Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please help what does the ez stand for.and what can i expect overclocking wise,it defaults at core 398 mem 203,many thanks

·
Banned
2,222 Posts
err......wrong area
but still EZ means the card is a pile of crap in a nutshell as its fitted with the older and slower TSOP memory instead of what a real 9600pro has which is BGA memory. OCing wise the core will more than likely do 450MHz+ as for memory difficult to say without knowing the nanosecond rating of the chips so just keep going until you see artifacts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers for that never realised that ,it will go 455 core and 260 mem,am i doing much damage running it at those specks all the time.as for preformance it runs half life 2 at full spec, with no probs what so ever,and far cry runs mega cool as well,so it cant be that bad a card,whats the next best go for 9800se and open pipelines or go to next generation cards,many thanks PAUL

·
Banned
2,222 Posts
no your not really doing the card any harm, ive run a 5700u heavily ocd 24\\7 and a 9800pro heavily ocd 24\\7 and soon to be a 6800 heavily ocd 24\\7, none of them have ever been damaged. oh and ive run a 9600pro mega OCd and that ran fine too, until i dropped a soldering iron on it lol. as for upgrades a 9800pro is a great card if budget is tight, next good choice is a 6800NU, and if u got cash to splash either a x800 or 6800 series card. best performance to price at the moment is the 6800NU.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
you game for 24 hrs+?

cripes!

He's right though, today's vid cards will run themselves into the ground, and typically if they hit said ground, you clock them back..and viola..like nothing happened.

If you clock em too much, they just won't run, they rarely DIE from overclocking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanx 4 help,money is very tight,will try and get a 9800se or this 6800nu,card cheers 4 your help,you must say my card is better than some lol.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey there.

I too found a PowerColor Radeon 9600Pro EZ with 256MB in a store for about $100. What got me thinking after reading this post was: what if I can overclock the card to perform more or less like a 9700Pro? Because then I would have a 9700Pro with 256MB of VRAM, which is very welcome. But like it's mentioned in this post, I'm reluctant about the memory issue. It does not use BGA, so... I don't know if to shell out the money because if I can't get it to perform like a 9700Pro then it's like dead money :S

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
r well suppose i got a bad card here then,funny when you read the manuals,thay always say what a brilliant card you have brought,better start saving,but whats brilliant today,how can it be so crap the day after,strange things these graphics cards,you can never keep up,i live in the uk,and money is hard to find over here.

·
Banned
2,222 Posts
any 9600 series card: 4 pipes 128bit memory
any 9700 series card: 8 pipes 256bit memory

moral of story is, a 9600 series can never be as powerful as a 9700 series

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hahaha

Well, I guess you're right. I was just wondering how much I could get out of that thing. For the price and the amount of VRAM it looks kinda lovely. I guess I'll better save so I can change my mobo to a PCI-e someday.

·
Banned
2,222 Posts
if you need a new card like right now and your on a budget look at a 9600XT, great card and still runs HL2 and doom3 well, and of course OCing only helps its cause further

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
being on incapacity benifit i got no chance,got loads of good bits so gonna search around to see if i can do a swap,never thought there could be such a differance between a ez and an xt,you can pick a xt up over here for £80.00,which is very cheap if ya have the money

1 - 15 of 15 Posts