Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran P95 and received a Fatal Error at round 9Hours 10. Worker 2 Stopped all others continued to run fine.

Here is my set up at default
AMD965 BE C3 3.4 @1.4 volts ( I CALLED MSI ABOUT THIS AND THEY SAID THIS IS FINE . BUT MY PREVIOUS BOARD MSI K9A2 CF REV2 SHOWED CPU [email protected])

G.Skill Ram 1600 Rip-jaws DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231277 "I am running them at 1600Mhz

MSI NF980a-G65 Bios 1.1 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-236-_-Product

Overclocked specs
965 3.4 O.C'd [email protected] Vcore " I did pass P95 of 3Hrs on blend with rest of system at default so I feel that Vcore voltage is good to go"

FSB 200

CPU-NB 13xMulity @1.3875 volts

HT Link set to Auto. but it shows as 2600 as well

1000 PSU

I am trying to figure out if I need to increase the voltage on the CPU-NB more , up voltage on HT Link , Or drop Ram down to 1333 and tighten the timings on the Ram.

Prime 95

Everest

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
What were you running when it failed? Blend or Small FFT's?

If you were running blend then run small fft's and see if it's 24hr stable. If small fft's are 24 stable then my bet's on the ram.

Instead of underclocking and tightening timings, I would try increasing the voltage a little bit and see if that works first. A little bit of extra voltage won't hurt them, just don't blast them with POWA!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrimpykins View Post

If you were running blend then run small fft's and see if it's 24hr stable. If small fft's are 24 stable then my bet's on the ram.

Instead of underclocking and tightening timings, I would try increasing the voltage a little bit and see if that works first. A little bit of extra voltage won't hurt them, just don't blast them with POWA!
His timings are lose as hell. So, I am pretty sure it is not a memory issue.

50+ runs at linX = gazillion hours of Prime95
Not to mention it is a lot quicker

I only use Prime95 for Mobo stability.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrimpykins
View Post

I was running a Blend test.

Increase voltage to what on the ram stock volts I believe is 1.50V. How much should I increase by ??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by sti-06
View Post

do 50 runs with Lin-X max memory see what happens

Where can I get a copy of this Lin-X can you provide me with a link to download

Thanks

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisticOne
View Post

I was running a Blend test.

Increase voltage to what on the ram stock volts I believe is 1.50V. How much should I increase by ??

Start off by trying 1.6 and see if it survives prime for longer.

This is for sure a memory issue. The IMC can't keep up with that high memory clock.

·
FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,351 Posts
There you go. Do not abuse LinX. 50 max memory runs with LinX will reduce life on the CPU. Also expect up to 4 degrees hotter than Prime95. If you were in critical temps with Prime95, don't run LinX.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wishmaker
View Post

There you go. Do not abuse LinX. 50 max memory runs with LinX will reduce life on the CPU. Also expect up to 4 degrees hotter than Prime95. If you were in critical temps with Prime95, don't run LinX.

Can you back this up?

So 24 hrs (and some people run up to 72 hrs) of Prime95 doesnt reduce the life on the CPU?

Op: Even though I still dont think it is a memory issue.Then try lowering ur memory clocks to around 1300mhz.

Also If you pass 20 passes on Lin-X that means ur NB clock is too high or it doesnt have enough V

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

View Post

My temps with P95 hit a high of 54c. So I believe I should be OK

·
FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,351 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisticOne
View Post

My temps with P95 hit a high of 54c. So I believe I should be OK

Don't know AMD cpus so I thought you should have a fair warning. What I know about them is that they are more sensitive than the I7.

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Let's put it this way. I test my CPU's for 24 hrs. Because I can always tweak them later and they are stable enough as is. If I build someone an OC'd PC, I make sure at the very minimum it's 48 HRs stable and I usually go 96 hrs just to make sure. It doesn't degrade the CPU as long as you are within Intels "safe" voltage. That is the voltage that according to the CPU's manufacturer cannot harm the CPU unless there is inadequate cooling.

My typical OC for myself is something like this.

I overclock, then run 12 hours of small FFT's, then run 12 hours of blend. If they pass, I run 24 hrs small fft's, then 24 hours blend. If both those pass, I run memtest for 8 hours, then I run core damage for 2 hours. Core damage is the best possible heat generator I have found. I have not been able to use any other program that will heat up a CPU more than core damage. It's always 1 or 2 degrees hotter. If the temp is good then I consider it a succesful overclock.

Now, this is for intel but should be basically the same thing for AMD, just with different voltages.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kromar
View Post

HT link higher than 2000 reduces performance in most cases. you might also try to increase ACC on the failing core to +2/4% and see if that helps.

OK you just lost me there... Increase the ACC how would I do that?? Are you talking about OC'ing the cores individually via BIOS.

Can you provide me with some links to how to do this.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Don't know AMD cpus so I thought you should have a fair warning. What I know about them is that they are more sensitive than the I7.

So you are claiming linx/intelburn is going to lower the life of Intel and AMD cpu's? or just AMD?

Where did you get this information?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by sti-06 View Post
Can you back this up?

So 24 hrs (and some people run up to 72 hrs) of Prime95 doesnt reduce the life on the CPU?

Op: Even though I still dont think it is a memory issue.Then try lowering ur memory clocks to around 1300mhz.

Also If you pass 20 passes on Lin-X that means ur NB clock is too high or it doesnt have enough V
So by this statement here you are saying even if I pass the NB clock is too high. I am confused here.
By me passing that would mean that the RAM is stable at 1600Mhz.

OK I ran Lin-X with the ram at 1600 here did 20 passes results below

also I didn't understand what you your statement "Also If you pass 20 passes on Lin-X that means ur NB clock is too high or it doesnt have enough V"

·
FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,351 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Auld View Post
So you are claiming linx/intelburn is going to lower the life of Intel and AMD cpu's? or just AMD?

Where did you get this information?

Intel is not immune to this. I was referring to AMD because the OP has AMD. OP, increase the mem usage for longer stress.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisticOne View Post
So by this statement here you are saying even if I pass the NB clock is too high. I am confused here.
By me passing that would mean that the RAM is stable at 1600Mhz.

OK I ran Lin-X with the ram at 1600 here did 20 passes results below

also I didn't understand what you your statement "Also If you pass 20 passes on Lin-X that means ur NB clock is too high or it doesnt have enough V"

Sorry for the confusion.
What I was trying to say is Lin-X stresses ur memory and CPU. So if you pass linX and fail blend at Prime95 that means ur NB clock is too high and ur mobo is causing the instability. So drop ur NB to around 2400mhz and try Prime95 again.

PS I would suggest running LinX with highest memory available.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
i took pictures of the ACC settings in my biso, not sure how this looks or even exists on MSI boards but im sure someone with a MSI can help you with that.

a while back i was testing how high i could overclock seperate parts of my pc and when i was testing NB and RAM i often got these rounding errors in prime95 blend so i started to play around with different settings on the failing cores and took the time till they would fail again and it looks like increasing the values a bit can help with slightly unstable NB/RAM settings.
so if you get such a rounding error after about 9hours and also in a big FFT which mostly has something to do with NB/RAM i would give ACC a try.

btw: you can also reduce the time in prime95 or set the critical FTT (1024-4096) area manually so you dont have to test 9hours every time, but im sure youre aware of that:O

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by sti-06 View Post
Sorry for the confusion.
What I was trying to say is Lin-X stresses ur memory and CPU. So if you pass linX and fail blend at Prime95 that means ur NB clock is too high and ur mobo is causing the instability. So drop ur NB to around 2400mhz and try Prime95 again.

PS I would suggest running LinX with highest memory available.
I will try dropping NB down to 2400mhz and see if that solves the problem, also when ever I change the NB for some reason the HT-Link changes as well is that do to me setting the value of 13x for the CPU-NB ???

1 - 20 of 39 Posts