Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well up until recently i remembered when video cards didn;t require external power adapters in order to function at full potential. But when building my system i noticed my e-geforce 6800 gs required it from 2 female power sources in order to function. Well there came the predicament, I had a 400 w power supply wich i thought was going to be more then enough for this power house but then i noticed the mobo required direct power plus my hdd and my dvdr drive that left only 1 free 4 pin power connector. So i went and got some old computer wires from my pentium 1 mobo and made a splitter to split off that 1 male into two males to connect to the video card.

I didn't buy a fancy psu, just am using the one that came with case. Now here in lies the problem. Its 14 amps, and 400 watts, everything seems to be running off of it fine but am i draining too much power from it. It's an SLI so i plan to in a year or two buy another 6800 or whatever and attach them together requireing another 2 more free male connectors for max. performance.

The question is that im planning to oc my 3800 x2 (Toledo). Can I make do for right now with my one 6800 gs and overclock my 3800 to maybe 2.6 or 2.7max or will the power supply die or even worse fry everything to hell.

Any help and input will be apprechiated.

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
I would reccomend a new PSU. The 12v A is below the reccomended for the video card, and you need a very stable PSU to keep enough power flowing to the CPU. I'd reccomend a Sunbeam Nuuo, a 400 or 550W Fortron, or my PSU. Mine's got 28a on the 12v rail and was $46.50 at NewEgg.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im looking for something cost efficiant

thats the main thing

i plan on adding another sli vid card so i guess i do need something more powerful.

any other recommendations.

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
I would have gotten an FSP. They get around 18A generally on each of the rails. If you want SLI, you'll want a better PSU that's SLI certified. I'd seriously reccomend cancelling that order and getting the NUUO. It'll last you a little while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts