Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I'm just about at my wits end(and this doesn't bode well for a network technology major) but I am having major problems with my routers(I think?).

I have a belkin N+ f5d8235 router and a d-link DIR-601 router that I am having the same issues with. Both were brand new and both kinda work.
The problem is this whenever I connect multiple pc's to my network I get huge latency spikes. When I wire my sig rig into the modem directly I get normal latency and jitter; but when I plug my system into one of the routers and connect multiple wireless pc's my latency jumps from 65ms and 1ms jitter, to anywhere from 400-600ms ping and 20-60 jitter(testing against the same server).

My question is are both my routers shot? Or is the issue on my isp's end?

I was so excited the other day because I thought I fixed the problem. I disabled The WEP security I had set up and it seemingly went away (I can only have WEP security because one of the computers on my network has a really old wireless card), but the problem came back.

FYI the network does the same thing when I have that old PC off the network.

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

p.s. I rep helpful posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
maybe you have interference when you use wifi. the wifi signal degrades as you get further away from it, or have the signal go through stuff like walls. see if you dont have (it may sound ridiculous) any metal-like objects or something of that nature blocking/around the wifi antenna. some metal-like objects could be metal file cabinet, metal desks, etc.

you can also try changing the wireless channel of the routers. usually by default, routers are set to 2.4Ghz or something else. just like how you can sometimes hear interference on a radio on some channels and it's clear on others, changing the frequency may improve the signal strength. (some wireless phones also work at 2.4ghz)

if possible, try testing the routers in different parts of your house and see if the problems continue. ideally, keep the router at a central point in your house for best coverage.

hope it helps

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by infomancer
View Post

maybe you have interference when you use wifi. the wifi signal degrades as you get further away from it, or have the signal go through stuff like walls. see if you dont have (it may sound ridiculous) any metal-like objects or something of that nature blocking/around the wifi antenna. some metal-like objects could be metal file cabinet, metal desks, etc.

you can also try changing the wireless channel of the routers. usually by default, routers are set to 2.4Ghz or something else. just like how you can sometimes hear interference on a radio on some channels and it's clear on others, changing the frequency may improve the signal strength. (some wireless phones also work at 2.4ghz)

if possible, try testing the routers in different parts of your house and see if the problems continue. ideally, keep the router at a central point in your house for best coverage.

hope it helps

I have tried all that and no difference. I wasn't clear before, I get the high latency even on my desktop which is wired directly to the router.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by redmustang
View Post

I have tried all that and no difference. I wasn't clear before, I get the high latency even on my desktop which is wired directly to the router.

ohhh. have you tried resetting them to factory defaults or restore them?

in one of my experiences, my friend's router started to slow down. it eventually stopped be able to connect to the internet even though you could access the wifi and the setup page (wired and wireless). i suspect that your routers are gonna stop working altogether like my friend's did.

i will suggest that if your routers continue to be f
ing slow, you can invest in the linksys wrt54g. though it may be wireless g, they are really good in terms of longevity and customization (ddwrt, tomato).

sorry i could be of much help :/

·
Premium Member
18,195 Posts
I would open cmd and do a tracert to say google.com when connected to the router and when your not and watch and see if you have the same internet ip each time. Also look and see if the routers have any firmware updates.

• Rep+
Reactions: redmustang

·
Registered
468 Posts
So you tested two scenarios:

1. PC directly into modem, works fine.

2. Router to modem, multiple PCs to router. Doesn't work.

How about trying connect router to modem, but only connect one PC?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I'm not sure if you've tried already, but tracert should give the latency of each hop through the network, allowing you to see what's causing the slowdowns.

I'm thinking they may just be a bad router design, but I'm not entirely sure.

If you're looking for a new router, I suggest you get something that's dd-wrt capable, because as a networking guy, you would really appreciate all the options they give you for your network.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by arctia
View Post

How about trying connect router to modem, but only connect one PC?

This.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I think I may have found the problem. My sister does online school(charter school), and they provide her with a free laptop. I think this laptop either has a virus or the school may have a crappy VPN set up on it. It shows an alternate connection (says its a domain not a VPN)that always connects when you are connected to the web. I can't disable it without it enabling itself again in a few minutes, and I can't access the properties because I don't have admin rights.

I think they are sending her another laptop because this one has some physical damage, but it will most likely have that same domain thingy.

Would this domain thingy cause my problems? If not could the issue be a virus?

p.s. the domain isn't a virus(I don't think) it was on the comp when she got it, and its name looks legit(Its school related).

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I guess if she's using a secure tunnel to a secure server, that would take up some active bandwidth. You also said there were computers connecting to the router wirelessly, how many? Perhaps the router's wireless processer isn't strong enough to handle so many connections. You could take one of your extra routers and use it as the access point and have the main router only connect with wired connections and run the DHCP. Or you could get some extra Cat 5 and run a cables to your sisters desk where she normally would work with that vpn. Have you tried only having the computers connected via physical cables? If all computers were connected via cable, and no wireless connection, that would rule out a problem with the wireless.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have tried the multiple routers option, and in my mind the wireless is fine.
There are anywhere from 2-6 devices on the wifi at a time. The reason I think it isn't the wifi is because even if I have just 2 devices on at a time, when one of them is the PC in question I have the issue. At this point it looks like I will be calling my sisters school up and asking for some help whenever she gets her new computer.

But at least the problem is isolated. Thanks for all the help guys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts