Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
10,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first computer I bought was a Dell. This was before I knew better. I occasionally get Dell mailings, and I just got their holiday catalog. Their high end system, the XPS 700, goes for $3829! For that much you think you'd be getting something sick, but this is was what listed:

Intel C2D E6300
Windows XP Media Center Edition
20.1" Display
2 GB RAM
320 gig hard drive
DVD Drive, CD/DVD Drive
Dual 1GB GeForce 7950 GX2 in SLI
2.1 channel 30 watt speakers
Phsyx Accelerator
3 year warranty

Not a bad computer, but certainly not worth almost $4000. Here's something similar (and better) with parts from newegg.

E6300 - $183.50
Windows XP MCE - $110
20.1 Display - $270
2GB RAM - $300
320 gig hard drive - $95
2x DVD Drives - $60
2x 7950's - $1040
2.1 channel speakers - $50
PhysiX Accelerator - $205
Mobo - $270
Case - $60
PSU - $150

Total without Shipping: $2793.50
A difference of: $1035.50

You could go even cheaper with a similar build, but you get the point. Such a rip off!

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,797 Posts
Thanks for proving common knowledge.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
My system was prebuilt, and cost less than all the components sold separately at the time.

However, I didh't buy from Dell, and I never will.

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Yeah, it's good to see it in writing. Besides...WHERE is the fun in buying a pre-built computer???

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
It is nice to see how the systems w/ "quality" parts stacks up w/ a system you could build your self (get the thrill of the build) with even better parts. (idk... say 8800's, better MoBo, better CPU, and you're still under the other price)

·
Banned
10,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ae804
View Post

It is nice to see how the systems w/ "quality" parts stacks up w/ a system you could build your self (get the thrill of the build) with even better parts. (idk... say 8800's, better MoBo, better CPU, and you're still under the other price)

Yea you definitely can pick better parts and still stay under that price. I was just trying to keep it somewhat similar. And I know this is common knowledge. I'm just p'od that I bought a Dell as my first rig. Silly me. At least I got about $400 back from it (originally $1200).

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Some people are willing to pay a premium for a good custom pre-built pc. Yes, if you know how to do it yourself you can save money. Obviously people like us wouldn't do it so........................

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ae804
View Post

Yeah, and you can debug it yourself if a problem arises. And you can upgrade it along a future-proof path YOU define, not some dork in a DELL lab.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
At first glance you're right, it's insanely over priced. Compared to what it costs you to build it, that's correct.

The rub, however, is two fold:

First, the business (i.e. Dell) has a lot of costs associated with building the machine aside from just parts. They've got labor, rent, insurance, advertising, RMA support, warranty support, utilities, etc. Lots of things that we as consumers often over look.

Second, Dell has to make a profit - they are a business after all

So while I completely agree with anyone who says you pay more for a pre-built in some cases than you do to build it yourself, it's not always a rip off exactly (many people, for example, need the warranty support), and we must also realize it's not as though that $1000+ markup is pure profit.

·
Old Timer
4,895 Posts
Yes, the Dell XPS systems are horribly overpriced, because they dont sell very many of them, since most people who care enough about computers to know or care what a GeFroce 7950GX2 is know enough to build their own, so Dell needs to charge more to cover the costs.

However, their Optiplex line of business computers are VERY nice! I don't think any of us could build a better system. No, they don't have a high-end video card (or even a PCI-E slot), and no, they don't have a window or anything like that. But, they are SILENT and are built very well. They are more solid then any but the nicest custom cases, and the cable management is AMAZING! If any part were to go bad (which doesn't happen very often) it would take 5 mins to replace it.

·
Banned
148 Posts
lmao yes prebuilt computers SUCK
5-6 years ago i got this from DELL:

P4 Williamette 1.7GHz
Intel mobo (sig)
32GB IDE HDD (40GB)
nVIDIA GeForce 3400
16'' CRT
256MB PC2700 RAM
Creative Soundblaster Live! Audio (sound card)
wireless dell keyboard & mouse
2.1 harman/kardon speakers
DVD-ROM
CD-Burner
250W PSU

Total?
Only about 3600$ (CAD)

(Remember that was like 5-6 years ago)
Good thing i upgraded a little LOL.

·
OVERCLOCK IT OR DIE
7,336 Posts
I actually recommend HP over Dell and then only to people 35+ yrs old.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts