Discussion Starter #1

·
RTX ON FPS OFF
879 Posts
1080P 960hz lets go

·
Otherworlder
7,506 Posts
looks good, how about the maximum allowable cable length? i'd need at least 2meters for my floor-standing PC.

·
Robocop is #1 movie ever
2,188 Posts
This excites me. I don't need 240Hz 4K, but monitors that can do that should bring down the price of 144Hz 4K 4:4:4. What a time to be alive.

·
Premium Member
6,587 Posts
Im hoping for 3 meter cable length. 2m just isnt *quite* long enough for my desk.
That is some serious bandwidth though. Data rates of 20gbps per link is pretty crazy for such a "cheap" solution.

·
Otherworlder
7,506 Posts
yeah 3meters would be good, i would be able to route the cable around the table instead of straight up, leaving less of the cable dangling.

·
Dell Analyst
10 Posts
looks good, how about the maximum allowable cable length? i'd need at least 2meters for my floor-standing PC.

It's well known that 1.8 meters is the longest you can reliably transfer video data without signal degradation. To transfer further than that you need a repeater. There are cables with repeaters built in but they get VERY expensive.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts
this + confirmed HDMI2.1 consoles = more proof of my wait till 2021 drum that I've been banging for the last 2 years.

*twists stash, hits DMT, turns on joe rogan ohm'ing on repeat*

• Rep+
Reactions: Blze001

·
Robocop is #1 movie ever
2,188 Posts
*twists stash, hits DMT, turns on joe rogan ohm'ing on repeat*
Unlimited bandwidth, unlimited colors, weird refresh rate though.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts
incalculable 2349572934723894FPS in slow.

·
Robotic Chemist
2,928 Posts
Yup Samsung at the very least does this.
Only Samsung as far as I know. I think optical is the answer for many things requiring bandwidth but it does add to the price, 100 Gbps optical cables with transceivers are not cheap. More volume would help some but we already make a lot of fiber and it is still pretty expensive, though the cost is mostly for the bits on the ends.

Allowing 1 km monitor cables would be great though. ;)

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
4K120 Per-Eye here we come!

Hopefully panel manufacturers will announce they’re working on 5K200hz so that the monitors will be ready for market in five years when we’ll actually see DP2.0 put in a GPU.

·
What should be here ?
5,581 Posts
This should help with VR too.

·
Newsfiend
2,405 Posts
Well now I have an idea of how long to wait before upgrading the gpu/monitor.

·
I dunno what I'm doing.
1,484 Posts

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts
anytime!

I didn't even think about the VR implications. much excite. 4K120 per eye is what I've always said i'm holding out for. Now for someone to make more than one unit.

Just like consoles, I think the solution is multi-sku. There's no other way to get the device "in every home and office" like they always say they want. Office sku would have to be stupidly simple, & stand alone. Then you'd have your entry level unit for homes & basic gaming, then you'd have your halo unit with 4K120.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts