Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I got a zalman 9500 a while ago and I have been fooling around overclocking and I can't seem to get a stable oc over 3.8. I have the voltage at 1.48 and at 3.8 I idle at around 38-39 and full load at 58-59. I read some where that I shouldn't push my cpu over 65 full load and over 1.51 for vcore. Do you think it would be safe form me to up my vcore to 1.51? Oh yeah, I have OCZ bronze pc3200. I set the timings to 3-4-4-8 and the voltage up .4 when i oc. I want to stay safe but I also want to hit 4ghz. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
You can put 1.525(as per intel) and up to 1.7 or more depending on your cooling. On air with your cooler I wouldn't go any higher. I have never liked zalman coolers. Good for quiet....just ok for cooling.
Your cpu will start to throttle itself at 67 or so....your getting close. Also check the AS5(if you used it...if not...do so.) because you should be getting better temps than you are. Try reaplying it and re-seating the heatsink.

• Rep+
Reactions: FiveofCups

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just finished reapplying my as5 and my temps are down a couple degrees for idle. I haven't checked full load yet, but i'm sure there is improvement there too. Tomorrow I will throw it up to 4ghz and see what happens at 1.5. Thank you for the posts.

·
Registered
92 Posts
mexxt, did you say you are running 4ghz at 50c? if not, what temp are you running? i am wonder because i am trying to push mine up to 4ghz and am having temp problems...

at 3.46ghz 1.45vcore under full load i am hitting 61c with my side pannel off, 65-66c with it on....

i am using as5, which i purchased and applied only about 30 min ago so it may need to break in....

·
Registered
92 Posts
scratch last post, checked your profile, your running 50c load and 35 idle.... doing anyting special there? I just upped mine...

4.01 Ghz 1.58vcore 52c idle

cant get prime 95 to do a full load test because it crashes from temp first...

i have a plastic window in the side pannel, if i were to mod it with a fan blowing in think it would help? 120mm fan maby?

(dont mean to hijack the thread fiveofcups, just seems relivent here)

...i know i cant spell...

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
yes a fan in the side of the case will drop temps by a few degrees, it would be even better if you put ducting from the fan to the cpu... u might see 4-5c drop

·
Registered
661 Posts
Perhaps a better cooler? Try the xp-90, xp-120, or the Bt (big Typhoon) Should get your temps down by alot. And made sure to put just the right amount of AS5...i used to put a little dot but my temps sucked, so i switched to putting the little dot and smoothing it out on the Heatsink using a plastic card.

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
With prescotts the typhoon is the only air cooler I would use, I have several prescott's in my folding farm with typhoons not one is over 50c. folding 24/7 all maxed overclocked. And as5 is the best thermal compound out there, it takes at least 200 hours to cure, maybe a 1c. to 3c. drop.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I put it up to 4ghz at 1.51 vcore and after running Prime95 cpu torture test I got up to 60-61. I'm idling at about 40c. Do you guys think this is safe or should i put it down a bit? I don't think my temps will get that high playing games,but i don't want any chance that my cpu will burn out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i dont think it would burn up... P4's are suppost to have a safety that kicks the speed back down if it gets to hot... if anything you will be in the middle of a game and stuff will start sucking

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
FiveofCups,

I got my Prescott up to 4GHz on air with 1.55v, and an XP90 with a 64CFM fan and (of course) some AS5. My Temps were around 68°C Full load though, which is a bit uncomfortable, but within the pressys thermal tolerances. With water cooling I can bring this down to 64°C, which is what the CPU ran at (at full load) with the stock cooler and stock thermal pad when at 3GHz... It was Prime95 stable with the air cooling and now with water cooling.

Highly-Annoyed

·
Banned
87 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by busa

You can put 1.525(as per intel) and up to 1.7 or more depending on your cooling. On air with your cooler I wouldn't go any higher. I have never liked zalman coolers. Good for quiet....just ok for cooling.
Your cpu will start to throttle itself at 67 or so....your getting close. Also check the AS5(if you used it...if not...do so.) because you should be getting better temps than you are. Try reaplying it and re-seating the heatsink.

Can you really push the vcore to 1.7 on water? without damage? or long term problems?

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
So you are stable at 4.01 but just a little hot? Volting generates heat , so you might want to fiddle with the vcore now to see if you can lower it a smidge and still get the OC you want--no sense in over-juicing it beyond exactly what you need.

Might also want to check your mobo hot spots and look into a Northbridge HS or at least duct some air on it--that and the voltage regulator on the mobo get pretty hot and cooling them down might help you reach the OC you want without so much thermal stress on the CPU...

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
The Prescott I have runs stock at 1.4v, so at 1.55v it's about 10.7% higher than stock. At 1.7v it would be 21.4% higher than stock, which IMO is too high for your CPU to function at without medium/long term damage. Remember, it's not only heat that does the damage, voltage alone (through quantum tunnelling) can damage your CPU too.

Highly-Annoyed

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mndlfox

Can you really push the vcore to 1.7 on water? without damage? or long term problems?

I can't see why pushing the vcore would be all that necessary except at the outer limits of OC. My Vcore is 1.36 and I'm clocked at 4.09 and folding at a balmy 55c...must be the mobo.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the responses. You guys have been a great help. I am going to keep it at 4ghz and 1.51 so it will be prime95 stable. I guess I will just have to get used to 60c load temps. Once the as5 sets in they should go down a couple degrees and while playing games I don't think I'll get as hot as prime95.

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FiveofCups

Thanks for all the responses. You guys have been a great help. I am going to keep it at 4ghz and 1.51 so it will be prime95 stable. I guess I will just have to get used to 60c load temps. Once the as5 sets in they should go down a couple degrees and while playing games I don't think I'll get as hot as prime95.

My Pressy ran @ about 63°C with the stock cooler and stock thermal pad @ the stock speed of 3GHz, with stock voltage of 1.38v/1.4v.

The Prescott core CPU is rated to 69.1°C and will function up to 73°C, so @ 60°C you will have no trouble with it.

When I run my Pressy @ 4GHz (on water) with a v-core of 1.55v I get a max full load temp of 60°C, so you're doing well with air cooling!

Highly-Annoyed

1 - 20 of 20 Posts