Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently built a new Ryzen 7 1800 system with dual boot - Win7&Win10.
Everything seems OK but when I use Prime 95 'Blend' to test it for stability the system crashes almost instantly in Windows 7, I am able to pass Prime95 'Blend' testing in Windows 10, with the same latest version of Prime 95 its 100% stable.

My main board is Asrock 370 taichi with BIOS 3.4, also tried 3.6 and beta 3.7 same results
Memory is at 2933Mhz and lowering it to 2133Mhz doesn't help, so I assume that's not the problem.
I will appreciate any help or sharing your experience with similar configuration.

·
R2D2C4Z9
139 Posts
I belive that windows 7 with latest patch seems to be unstable by it self, so i don't know the point of testing it.
Try more "realistic" load test software, like blender test project or so.

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
Recently built a new Ryzen 7 1800 system with dual boot - Win7&Win10.
Everything seems OK but when I use Prime 95 'Blend' to test it for stability the system crashes almost instantly in Windows 7, I am able to pass Prime95 'Blend' testing in Windows 10, with the same latest version of Prime 95 its 100% stable.

My main board is Asrock 370 taichi with BIOS 3.4, also tried 3.6 and beta 3.7 same results
Memory is at 2933Mhz and lowering it to 2133Mhz doesn't help, so I assume that's not the problem.
I will appreciate any help or sharing your experience with similar configuration.
Ryzen isn't supported on windows 7 sadly.

·
Super Moderator
14,112 Posts
Ryzen isn't officially supported by Windows 7. This is most likely the problem.

It will work with Windows 7, however there will be issues.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read somewhere the highest overclock ever achieved with Ryzen 7 was performed on Windows 7 and besides that, im not ready to say goodbye to windows 7 just yet, i'll post solution when I figure it out thanks

·
Shining Brightstar.
21 Posts
That overclock was probably achieved with LN2 and with a bloat-free OS, and yes it may have been Win7,
But it may be recent updates regarding Spectre/Meltdown that have an issue, changing the stability of the OS. I heard Microsoft had a 'patch for a patch' on GamersNexus YouTube for Spectre under 7 for OEMs. Could be that.

Original Win7 SP1 in 'safe' mode with disabled theme, is something a lot of overclockers use, and yes it may be stable, do not worry about it if it's stable in 10.

Another but unlikely culprit is, 10 may be using the more radical , Spectre-related Windows Defender Exploit Protection settings that stop the memory from being fully stressed - i don't know how this works, but i disabled all EXCEPT DEP which is essential for VAC and different Valve PC games. Disable CFG, ASLR, etc. reboot. Then try and see if it's still stable. For all you know, not to patronize, but any OC can be unstable.

Windows 7 itself is definitely not the problem just because it is not compatible with Ryzen, it can still run it and play D3D games, but on newer BIOS, it may conflict due to radical security and memory performance tweaks.

It may be fully stable with a very old BIOS, and a non-2000 series (Ryzen 1st gen) with a AGESA 10.0.4 or vanilla BIOS, because it did not utilize certain quirks of Ryzen yet, so the OS just had the 'naked' Summit Ridge CPU to see.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
MT441HD, this happens with or without overclocking, just crashes faster with the overclock. I tested win 10 with prime95 with windows defender completely disabled, it still passes, I also tested on a fresh windows 7 install with no service packs or updates, just installed the amd 370 chip set, then ran prime95 and it crashed pretty much right away again, also forgot to mention the BSOD is "IRQL_NOT_LESS_EQUAL pci.sys" thought it might be related to the motherboards pci gen 3 set so I set to the only other option which was gen 1, but same results with prime95, I also ran memtest86 on the ram, 3 passes and no errors, still running as I type, my guess is it must be with the bois, i'll try some earlier AGESA versions as you mentioned and report back later, thanks for your help

·
Registered
5,374 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
white_owl the bsod is "IRQL_NOT_LESS_EQUAL pci.sys" and yes I tested with all the lastest window updates and chipsets, I used this patch already, I believe its an issue with my motherboard and its bios, its literally the only thing left that it could be

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I'd start contacting AMD, Asrock or MS at this point. You've done about every thing.
Reseating components has been known to fix really weird issues. Bad sata cables are a possible gremlin but you have one stable OS and one that isn't so IDK. Sorry man. =(

EDIT: Try reseating the ram then CPU before giving them a stern talking-to lol
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...ebugger/bug-check-0xa--irql-not-less-or-equal
Could be a bad stick or even a bad slot so you might try the swap and boot shuffle with one stick and one slot at a time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
actually i`ve decided instead of going to older bios and testing, i`m just gonna admit defeat and stay with windows 10, i have nothing to fear if I have nothing to hide right lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
tried re seating everything as well owl, also one stick at time, and memtest is fine, I don't believe its any of that as the system runs fine under windows 10, pretty sure its a bios thing

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Sorry to hear that but hopefully Asrock can help without an RMA.

I currently use Windows 10 and while I have nothing to hide I feel...violated when I know my OS is sending my data to Microsoft so I can be targeted. With all the massive data hacks that keep happening I'd really prefer if MS had as little data about me as possible. There are things you can do without 3rd party software to disable this so MS only gets the bare minimum.

Disable telemetry:
https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable-telemetry-and-data-collection-in-windows-10/
https://winaero.com/blog/stop-windows-10-spying-on-you-using-just-windows-firewall/

Disable Windows Defender:
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5918-windows-defender-turn-off-windows-10-a.html#option2
(Windows key+R then type regedit and hit enter, then follow the directions)

Kill Cortana:
https://www.howtogeek.com/265027/how-to-disable-cortana-in-windows-10/

And to remove the built-in bloat:
(Just open PowerShell and copy/paste the code, start from the bottom as there are some that knock out several at a time)
Code:
    To uninstall 3D Builder:
    get-appxpackage *3dbuilder* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall Alarms & Clock:
    get-appxpackage *alarms* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall App Connector:
    get-appxpackage *appconnector* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall App Installer:
    get-appxpackage *appinstaller* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall Calendar and Mail apps together:
    get-appxpackage *communicationsapps* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall Calculator:
    get-appxpackage *calculator* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall Camera:
    get-appxpackage *camera* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall Feedback Hub:
    get-appxpackage *feedback* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall Get Office:
    get-appxpackage *officehub* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall Get Started or Tips:
    get-appxpackage *getstarted* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall Get Skype:
    get-appxpackage *skypeapp* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall Groove Music:
    get-appxpackage *zunemusic* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall Groove Music and Movies & TV apps together:
    get-appxpackage *zune* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall Maps:
    get-appxpackage *maps* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall Messaging and Skype Video apps together:
    get-appxpackage *messaging* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall Microsoft Solitaire Collection:
    get-appxpackage *solitaire* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall Microsoft Wallet:
    get-appxpackage *wallet* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall Microsoft Wi-Fi:
    get-appxpackage *connectivitystore* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall Money:
    get-appxpackage *bingfinance* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall Money, News, Sports and Weather apps together:
    get-appxpackage *bing* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall Movies & TV:
    get-appxpackage *zunevideo* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall News:
    get-appxpackage *bingnews* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall OneNote:
    get-appxpackage *onenote* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall Paid Wi-Fi & Cellular:
    get-appxpackage *oneconnect* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall Paint 3D:
    get-appxpackage *mspaint* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall People:
    get-appxpackage *people* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall Phone:
    get-appxpackage *commsphone* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall Phone Companion:
    get-appxpackage *windowsphone* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall Phone and Phone Companion apps together:
    get-appxpackage *phone* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall Photos:
    get-appxpackage *photos* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall Sports:
    get-appxpackage *bingsports* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall Sticky Notes:
    get-appxpackage *sticky* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall Sway:
    get-appxpackage *sway* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall View 3D:
    get-appxpackage *3d* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall Voice Recorder:
    get-appxpackage *soundrecorder* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall Weather:
    get-appxpackage *bingweather* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall Windows Holographic:
    get-appxpackage *holographic* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall Windows Store: (Be very careful!) (Danny: look this up first...I didnt do this one.)
    get-appxpackage *windowsstore* | remove-appxpackage

To uninstall Xbox:
    get-appxpackage *xbox* | remove-appxpackage

You can actually keep going with this and end up with a modern Windows 7 if you skin it. I hope you get some form of help out of this thread lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts