Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of OwnCloud?

I don't know how long it has been around but they seem to have instructions for installing it for pretty much every linux distro/windows version imaginable. And also for paid web hosting servers. There's a demo page so you can see the web UI. Looks like a lot of time management stuff in addition to file storage (calendars, contacts, task lists). Possibly the early stages of a private evernote server (I just started trying to learn evernote...bad timing!).

It's like some kind of private dropbox server with a fancy web interface. Also some "sync clients" for linux/windows/mac.

I did find this on their download page under source code:
Quote:
The ownCloud client software is based on Mirall and CSync, which are Free Software.
Anyone have an opinion one way or another?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I've looked at it before, but haven't used it until I saw your post. It took me about 20 minutes to spin up a Ubuntu Server VM (on Hyper-V) and install/configure OwnCloud. Granted I installed it on an 8GB VHD, which leaves ~5GB for storage, I still need to attach an iSCSI target for file storage. I don't see myself using it much, unless I need to move files back and forth between client location or something of the sort. I could see myself giving an account to family members and setting up the client to autobackup, but I really don't see much else use for me or my family over gDrive or Dropbox or Skydrive, except that I am hosting this one myself.

If it could access files already stored via UNC path or something it would be cool, but it doesn't work like that. I think the web interface is pretty nice, and simple to navigate and administer. I haven't used the client before, so I have experience on that. If you need a gDrive/Dropbox/Skydrive solution and you want to use your own storage, then it's great. It just sucks that it doesn't access existing files, so that means I either duplicate my files on my storage box (which is a waste since I have both VPN and FTPS set up on my home network) or only store my files within my OwnCloud.

Pretty cool product, if you have a need for it. I look for excuses to spin up new VMs since I have the resources available.
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm always trying to talk family members into backing up their computers. And they're always not backing up because it would cost more than free. And something roughly equivalent to evernote would be nice because it wouldn't be going through third party servers/worry about said third party complying with court orders that indirectly affects my data that happened to be on the same rack. Or however that worked.

Anyway it's my ever-growing list of things to try. Not sure when I'll get to it but it sounds roughly worthy of a try.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subassy View Post

I'm always trying to talk family members into backing up their computers. And they're always not backing up because it would cost more than free. And something roughly equivalent to evernote would be nice because it wouldn't be going through third party servers/worry about said third party complying with court orders that indirectly affects my data that happened to be on the same rack. Or however that worked.

Anyway it's my ever-growing list of things to try. Not sure when I'll get to it but it sounds roughly worthy of a try.
My solution to this is to to run my fileserver at my house and have them backup through CrashPlan's "backup to a friend's computer" function. I pay the $50 or so a year for unlimited backup for my fileserver and they get to "piggy back" over the internet for free on a separate zfs dataset.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Killer View Post

My solution to this is to to run my fileserver at my house and have them backup through CrashPlan's "backup to a friend's computer" function. I pay the $50 or so a year for unlimited backup for my fileserver and they get to "piggy back" over the internet for free on a separate zfs dataset.
Well I would do that except for a couple things:
  • I don't really want to leave my server on 24/7
  • i often take servers down for maintance or re-builds
  • I would both an encryption soloution and a convincing explanation that everybody's data is save from everybody else as well as me
  • Also, more hard drives and all that electricity would cost money, i don't know if i could afford to pay it all myself
Maybe if everybody kicked in for it or something. Cooling in the summer, etc. I almost got them to use free dropbox a couple times but even that is too much.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I may give it a try, my 48gb Samsung dropbox allowance will soon be over!

This could be useful for turning existing NAS systems into web accessible storage systems.

Although I may just use Mirall and CSync.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subassy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Killer View Post

Well I would do that except for a couple things:
  • I don't really want to leave my server on 24/7
  • i often take servers down for maintance or re-builds
  • I would both an encryption soloution and a convincing explanation that everybody's data is save from everybody else as well as me
  • Also, more hard drives and all that electricity would cost money, i don't know if i could afford to pay it all myself
Maybe if everybody kicked in for it or something. Cooling in the summer, etc. I almost got them to use free dropbox a couple times but even that is too much.
aside from your issue with running a server 24/7 and electricity costs (which is a generic issue with running a server), each user's files are isolated and encrypted from each other. i can't see what they put in since encryption happens at a per-user level. it just shows up as a folder with a bunch of letters and numbers with a huge single file in it.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Do you really want to be responsible to data loss if they think you are keeping up on backups? Also what if you get hacked?
Aside from that , there are many many free storage solutions that have a certain amount of limits. So depends on whats really needed you might get away with a free 10GB storage service. I wouldnt take the risk but if you are ok with it then I would get another solution that has an ez client and good logs and alerts. not some staple strong program like owncloud that isnt made specifically for what you want.
just sayin

gl

1 - 8 of 8 Posts