Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Veteran
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running 3.6GHz @ 1.4625v for over a year now, I left prime95 running for 48 hours with no problem.

Recently it's been coming up with an error on the 4th core after about 10 minutes of use, temps never going above 64~C

When I bump the voltage up the next increment to 1.475v, it runs for longer with no errors, but gets an error after about 25~ mins because temps hitting 76~C
I did some testing before and prime95 only produced errors when going above 70c, even if it is 100% stable at lower temps, 70c seems to be the unstable threshold.

However I have a question.
The 4th core is the only one producing an error, so if at 3.6GHz @ 1.4625v was previously stable, perhaps the error is because it's too hot?
If I run prime95 with 1 thread, manually set the affinity to the "problem core" and stress test it, the temps don't go above 51C because the other 3 cores are idle, and it produces no errors

Does this mean it is stable and just produces an error because it's too hot?

·
Registered
979 Posts
thats what it sounds like to me. 76C is way to hot for my comfort. Over time,processors break down. Nothing has an infinite life expectancy. Bumping up the voltage just covers up the ever growing instability in the 4th core of your processor.

My e6600 wont even boot unless the voltage is up to like 1.48 volts. and runs at 1.55 with water cooling

·
Veteran
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think it's stable under normal circumstances? Just when it gets too hot (say, 60+C) it gets unstable?

·
Registered
979 Posts
according to this statement "When I bump the voltage up the next increment to 1.475v, it runs for longer with no errors, but gets an error after about 25~ mins because temps hitting 76~C"

yes i would say so. it seems stable until high temps.

·
Registered
979 Posts
well he said his instability comes at around 75 or at lower voltage. personally I dont like it when my CPU goes over 60-65.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korruptive View Post

Do you think it's stable under normal circumstances? Just when it gets too hot (say, 60+C) it gets unstable?
Try and Lower the room temperature (perhaps by opening a window, etc) and then see how it goes in prime95.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts