Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In-place large fft or blend? Or do i use custom? If so, on what settiings?
 

·
CONES!
Joined
·
1,708 Posts
Just let it run on blend for a while. It'll usually let you know real fast if your overclock is unstable or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,030 Posts
I personally use a custom blend that is set to use almost 100% of my available RAM. That way you are also testing the IMC/MC (depending on the platform
smile.gif
) along with the rest of the CPU.
thumb.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denim-187 View Post

Make sure the version is 26.6 or later.
  1. Custom Blend
  2. Ctrl + Alt + Delete to check the available ram in start task manager under Performance
  3. Then input 90% of the available ram (e.g if you have 3500mb of ram available, 90 % of that which is 3150)
305
Thanks :)

Ps! Tour de ski, 5km on tv now! Stream on nrk.no :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1. When stresstesting. Should i lock programs as sype etc? Can i sertch the web while stresttesting? Or should i just leave the comp. alone when im stresstesting?

2. question. Why is it that my comp crashes in just about 5 min while stresstesting, but i could play bf3 for hours? Then sertched the web, and played alittle skyrim and witcher 2. It didnt slow down or restart.

Is stresstesting way more stressing than playing? Is it dangerous to play on an unstable comp? can i destroy it, or it is just the restart i have to conernt my self whit? And the pot. loss of data?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im not 100% sure, but it is my 4th core that is causing the unstability. The one i have enabled. Because if i raise the volt whit 0.1-0.2 it will not help. This is when i have clocked it close to 3.8GHz. But still it will work while gaming..

Can i use it like that, or will it harm the hardware to run on unstable settup?

Its a phenom II x4 b50 ( no l3 cache) so i realy notice improvment in bf on 3.75GHz rather than 3.6GHz.. Strange that just below 200mhz can make sutch a diffrence. We are talking over 10fps on lowest fps, makes the fps drops almost dissapear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denim-187 View Post

You can run it like that, it won't cause damage. If it's doing what you want it to do, then really, it's "stable"
Oh. Thats nice to know! But i think it alittle strange that it give me bluescreen so fast in prime. It runs for about 10-12min eatch time, it was alittle more than 5 actually.

Then i'l just use it like this, if it is not damaging my hardware. If i loose some files or have to install windows again, thats ok.

But it handle everything i throw at it like this, so i'l just call it stable for now then:)

Thanks
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruarcs30 View Post

Im not 100% sure, but it is my 4th core that is causing the unstability. The one i have enabled. Because if i raise the volt whit 0.1-0.2 it will not help. This is when i have clocked it close to 3.8GHz. But still it will work while gaming..
Can i use it like that, or will it harm the hardware to run on unstable settup?
Its a phenom II x4 b50 ( no l3 cache) so i realy notice improvment in bf on 3.75GHz rather than 3.6GHz.. Strange that just below 200mhz can make sutch a diffrence. We are talking over 10fps on lowest fps, makes the fps drops almost dissapear.
Quick question: Which mobo are you using?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denim-187 View Post

You can run it like that, it won't cause damage. If it's doing what you want it to do, then really, it's "stable"
I disagree. Personally I feel that unless an OC is stable its not worth doing. Anyone can up the numbers the hardwork and skill lies in the fine tuning to get that test pass. My advice would be to keep at it. Compare your clock speeds and voltages with other members who have already been sucessful. If your struggling to find anyone who has hit the clocks you are going for then its highly likely you are pushing the chip too far. Flick back to your default BIOS settings when you want to game and re-boot back into your OC every now and then and keep working on getting it stable. Thats where the real satisfaction lies.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,502 Posts
A lot of good suggestions here. I generally use Blend and also run MSI Kombustor at the same time just to ensure the system is being properly stressed. Using 90% of RAM is a good idea too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubers View Post

A lot of good suggestions here. I generally use Blend and also run MSI Kombustor at the same time just to ensure the system is being properly stressed. Using 90% of RAM is a good idea too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkX 1 View Post

Quick question: Which mobo are you using?
870a-ud3 rev 2.1 f5 bios
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillskill View Post

I disagree. Personally I feel that unless an OC is stable its not worth doing. Anyone can up the numbers the hardwork and skill lies in the fine tuning to get that test pass. My advice would be to keep at it. Compare your clock speeds and voltages with other members who have already been sucessful. If your struggling to find anyone who has hit the clocks you are going for then its highly likely you are pushing the chip too far. Flick back to your default BIOS settings when you want to game and re-boot back into your OC every now and then and keep working on getting it stable. Thats where the real satisfaction lies.
You are not answering the question.

Does it damage my hardware. Plain and simple question :p
And if it plays games for hours, why not use it when it gains me 10 fps on bf3?

And yes, i have trouble finding anyone whit a stable at that speed,hehe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruarcs30 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillskill View Post

I disagree. Personally I feel that unless an OC is stable its not worth doing. Anyone can up the numbers the hardwork and skill lies in the fine tuning to get that test pass. My advice would be to keep at it. Compare your clock speeds and voltages with other members who have already been sucessful. If your struggling to find anyone who has hit the clocks you are going for then its highly likely you are pushing the chip too far. Flick back to your default BIOS settings when you want to game and re-boot back into your OC every now and then and keep working on getting it stable. Thats where the real satisfaction lies.
You are not answering the question.

Does it damage my hardware. Plain and simple question :p
And if it plays games for hours, why not use it when it gains me 10 fps on bf3?

And yes, i have trouble finding anyone whit a stable at that speed,hehe.
If its not stable then its clearly not safe. Might not be what you want to hear but thats the reality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruarcs30 View Post

Oh. Thats nice to know! But i think it alittle strange that it give me bluescreen so fast in prime. It runs for about 10-12min eatch time, it was alittle more than 5 actually.
Then i'l just use it like this, if it is not damaging my hardware. If i loose some files or have to install windows again, thats ok.
But it handle everything i throw at it like this, so i'l just call it stable for now then:)
Thanks
"if its not prime stable, it aint stable." it's not "strange" that you bsod after only 5 min into prime95, and yet can play bf3 for hours at a time. prime95 is a "stress test"

if youre getting a bluescreen after only 10 min, it is saying that you have a long way to go with fine tuning your oc to get it stable. running your rig on unstable settings will produce intermittent minute errors on a consistent basis, which will eventually cause your rig to bsod, freeze, or crash (depending on what function needs to be adjusted, ie cpu voltage, ram, etc.)

ive had problems in the past with eventual bsod, freezes, crashes on an oc that was 8 hours prime blend stable, thinking my rig was stable enough even though it did not complete running the whole iteration cycle of the blend test (approx 10-11 hours). No problems, however, on oc's which completed the blend iteration cycle.

if your oc completes the blend iteration cycle, you may call your oc stable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok. I'l try formulating my question 1 more time.

Is it harmfull for my hardware, can my gpu,cpu,ram etc get dammage?

As i written early in the thread, I DONT CARE if the computer reboots or freese after 3-4 hours of play. Then i just give it a bloody restart. If it messes up my root files or what ever it is called, i install windows over again. But i have used it for about 10 hours now, 3 or 4 hours playing and it hasnt froze,rebooted or anything. So if its not harmfull to the hardware, then i just keep it like this. If it start to freese,bluescreen or restart more and more often, then i'l back down.

Thanks for the advice by the way:)

Ps. Hwinfo64 reports that my cpu is using 100% and my gpu is using 98%. My computer hits almost the same temps while playing bf3 vs prime max heat. Higher than it gives me on blend. Thats why i think it is very strange that it give bluescreen that fast, while playing and playing bf3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillskill View Post

If its not stable then its clearly not safe. Might not be what you want to hear but thats the reality.
No, thats what I want to hear, if it is the truth! But does it damage my hardware permanently?

Edit:My voltage is under safe max and my temp are way under safe max if that matters in this situation.
But if someone can give me an answer that is based on facts, not just stated that it is clearly not safe. please tell why it isnt safe? Or else I get the impression that this is just what you think about the subject
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruarcs30 View Post

No, thats what i want to hear, if it is the truth! But does it damage my hardware permanently?
Yes it can, basically.

If your CPU has too much voltage running through it (vCore) then the CPU will get hot and can BSOD. If there isn't enough voltage going through it with will definitely BSOD. Not enough voltage isn't going to hurt it, but it can cause errors on your hard drives due to not being shut down correctly. I know some people who run stress tests using Linux LiveCD's in order so that in the event of a crash, nothing of value is lost.

Too much voltage is what will kill your rig. You also want to watch the RAM voltages. I think for SandyBridge the safe limits are around 1.4-1.45v and the absolute limit for the RAM is 1.5v (with a 10% variation on that, sometimes 1.55v is sometimes ok, depends on the CPU and RAM.

TL;DR

Yes, running an unstable system can be harmful to your CPU, RAM and HDD's in the long run. GPU's are generally only affected when you overclock them too much.
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top