. I worry that the power supply doesn't have enough heat sinks for this. I tore off the shroud and removed the dead fan. Yeah I got a shock. No I didn't touch one of the capacitors. I'm going to try gaming in FAF and see if anything happens.
Dude this is hardly worth a post. For heavens sake just buy a new PSU lol...

·
- Insanity Beckons -
4,815 Posts
Dude this is hardly worth a post. For heavens sake just buy a new PSU lol...
Some people around this planet, might not have 'Suitcases' full of money lying around their homes :cool: , hence why they are asking for suggestions here.

This would be myself right back in 1981/82. Was dirt poor back then, so would have done the same thing as this guy so as to, NOT spend anything in making my PC run for another few hours.

·
Premium Member
27,671 Posts
All "those wires" harm nothing. Loose wirign actually cools much better than bunched wiring. bunched puts wire against other wires trapping any heat wires make while loose wires can radiate heat into air around them. ;)

What is dangerous is opening up PSU and touching things! Lots of voltage stored in some of those capacitors. Enough to give you a nasty shock, and even an off chance of killing. Be very careful inside of PSUs!

What Elrick said. Some of us know what it's like to have extremely limited resources (money) .. sometimes not even having enough to eat. Not me now, but I can remember a few times there was barely enough to eat. ;)

·
Fix it till its broke
997 Posts
We have all been poor before, and if you haven’t then you are spoiled. You haven’t lived unless you scraped the bottom. If cash is that tight loot a fan from somewhere and cover that PSU up..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I seriously was unhappy when I took out the fan. It was a normal "120mm" fan? stuck on top of double aluminum heat sinks. You know why the fan died? It over heated. The little electrical motor couldn't handle it. I had a Antec 1000 with racing stripes and that lovely psu had it's fan connected to the shroud on a mount.

I know there are hard core users here that refuse to use table fans to help cool their open towers and insist on using little 80mm fans that push all that heat out of a confined space, their cases. These new graphic cards just don't need them anymore, but still reducing the motherboard down by 10 - 15 degree's C is good, just not pretty. That's what my mod is, downright ugly. For those that are interested I used the windows score test and no problems, since I started this post it's been on and no problems. I don't have any cheese in my case so I don't expect any mice to suicide themselves and cause me undesirable problems.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I know there are hard core users here that refuse to use table fans to help cool their open towers
We fight stupidity by our actions, you can follow us by paying 3$ for a replacement fan at the nearest computers store.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Pshhhh. Right sure. most expensive case fans push 80 cubic feet per minute on average right? I have a honeywell ht900 and it does 185 cubic feet per minute. Aimed at my power supply and in turn cooling my graphics card as well. Even my ram gets cooled by it. If I used a chiller on my cpu it would be a risk. Only risk I have is if I stick my hand on a capacitor, and that's not going to happen. And I've never had a psu blow up on me. I have extended the life of this psu. And I have no kids. no pets. And no cheese in my case. lol more like I'm getting replies by users that think of themselves as comedians. Wasn't meant as a joke, but I see the humor in it.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Pshhhh. Right sure. most expensive case fans push 80 cubic feet per minute on average right? I have a honeywell ht900 and it does 185 cubic feet per minute. Aimed at my power supply and in turn cooling my graphics card as well. Even my ram gets cooled by it. If I used a chiller on my cpu it would be a risk. Only risk I have is if I stick my hand on a capacitor, and that's not going to happen. And I've never had a psu blow up on me. I have extended the life of this psu. And I have no kids. no pets. And no cheese in my case. lol more like I'm getting replies by users that think of themselves as comedians. Wasn't meant as a joke, but I see the humor in it.
That’s good, as long as no other people or pets live in your building.

·
Premium Member
27,671 Posts
Seems a lot of judging with little to no knowledge of OP's environment. OP has no kids, no pets, and no cheese in case (if I had mice I would put cheese in and hopefully get rid of them).

• Rep+
Reactions: speed_demon

·
Fix it till its broke
997 Posts
Honestly it has no bearing on my life at all. But c'mon.. look around you. You see what kind of people are here posting daily. This is an overclockers enthusiast site.. some fellas here are pretty good at what they do. Then you show a picture like that, what kind of response did you honestly think you would get? Sorry you got offended.. but lets be real here.

I think its sweet that its keeping your system cool, and I would do it like that if I had to. But if I had a choice.. that wouldn't be it.

·
Premium Member
27,671 Posts
Guess my point is while the build is a cluttered unorganized mess it is not a danger to OP (or others).
You can slam OP for being unorganized, but unorganized does not make it dangerous.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,802 Posts
Honestly it has no bearing on my life at all. But c'mon.. look around you. You see what kind of people are here posting daily. This is an overclockers enthusiast site.. some fellas here are pretty good at what they do. Then you show a picture like that, what kind of response did you honestly think you would get? Sorry you got offended.. but lets be real here.

I think its sweet that its keeping your system cool, and I would do it like that if I had to. But if I had a choice.. that wouldn't be it.
BUT....it is a supposed overclockers/enthusiast site where the majority of people posting pics value aesthetics over performance or any type of overclocking or enthusiast type of behavior. I find @crowhigh to be far more in the spirit of an overclocker/enthusiast than a kid who spent $1500 on a poor performing loop because it has lots of lights.

·
Graphics Junkie
3,567 Posts
OP, if you posted clear pics of the fan that would be helpful. There is probably a simple way to replace it.

What you are doing is highly unsafe though.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Seems a lot of judging with little to no knowledge of OP's environment. OP has no kids, no pets, and no cheese in case (if I had mice I would put cheese in and hopefully get rid of them).
Neither he has insurance against fire.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
These screenshots are from cpu-z's cpuid program, a motherboard monitor. While encoding a 2 hour video from 1080p to 2160p I use the log function to capture temperatures. While I encoded I also used photoshop cs6 and made these screens by putting together the programs screenshots and reducing resolution to avoid complaints from users with lower bandwidth (users on phones?) I also did a separate log while I played x plane 11 on full graphic settings. I took off from runway and landed. I made this thread to show that 400 watt power supply can be cooled better with a larger fan. I realize now that I should get a infrared thermometer to get an accurate reading without touching it (obviously touching it would be a bad idea) of the temperature of the power supply. From reading comments on this thread I doubt a whole lot of users think of what temperature their power supplies are. What's normal for a power supply or whats good or bad or average. I've seen some power supply's not meant for an industrial environment working away in incredibly dusty and dirty spaces without "blowing up or causing a fire" with tiny little 50mm fans. some of the comments remind me more of facebook then of a forum dedicated to modifying computer components either software or hardware. I guess this forum isn't what it use to be, but it doesn't have to be right?

The motherboard temps are sitting at around 28 to 30'C. My cpu doesn't go above 65'C. My GPU doesn't hit a temp higher than 52.2 Celsius. The room temperature is 20 Celsius.

·
Premium Member
27,671 Posts
What ciarlatano said.

Why did you encode from 1080 to 2160? Just curious because I've been lead to believe it shouldn't be done, ie results are poorer quality than source. That said, I know they do 'restore' old videos making them look much better than originals do.

Not sure what all your graphs represent.
Do you have graphs of similar runs done before you started using big fan?
What is CPU & GPU load during graph test run?
Most encoding software does not use 100% CPU. For example, Handbrake has 5 load priority settings (low, below normal, normal, above normal and high), and even on highest setting user can do light load work without too much lag-time. You said you are doing other things on system while encoding so I'm guess CPU is running 60-80% load range .. so not maximum heat.

As for peeps coming down on you, just let them be. Overclock has thread in Builds, Logs & Case Mods named Post your "ghetto rigging" shenanigans with over 7600 posts. That thread puts your 'ghetto rigging' to shame. :D

Jump to Latesthttps://www.overclock.net/threads/post-your-ghetto-rigging-shenanigans.666445/watch

1 - 20 of 24 Posts