Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2nd gtx 260 for SLi. I think I need a beefier power supply to handle it all though. I currently have an 620HX

My EVGA P55 FTW board has 2 8-pin CPU power connectors, the 24 pin main power connect, and I need 4 pci express 6 pin plugs for my dual GTX260s.

I am thinking about the Corsair 750TX or 850TX mainly for the lower cost than the HX counter part...

I don't know if I need both power connectors, but it says it stabilizes overclocks or something.

Are either of these gonna fit the bill for me?

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Just for two GTX260s?

Look at the Antec True Power New 650W. Better performance than the Corsair TX series, and half-modular, for about the same price.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129
View Post

Just for two GTX260s?

Look at the Antec True Power New 650W. Better performance than the Corsair TX series, and half-modular, for about the same price.

Does this antec have the 2 8 pin cpu power leads? what about 4x 6 or 8 pin pci express leads?

I would keep the 620HX but I dont have enough PCI express leads to power them both.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My only concern is the 2nd 8 pin cpu power plug on my board, I randomly had a 6>8 pin adapter so I have 2x8pins plugged into my motherboard, the 24pin, and then the 2x6 for the GTX260. So I just figured I was all maxed out for plugs on the thing.

Gonna have to go get the PSU at bestbuy on CC for now, that why I cant go with the Antec, I don't mind being future proof, that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
the tx is a beast, its like a 100$ 900w psu, i means it ppl have tested and a 750wtx will push out 950w when you need it, comes in an awesome box an baggy 2 and its all sleeved

·
Registered
540 Posts
I just got the Seasonic X650 Gold and LOVE it. It's freaking quiet (my PSU is no longer the loudest thing in my system! And yes my old PSU was louder than my 9800gx2...) has all the connections you need - 4x 6+2pin pcie, 24pin + 2x 4/8pin aux. And 650w is more than you need by over 100w (I put your sig rig specs into http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine to calculate that). Plus it's probably the best rated PSU on the market right now. Check out reviews at JohnnyGuru or SPCR. Johnny said it was the best PSU he'd ever tested.

Is it worth paying $160 for the x650? I think so. PSU runs everything in your system and it's important not to skimp on that. Stable, clean, efficient power. And quiet to boot. Just my 2 cents.
Good luck on your search!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Just use the single 8-pin cpu connector as the second one is useless and will gain you no more stability or overclockability unless you are running OC's that require LN2.

I would run both your GTX260's with your current HX620. It should be able to handle both without issue. If you need more PCI-E cables to run SLI, then just send Joseph at [email protected] an email with your name, address, and an explanation of what you need and he will send you the needed cables for your HX620 free of charge.

I have run GTX260's in SLI with my HX620.....albeit for a short amount of time. Also last year I ran my current GTX285 along with my old GTX260 for folding.......no issues ever.

Don't spend money if you don't have to.....imo.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I have the 850tx and I will never use that much power but 750tx should be fine for u. FYI corsair under rates there psu's so it can run more then 750 just letting you know but great brand nice choice with corsiar

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't doubt that the 620w PSU can power the whole system, I just wasn't sure that I would be able to easily obtain the power cables for the PSU.

I was hoping to just go pick the PSU up at bestbuy, they only list the earthwatts PSUs on their website.

The 750TX is only $10 more than it would be on the egg before the MIR. And I like my corsair PSU.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by identitycrisis View Post
I don't doubt that the 620w PSU can power the whole system, I just wasn't sure that I would be able to easily obtain the power cables for the PSU.
Once you send the email the cables will show up at your door in 7-10 work days.....free. I got my cables in 5 days.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I sent him the email requesting them and gave him my address etc... We will see what happens.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobroufa View Post
I just got the Seasonic X650 Gold and LOVE it. It's freaking quiet (my PSU is no longer the loudest thing in my system! And yes my old PSU was louder than my 9800gx2...) has all the connections you need - 4x 6+2pin pcie, 24pin + 2x 4/8pin aux. And 650w is more than you need by over 100w (I put your sig rig specs into http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine to calculate that). Plus it's probably the best rated PSU on the market right now. Check out reviews at JohnnyGuru or SPCR. Johnny said it was the best PSU he'd ever tested.

Is it worth paying $160 for the x650? I think so. PSU runs everything in your system and it's important not to skimp on that. Stable, clean, efficient power. And quiet to boot. Just my 2 cents.
Good luck on your search!
I missed this post, that's a little rich for me right now, the only reason i got the GPU was because of the price off of the OCN for sale forums. I figured i could buy the 750TX at bestbuy on my CC. Get it, and sell the 620HX for a decent amount to recover the majority of my funds.

I had seasonic in the past and really liked the PSU they produced, it was an old 330watt that ran my athlon 3000+ and eventually my Opteron 165.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Joseph's got your back.....Corsair CS FTW.

Quote:

Originally Posted by identitycrisis View Post
I had seasonic in the past and really liked the PSU they produced
In the past and present......HX620 is built by Seasonic.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts