Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's going to be upgrade time this summer. I'm going with Ivy obviously, and will be upgrading from xfire 6970's... maybe. This is where I need help.

My cards perform perfectly fine for my gaming needs since I use one monitor out of preference(and I have a 1 yr old). They're loud and consume a lot of power. I'm finally going to have everything under water as I've been slowly buying fittings/base components. It would be great to have one card with a block. Due to the cost of GPU water-cooling, it makes getting a 680 worth it.

Looking for any advice, thanks!

Edit: Since I use one monitor, and want to do liquid with a cpu/mobo upgrade, should I stay xfire 6970's or get a 680?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
You broke it!
14,286 Posts
Your two cards are about as powerful combined as a single 680, so if the cost to water cool them is the same as a single 680 water cooled, or not, then I would get the 680. Even if it was a little more I would get a 680 and not have to worry about the potential issues with XFire.

·
Old Fartero
777 Posts
Super top end is really only needed for 2560x1600, below that you're fine with a step down (often saving a bunch of money).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did some calculations last night and I think my 850 watt PSU may be under too much load with the liquid components and two 6970's.

So I guess I answered my own question. Thanks for the feedback! Likely going to get a 680, depending what's available come purchase time.

·
Back to Building
4,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by divide_by_zero View Post

I did some calculations last night and I think my 850 watt PSU may be under too much load with the liquid components and two 6970's.
So I guess I answered my own question. Thanks for the feedback! Likely going to get a 680, depending what's available come purchase time.
850w is fine for 2x 6970s. I had this on an 850w

i7 970 @ 4.25
2x 6970s (power cap +20) 1020/1500 1.27v
MCP35x water pump
4x Mechanical drives
9x 120mm LED fans

and it was fine running OCCT.

I switched to a single 7970 because im only on a single 1080p screen and i wanted to lower my electric cost and no micro stuttering

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a buyer lined up for my 6970's, so the money from those, and only having to buy one gpu block, will come close to covering the cost of the new gpu.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I have 2x6950s (both unlocked) running off a 650W PSU.

I will be upgrading, but only because I loathe AMD drivers (oh, and also because of my 120hz monitor).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts