Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a spare computer a while back and parted it out a week ago. When I parted it out, I forgot to turn the power supply off. I was told that if you turn a power supply and its not hooked up to a computer, that it can fry or damage the PSU. I am building a new computer soon, and the PSU was left on - but its not hooked up to anything, just with the rest of my parts.

Will it damage anything if it is left on when I hook everything up in my new build, or can I turn it off right now and not damage it?

Probably a silly question, but I just want to be careful. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by David J. View Post
I built a spare computer a while back and parted it out a week ago. When I parted it out, I forgot to turn the power supply off. I was told that if you turn a power supply and its not hooked up to a computer, that it can fry or damage the PSU. I am building a new computer soon, and the PSU was left on - but its not hooked up to anything, just with the rest of my parts.

Will it damage anything if it is left on when I hook everything up in my new build, or can I turn it off right now and not damage it?

Probably a silly question, but I just want to be careful. Thank you!
where do you hear this stuff ? turn it off plug it in the pc and then on and it will be fine lol .

• Rep+
Reactions: David J.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Turn the switch off now. Hook everything to it. Plug it in the wall. Turn the switch back on and you will be good to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts