Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Overclocked
3,954 Posts
As long as you don't push your CPU very hard & don't get crazily high temps you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
10,871 Posts
Considering the board you're using is a unheatsinked 4+1 phase MSI board, then don't risk it. While there is no definite way of knowing when it would die, the probability is there that it could. It might die stress testing at 4ghz or it might die at 3.6ghz, I wouldn't risk it either way.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dopamin3
View Post

Considering the board you're using is a unheatsinked 4+1 phase MSI board, then don't risk it. While there is no definite way of knowing when it would die, the probability is there that it could. It might die stress testing at 4ghz or it might die at 3.6ghz, I wouldn't risk it either way.

I have it at 3.5 ghz running fine. And my usual max temp (when running say Brink) is about 49c.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Your board will blow up if you OC that CPU!! Be careful

·
Premium Member
10,871 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FasterX
View Post

I have it at 3.5 ghz running fine. And my usual max temp (when running say Brink) is about 49c.

Unfortunately temperatures of the CPU are irrelevant. If the motherboard can't supply the current the CPU needs or the mosfets (no heatsink mind you) get too hot, then boom goes the motherboard.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Put Heatsinks on your mosfets , and a small fan blowing air towards them . I see u have a 140W Cpu . thats pretty much+ OC it increases its power draw . Dont OC on lower end boards ( maybe with cooled mosfets ) or the board(and even other components) might go bad(explode) .

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkslayer7
View Post

Put Heatsinks on your mosfets , and a small fan blowing air towards them . I see u have a 140W Cpu . thats pretty much+ OC it increases its power draw . Dont OC on lower end boards ( maybe with cooled mosfets ) or the board(and even other components) might go bad(explode) .

Actually no the 1.4 came from the fact that I was using AMD CNQ.

Also I DID overclock .1ghz. Perfectly fine. So HAH there.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

View Post

i did warn you . Here is a threat you SHOULD read : http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/94...fety-125w.html
-and another one: http://www.overclock.net/amd-motherb...tion-list.html .
Dont get me wrong , i just try to help

PS : Your mosfets are Nikos P060BD . Care !!!

Already read those.

People always talk about MSI boards blowing but people never talk about them working as much as they do. On the 5+ ghz AMD club the number 2 and 3 spot @ ~6.5GHz are both MSI boards.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Of course there are really good MSI boards . But some are "bad" ( i mean really bad ) . Cool the mosfets (+add a lil fan blowing air towards them) , and u will be safe with that chip/board .

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

View Post

Of course there are really good MSI boards . But some are "bad" ( i mean really bad ) . Cool the mosfets (+add a lil fan blowing air towards them) , and u will be safe with that chip/board .

Do MOSFET temps make a difference.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Already read those.

People always talk about MSI boards blowing but people never talk about them working as much as they do. On the 5+ ghz AMD club the number 2 and 3 spot @ ~6.5GHz are both MSI boards.

Not for everyday use.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Well I'm sure you know the risk but you might want to know that getting that H50 just adds to it. Chances are it won't be blowing onto the VRMs so it removes important cooling of that.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xd_1771
View Post

Well I'm sure you know the risk but you might want to know that getting that H50 just adds to it. Chances are it won't be blowing onto the VRMs so it removes important cooling of that.

Will MOSFET heatsinks help?

·
Registered
306 Posts
The best way to put it, your board is designed for the normal everyday user and not the hardcore over clocker or gamer. It was designed to be cheap and reliable for the normal everyday user. Not to say its a bad board. Its just don't designed to over clock, so now that you have had many people tell you this I would think hard about over clocking your chip. Because when you do that you risk losing your board, chip, ram, and gpu. Its not a risk I would be willing to take, and just because you have an h50 does not mean you can overclock more. Their are a bunch of factors that you need to take into consideration before you overclock.

You have to realize that the people that have clocked 6.5ghz are guys that have good high quality components and know what they are doing. They did not just put some stuff in a box and hit the overclock buttton on there board, lol...

If you want to overclock then you need to take into consideration the recommendations that were made in this thread.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by leichtwork
View Post

The best way to put it, your board is designed for the normal everyday user and not the hardcore over clocker or gamer. It was designed to be cheap and reliable for the normal everyday user. Not to say its a bad board. Its just don't designed to over clock, so now that you have had many people tell you this I would think hard about over clocking your chip. Because when you do that you risk losing your board, chip, ram, and gpu. Its not a risk I would be willing to take, and just because you have an h50 does not mean you can overclock more. Their are a bunch of factors that you need to take into consideration before you overclock.

You have to realize that the people that have clocked 6.5ghz are guys that have good high quality components and know what they are doing. They did not just put some stuff in a box and hit the overclock buttton on there board, lol...

If you want to overclock then you need to take into consideration the recommendations that were made in this thread.

Thank you but my question is: will it be safe with some MOSFET heatsinks?

·
Registered
306 Posts
It would help, but I still would not really try to push the chip. They are still cheap and have a higher risk of blowing up on you. I would also add a fan like mentioned.

I had a 4+1 asus board and I had to learn the hard way. I did not blow it up but once I started doing research on overclocking and what makes a good overclocking board I learned that my board was crap for overclocking. So I did not risk damaging anything and its is now going to be used for a htpc since I decided to upgrade something else after 6 months.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Thank you but my question is: will it be safe with some MOSFET heatsinks?

Safer, but I blew up my 790FX with a 1090t with a damn waterblock on the mosfets. It took a mountain of abuse over a good amount of time.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I cut a strip of aluminum off a CPU heat sink to lay across my mosfets (compared to the size of the mosfets, its pretty big). After upping the voltages and overclocking the CPU...the mosfet heat sink that I added gets very hot to the touch when running Prime95. I cant believe those dinky things could put off so much heat!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts