Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching quite a few graphics cards, just getting ready to purchase my first one in a few weeks (gotta save before I buy). I've been finding some interesting data on price/performance for the radeon cards. Saying that the 7850 is the best price/performance card, but it just doesn't seem to match up to the standards I have for a graphics card. I've been leaning towards a 7870 ghz edition card, being that a single 7870 can run most new games on ultra out of the box. But i'm just not certain what to buy anymore. Should I buy two 7850's? Or one 7870? Should I say screw both and save up for a 7970? I just dont know :\

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
7,280 Posts
Budget?

Get a 7870 XT, It is basicly a 'Cut down' version of the 7950. With a very minor OC it will match it, and go beyond. They go for about $60 less that a 7950

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedroc1999 View Post

Budget?

Get a 7870 XT, It is basicly a 'Cut down' version of the 7950. With a very minor OC it will match it, and go beyond. They go for about $60 less that a 7950
I hate to say it, but budget isn't a "huge" issue. Nothing that saving up a few more weeks wont solve. But I am REALLY hesitant to drop more than 250$ on a card. But, if what you're saying is true, that a 7870 can match, or even exceed a 7950 with overclocking, then I guess a 7870 is a really good bet.

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
7,280 Posts
But only if it the 'XT' version, this uses the same GPU as the 7950 just minimally cut down. With a small OC (~10%) It will match it, and these normally go on for about £0% so expect to maybe a bit better FPS if you OC further

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

But only if it the 'XT' version, this uses the same GPU as the 7950 just minimally cut down. With a small OC (~10%) It will match it, and these normally go on for about £0% so expect to maybe a bit better FPS if you OC further
The only one I can find has a blue PCB D:!!! NOOOOO!!!!

Has to be black and red, or just black.

There is also the option of the tahiti LE gpu, but there is no such thing as a waterblock for any of the tahiti LE chips yet, so I don't want to buy one until they produce a block for it.

EDIT : Derp, the XT is the Tahiti LE chip

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
7,280 Posts
Look further, check the Powercolor hd7870 myst, it is agreat looking card and most universal blocks should fit it

Sent From My Rooted Galaxy Ace II Using Tapatalk

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Look further, check the Powercolor hd7870 myst, it is agreat looking card and most universal blocks should fit it

Sent From My Rooted Galaxy Ace II Using Tapatalk
That card was... "was"... my original choice for my rig. But I don't want to use a universal block, because theys ugleh D:

I want my rig to be powerful AND asthetically pleasing, so universal blocks just wont do.

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
7,280 Posts
Just read somewhere, that when OCed, if you OC enough it will come very close to a 7970, THATS ONE SERIES UP!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts