Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm trying to push my computer to 2.7GHz (245.43287142x11 or 2699MHz) and everything works, e.g. CPU Burn-In, CPU Burn, SuperPI, 3DMark06 ect. ect. and my temps never go over 43-44 degrees Centigrade. Anyway, my problem is that whenever I try and run Prime95, it gives me an error in like...10 seconds and is making me very mad. I'm lowering OCs, loosening timings, and trying to get Prime95 to work, but it just won't. Is Prime95 the be-all and end-all or can I say my computer is stable and call it a day?

·
Registered
604 Posts
If everything is running smoothly then don't worry about it... You might want to run MemTest though (it's a boot program that can be run from a floppy or cd). It'll throw a flag your system is having a problem with your memory. It doesn't always mean the memory is bad if it gives you an error. Just play with the settings and see if it clears it up if you get any.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ty Auchter

If everything is running smoothly then don't worry about it...

Unless he wants it 100% stable. If you want credit for an oveorclock around here 12+hours of prime is pretty much mandatory. I have the same problem getting my 4000 to prime at 3 ghz.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Quote:

Well that should teach you a lesson about getting AMD chips

Execpt my amd is within .2ghz of your intel.

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I found out that my RAM is the issue, I can run the small FFTs just fine. I guess this can be my excuse to get some OCZ DDR 600... Scratch that, it worked a bit longer, but not much. 4min is the record! Does anyone know what "FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4" mean?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Quote:

Well that should teach you a lesson about getting AMD chips

Some of us have other things we like to spend our money on, like families and homes.

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by selectodude

Well, I found out that my RAM is the issue, I can run the small FFTs just fine. I guess this can be my excuse to get some OCZ DDR 600... Scratch that, it worked a bit longer, but not much. 4min is the record! Does anyone know what "FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4" mean?

Run memtest 86 first. As much as I will get flamed here PRIME 95 is not the be all and end all of deteting if your system is stable.

cheers

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
good to hear you got it running, it's always nice to solve a problem, especially if it's your own system.
And to the others, if it's not prime95 stable or any other "stability" test, then it truly isn't stable. Stable systems dont error out.
Sure you could run your computer with all the programs just fine, but over time you run the risk of a corrupted hard drive and would run into BSOD's and random crashes eventually if it's not 100% stable. Your choice.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Ram timings maybe?

Actually, Prime is pretty close to being the be all end all. If you notice most people have the same problem, everything else works but Prime. I don't use anything else anymore. I've had memtest tell me my ram was fine, when in the end, it was the timings and Prime was erroring out.

Notice I said "pretty close".

·
Registered
604 Posts
Not to ignore the topic, but I want to point out I was just kidding... I know they're expensive... The one I have now is the best I could afford at wholesale no less. At the end of the day a CPU is a CPU. The only thing I don't get about it is why AMD calls a chip 3200+ if it runs around 2500 MHz out of the box? That's the main reason I'll go broke for Intel -- I know what I'm getting.

Sorry about the thread-hijack but I wanted to clear that up.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by selectodude

I have my timings at 2.5-4-4-6, what do you think they should be?

Well, you should be able to run that xms at like 2.5-3-3-8.. But if you are still having problems

Run it at 3-4-4-8, then work your way down. Someone had a good post on the different down steps to lowering memory timings and trouble shooting. I dont recall where it is though.

3-3-3-8, then 2.5-3-3-8. Somthing like that.

Check CPUz and see what the stock timings are for that memory at their stock rated speeds. Ohh and kick your memory voltage up to 2.8 at least if you can.

EDIT2: Was just looking around, if those are the C2PRO DDR400 then it looks like 3-4-3-8 is the sweet spot for anything over 225 mhz. If you can pump more voltage through them you probably could get lower but dont void your warantee by going over 2.9 volts

EDIT: I guess my first question should have been, what kind of corsair XMS memory do you have, DDR500/400? and what the stock timings are but CPUz should tell you if you aren't sure.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
in the cpuz tab "spd" click that and it will tell you your default timings I believe. Under 200mhz column.

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tytlyf

in the cpuz tab "spd" click that and it will tell you your default timings I believe. Under 200mhz column.

I will, but my friend thought it would be funny to try 300x10, so i need to reset the CMOS.

That joke went too far and seems to have fried something. I will kill him. Soon. My motherboard won't POST and all i see is black. Motherboard? CPU? RMA?

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Pull the power cord, remove the battery, set the CMOS jumper, wait a 20 seconds, put jumper back, reinstall battery, pulg in and reboot.
If that done work try waiting longer.
NOTE.. never power up with the jumper in reset mode!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts