Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts
There are a few Rosewill Tachyon and Kingwin Lazer Platinum units heavily discounted at the moment, and they're using an evolved version of the same platform underlying the Capstone units.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cheapest one after the promo code is still a little bit over my budget, but I'll see what I can do.

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts
If modularity is not important, the Kingwin Absolute Platinum 550W is a helluva deal at the moment. if not, the Capstone-M you initially picked makes a great deal also.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need to stick to something modular since I'm working with a BitFenix Ghost and the cable management isn't all that gread. Guess I'll stick to the one I originally posted, but is it able to power two GTX 670s right?

I am somewhat power supply illiterate
tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
For 2 670's its perfect even for 2 680's or a 690

• Rep+
Reactions: Original Sin

·
Premium Member
3,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makol View Post

Awesome.

I just found these two on NCIX US for $99, would either one of these be much better?

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=78574&vpn=CP-9020061-NA&manufacture=Corsair

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=73229&promoid=1324

Better in the sense of more bang for the buck.
CX750M would be a significant downgrade (well, it's built cheaper). The XFX is better but still a downgrade.

If you want to stick under $100, go with the original Capstone-M, if you haven't already. That's a good find for under $90.

·
Premium Member
3,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makol View Post

Ah ok, thanks. I'll order the Capstone tomorrow then.

And just is know, what makes the other two downgrades? Just so I know for future reference.

I also just found this as it just went on sale today http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182133&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL030113&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL030113-_-EMC-030113-Index-_-PowerSupplies-_-17182133-L04C
HIVE is good too, solid but also a downgrade.

In general, the overall electrical design and topology, electric components, layout (both electrically and physically), manufacturing quality, fan, fan speed control, construction, paint job, wiring, connectors, and so on could be different and worse.

Capstone-M would be superior in electric design compared to the others, definitely in electric components over the HIVE and CX, and maybe some other things. Overall, you get more-stable power outputs (though maybe not by much; the others you listed definitely aren't bad and may be slightly better individually in some ways), higher efficiency, quieter operation, probably higher long-term reliability compared to the CX and HIVE. Hard to say for sure, especially regarding longevity.

If you don't really care, I wouldn't knock you for taking the HIVE 750W for a cool $70. That's a great deal too.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
thumb.gif

I think I may just go with the Hive 750W since money is a bit tight at the moment. And while $100 is the top of my budget I rather not have to spend that much, since I am still saving up for a second GTX 670..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts