Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody.

I think it's time I get down to overclocking this x3. Right now I have the stock HSF and am looking to replace it with budget conscious but still decent. Using Core Temp it tells me that my CPU is doing 28C at idle and about 42C under load on OCCT. How should I go about this? I have only ever overclocked a GPU before and never my CPU so be gentle.

Thanks

·
Old dog, old tricks
9,755 Posts
Before overclocking, try to unlock, if you haven't alredy.
Some x3's are crappy OCers, but unlock to Phenom II x4. Others (like mine) overclock decent, but don't unlock.
With proper cooling I can hit 4.0Ghz right away @1.42v. What cooler will you be using? (Stock? -DON'T overclock it. Those chips tend to get pretty hot at high freqs)

Performance raise from overclocking is Amazing! It scales brilliantly as frequencies rise - 31Gflops @stock 3.2Ghz, 38Gflops @4Ghz.

For the details, there is a guide in my sig with pretty much everything I know, written for first time OCers
smile.gif
Take a look at it first
wink.gif

Cheers and good luck!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried to unlock the 4th core previously and it booted up and still said it was an x3 Athlon. But I may have done it wrong.

I was looking at a Corsair A50, Xigmatek Gaia or for a bit more maybe the CM212.

·
Premium Member
4,265 Posts
I would not suggest using a rifle style cooler like the 212 on that motherboard. The stock HSF is designed to blow air over the CPU VRMs and other surrounding components. More over-clocking-enthusiast oriented boards have more VRMs or heat-sinks on them or both. I would not want to sacrifice VRM cooling from the CPU fan and then go abusing the VRMs with an overclocked CPU. It's just not smart.

I suggest something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103046

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdocod;14164940
I would not suggest using a rifle style cooler like the 212 on that motherboard. The stock HSF is designed to blow air over the CPU VRMs and other surrounding components. More over-clocking-enthusiast oriented boards have more VRMs or heat-sinks on them or both. I would not want to sacrifice VRM cooling from the CPU fan and then go abusing the VRMs with an overclocked CPU. It's just not smart.

I suggest something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103046
I was going to put some heatsinks on the VRMs. I forgot to mention that :p

I'm not going to be looking for a crazy 4GHz OC, just something modest.

Would that work? On newegg they sell small heatsinks with thermal tape I was considering using.

EDIT: saw that HSF you suggested, looks pretty mean. Do those have ram clearance issues?

·
Premium Member
4,265 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SammyG
View Post

EDIT: saw that HSF you suggested, looks pretty mean. Do those have ram clearance issues?

That HSF performs as well as many big rifle style coolers and is certainly worth a look. Especially in your case with less aggressive OC goals in mind.

As far as clearance issues. I am under the impression that is is high enough off the mobo to clear most ram kits (as long as you don't have big tall ram-sinks it should be fine). As far as other spacing is concerned... figure it's about a 120mm square, so check around in your configuration and make sure that there aren't any highly elevated components within a chunk matching that "square."

Eric

1 - 7 of 7 Posts