Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if it was posted here.
Quote:
Gary Craig, a member of Aggie The Pew, was successful in compiling an AVX version of LLR using gwnum v27.2 (ftp://mersenne.org/gimps/source272.zip) and LLR v3.8.6dev. We've been testing it for the past week with success. Depending on the LLR project, speed improvements range from 20% to 50%.

Currently, this can only be run using an app_info file and available for Linux 64, MacIntel, and Windows A CPU only app_info file is included in the download that will allow you to participate in the following LLR projects:

321 Prime Search
Cullen Prime Search
Prime Sierpinski Problem
Proth Prime Search
Seventeen or Bust
Sophie Germain Prime Search
The Riesel Problem
Woodall Prime Search

Before using app_info, please be sure to have all previous work completed and returned. Otherwise, all work will be lost. If someone would like to provide step by step instructions, I'll be happy to include them in this post. Additionally, if anyone wishes to create a full project app_info file (including GPU), that can be included in the package as well. Ronald has app_info files on his site which can be modified to use with llrAVX.

Download llrAVX with app_info here: llr3.8.6dev_avx.7z

NOTE: Rename the files for your OS and move them into the appropriate BOINC folder and then restart BOINC:

app_info_linux64.xml --> app_info.xml
app_info_macintel.xml --> app_info.xml
app_info_windows.xml --> app_info.xml

and

llr3.8.6dev_linux64_avx --> llravx
llr3.8.6dev_macintel_avx --> llravx
llr3.8.6dev_windows_avx.exe --> llravx.exe

This has been tested on Intel Sandy Bridge but should also work on AMD Bulldozer. Currently, these are the only two CPU's that support AVX. Attention: AVX is supported only after Win7 SP1. WinXP does not have AVX support.

NOTE: This can be used in PRPNet as well. 5.0.3 has just been released with the llrAVX builds included.
http://www.primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=3912&nowrap=true#47039

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
good deal for those with AVX-supported chips. not so big deal for the rest of us, maybe one day I'll upgrade to Sandy or BD when my chip dies. still, good info!
thumb.gif

·
Registered
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybutcher View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by granno21 View Post

I wonder how much faster avx is for processing
It says 20-50% depending on the project.
Ya I should read a little more thoroughly
biggrin.gif

Any idea how many points per day this would yield? I normally don't run CPU tasks for projects that have gpu options

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by granno21 View Post

Ya I should read a little more thoroughly
biggrin.gif

Any idea how many points per day this would yield? I normally don't run CPU tasks for projects that have gpu options
Not much I wouldn't imagine. most of the CPU projects for PG take a really long time anway and don't yield very many ppd. I used to enjoy running them (till my chip started dying), there should be some numbers in the spreadsheet for how many points the PG CPU tasks yield.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef42 View Post

On a 2500k @4GHz:
without AVX: 19min. per WU in boinc
with AVX: 11min. per WU.
Only downside upside, more power consumption and therefore heat, allowing me to heat the house without increasing the electric bill too much.
there, fixed for you
cheers.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts