Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering why this card hasn't gotten more attention. Powercolor PCS+ AX7970 vortex II It has 1100/ 1425 core clock/effecting memory clock which I believe is the highest of any single 7970 out of the box, plus I've read of a few members getting 1280 with stock cooler, so I'm very excited to get mine this friday.

Before this I had an asus 7970 card and this thing was a bit of a headache. I'm sure a lot of it had to do with the older drivers, but it was voltage locked, couldn't get above 1025, or 1050 core clock(I can't remember which) had sagging problems, and the only way around the voltage lock was to use an asus motherboard (nice gimmick).

I have big hopes for the powercolor, and I'm wondering if anyone on here has any experience with them. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post

have you already placed the order. do you want to spend 400 bucks on HD 7970 ? here is the sapphire HD 7950 boost which is one of the best reviewed cards on newegg. easily overclocks to 1.1 - 1.15 ghz at stock voltage.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202006

here is the card at superbiiz with the game bundle

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?p=AT-7950BST
Yes I already placed my order, and I don't mind spending the money for the 7970. Especially one with best core clock out of the box available, and considering I plan to run triple monitor next gen racing games it is really the only choice if I decide to do multiple GPU's in the future.

Also, most of those reviews with DOA cards are at launch, which is not where we're at. I ordered with amazon as well so if there is any problem with my card at all, I'll be getting a refund.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niexist View Post

Yes I already placed my order, and I don't mind spending the money for the 7970. Especially one with best core clock out of the box available, and considering I plan to run triple monitor next gen racing games it is really the only choice if I decide to do multiple GPU's in the future.

Also, most of those reviews with DOA cards are at launch, which is not where we're at. I ordered with amazon as well so if there is any problem with my card at all, I'll be getting a refund.
Do you have an update on your experience with this card?

- Overclocking
- Voltage
- Temps

I'm looking at this card also. Thanks.

·
Frequency is Megabytes
2,997 Posts
Quote:

Don't get a refund do a RMA, trust me I did an experiment with a friend.

For all of you guys out there Powercolor is the ATI EVGA.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Quote:

I am wondering why this card hasn't gotten more attention. Powercolor PCS+ AX7970 vortex II It has 1100/ 1425 core clock/effecting memory clock which I believe is the highest of any single 7970 out of the box, plus I've read of a few members getting 1280 with stock cooler, so I'm very excited to get mine this friday.

Before this I had an asus 7970 card and this thing was a bit of a headache. I'm sure a lot of it had to do with the older drivers, but it was voltage locked, couldn't get above 1025, or 1050 core clock(I can't remember which) had sagging problems, and the only way around the voltage lock was to use an asus motherboard (nice gimmick).

I have big hopes for the powercolor, and I'm wondering if anyone on here has any experience with them. Thanks in advance!
This card while awesome looking is very problematic and is also a poor overclocker. Read its Newegg feedback and you'll be nervous investing $400 in this card. It used to be listed at ~$500 rivaling the Lightning 7970 and is now $389... go figure...

Card also has no vram cooling and so even if you receive a good WORKING sample, overclocking will be limited due to this design miscue

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruennis View Post

This card while awesome looking is very problematic and is also a poor overclocker. Read its Newegg feedback and you'll be nervous investing $400 in this card. It used to be listed at ~$500 rivaling the Lightning 7970 and is now $389... go figure...

Card also has no vram cooling and so even if you receive a good WORKING sample, overclocking will be limited due to this design miscue
My Powercolor card has no vram cooling. It is the lower end red pcb 7970 and i have had it up to 1250/1675....

·
Registered
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruennis View Post

I think you might need to go see a gynecologist so he can remove your head from your rear.

Overclocking is never guaranteed. There's a reason it's called the "Silicon Lottery"

There's a couple issues with this card. No VRAM/VRM cooling and it takes up slightly more than 2 slots. The only other issue noted in the Newegg reviews were DOA cards. Not a lot I can really say about that though.
It is however quite quiet, very good looking, and from personal experience, the lack of VRAM/VRM cooling is a non-issue on stock volts. I haven't really tested to see how it fairs when you give it moar volts.

It's actually got some pretty good voltage regulators too. It uses the IR3553M chip which, If I'm right, are rated at 40A which is quite nice. I believe it's the same as the IR3553 but if I'm wrong, someone please correct me..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overclockers.com View Post

Above we have a special treat on the GIGABYTE X79 boards, the award winning IR Power Stages, these are the IR3553M and are capable of 40A per phase with up to 1MHz switching frequency. They have excellent characteristics, and run pretty cool, thus no heatsink. They are basically a driver and two MOSFETs in one, thus called a powerstage.

On an off topic note, does anyone know what VRMs the Lightning uses?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4ze0ne View Post

Do you have an update on your experience with this card?

- Overclocking
- Voltage
- Temps

I'm looking at this card also. Thanks.
Honestly, I haven't done much OC'ing with this card. I have been slightly scared to do it to be honest. I have it running triple monitor setup for iracing, and other games that I play. My base voltage is 1.194, and it seems to crash whenever I raise it up past the 1100/1425. I did a little bit of experimenting with cranking up the voltage on it, and was able to get much higher, but when running 3dmark11 there was artifacting all over the screen.

The ASIC score on the card I got is 60.9%, so it is definetely a bottom of the barrel one, but I'm not interested really in RMA, or returning it because it's worked great for me, especially compared to the ASUS directCUII top card that I bought that was voltage locked.

I haven't made any custom fan profiles for it, but when I did manually change it to 100 on the fan and put it under stress it was staying around 65 degrees. If anyone could point me toward a SAFE gpu overclocking guide I'd be happy to give more detailed results.

Also I get about 10.5k graphic rating in 3dmark11

·
Overclocked
3,924 Posts
Looks like even with the high bin on this card. One is still under the mercy of silicon lottery.
Some couldn't get it above stock clocks, while others reported they can do even 1300 MHz with it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Quote:

Honestly, I haven't done much OC'ing with this card. I have been slightly scared to do it to be honest. I have it running triple monitor setup for iracing, and other games that I play. My base voltage is 1.194, and it seems to crash whenever I raise it up past the 1100/1425. I did a little bit of experimenting with cranking up the voltage on it, and was able to get much higher, but when running 3dmark11 there was artifacting all over the screen.

The ASIC score on the card I got is 60.9%, so it is definetely a bottom of the barrel one, but I'm not interested really in RMA, or returning it because it's worked great for me, especially compared to the ASUS directCUII top card that I bought that was voltage locked.

I haven't made any custom fan profiles for it, but when I did manually change it to 100 on the fan and put it under stress it was staying around 65 degrees. If anyone could point me toward a SAFE gpu overclocking guide I'd be happy to give more detailed results.

Funny thing is, my ASIC is 59.5% and I'm sitting at 1175/1550 at the same voltage as you. It used to be 1.174 iirc but for whatever reason it went up slightly.

Have you tried here yet?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr0ve View Post

Quote:

Funny thing is, my ASIC is 59.5% and I'm sitting at 1175/1550 at the same voltage as you. It used to be 1.174 iirc but for whatever reason it went up slightly.

Have you tried here yet?
GPUTool is still relevant?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashFir View Post

GPUTool is still relevant?
Don't know about anyone else but I still use it and haven't found any reasons to stop yet.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey all, sorry but I've been having fun with my new card. Here is a little info however.

1) gputool isn't working properly, current clocks are -1 mhz, and gpu clock/memory clock is not adjustible.

2)When I use catalyst to try and overclock I'm having very poor results, same with voltage enabled in MSI afterburner. I can get around 1125 core clock, and memory clock really seems to run slower when I raise it up. I'm putting the power control to +20%.

I'm not sure if this card just isn't meant for overclocking or what. I've been happy with it though it can run pretty much anything I throw at it on my triple monitor setup. A few games it won't work with ultra like hitman absolution, I get major frame loss.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
erm I think I've been slightly negligent. I did a little more testing, and with voltage set at 1.250 in MSI afterburner I was able to reach 1185/1490 temps no higher than 77 on this card with my terrible ASIC score, I used the method in the guide provided even gputool was not working properly, the benchmarking/artifacting test was working, and was incredibly efficient.

This raised my score on 3dmark11 from 10522 to 11354 so a considerable gain, I'm glad I checked back and really went through the steps that is a pretty large fps gain.

·
Registered
245 Posts
doh.gif
Forgot to mention, the only thing in GPUTool I use is the stress test. I use MSI AB/Sapphire Trixx for clocks/voltages/etc.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr0ve View Post

doh.gif
Forgot to mention, the only thing in GPUTool I use is the stress test. I use MSI AB/Sapphire Trixx for clocks/voltages/etc.
well turns out these overclocks weren't stable in much besides 3dmark11, so they're pretty useless, I'm going to give it another try today, but it's rather frustrating when you are running windows 8 and you get a driver crash it's darn near impossible to get a mouse cursor to the task manager to kill the program causing the error.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Without doing a lot of experimentation because I have a 55 hour a week job, and love to play iracing, and other games on my time off I've found myself to be system stable with these settings

core voltage 1.250 (VDDC in gpu-z reads 1.240 for some reason?)
power limit +20%
Core clock : 1175
Memory Clock: 1479
highest temp during normal gaming :73
highest VRM temp during normal gaming :71

Are these safe levels for 24/7 use? Or should I try and scale back the power limit some?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Id comfortably run mosfets rated for 120C up to 90C load on game peak. For average load on game I'd go no higher than 85c for daily use.

you're TOTALLY FINE DUDE!
thumb.gif
Add more voltage if you want!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts