Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have an unlocked Barton 2500+ on ABIT NF7 v2.0 mobo. I've just found the maximum stable FSB of my Apacer PC3200 RAM @ 227 (using 9.5 multiplier), I was able to boot into System Commander @ 233x9.5, but got few errors during Memtest86 test #5. Relaxing the timings didn't do any good.

I was thinking I would easily go higher if I bought better RAM, cos my mobo can go higher.
While trying to be happy with that FSB 227, I tried increasing the multiplier by .5 only to see if it would boot & could enter BIOS (didn't intend to boot into the OS, just wanted to see if the FSBxMultiplier combination worked), there was no problem with 227x10 & 227x10.5, but higher multipliers didn't work at all (blank screen with no beeps, monitor went standby, no hard disk activities, nothing happened, nothing sounded, silent, but mobo, lights, and fans were on).

I tried multiplier 11, 11.5, and 12, still the same.
Tried lowering FSB to 220 and using 11x... still got the problem.
Tried FSB 215 and 11x... booted up at last!
Tried FSB 215 and 11.5x... blank again!
Tried FSB 210 and 11.5x... booted up!
I tried many combinations and it seemed that my system didn't boot if the resulting clock speed is above 2.4 GHz
I have tried the stock FSB 166, and it worked with every multiplier up to 13.5x
I was never be able to run @ 2500 MHz or higher with any combination

I have checked the temperatures after booting with working combination, I'm sure it was always below 50 C, (just booting up and entering BIOS to see the temperatures wouldn't produce much heat at all right?)

do I need watercooling just to boot into BIOS @ clock speed 2500 MHz? I was almost sure temperatures were not the cause.

RAM was not the problem, OK? because Memtest86 ran all night with no errors @ 227x9.5, Prime95's blend test also ran with no errors for a few hours @ 227x9.5. if RAM was the cause, the system would have sounded beeps indicating memory errors

is it Power Supply problem? it's cheap one indeed and it has problem with 3.3v rail, the rail very often dropped below 3v

or am I missing/forgetting something?
this rig is my first experience in overclocking, so sorry if forgetting something important...
I'm now running @ 221x10, very stable.
I'd buy a watercooling kit if only I could reach 2500 MHz, but because of the problem, I'm staying with this Volcano 12 Extreme

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fulvian

Hi guys, I have an unlocked Barton 2500+ on ABIT NF7 v2.0 mobo. I've just found the maximum stable FSB of my Apacer PC3200 RAM @ 227 (using 9.5 multiplier), I was able to boot into System Commander @ 233x9.5, but got few errors during Memtest86 test #5. Relaxing the timings didn't do any good.

I was thinking I would easily go higher if I bought better RAM, cos my mobo can go higher.
While trying to be happy with that FSB 227, I tried increasing the multiplier by .5 only to see if it would boot & could enter BIOS (didn't intend to boot into the OS, just wanted to see if the FSBxMultiplier combination worked), there was no problem with 227x10 & 227x10.5, but higher multipliers didn't work at all (blank screen with no beeps, monitor went standby, no hard disk activities, nothing happened, nothing sounded, silent, but mobo, lights, and fans were on).

I tried multiplier 11, 11.5, and 12, still the same.
Tried lowering FSB to 220 and using 11x... still got the problem.
Tried FSB 215 and 11x... booted up at last!
Tried FSB 215 and 11.5x... blank again!
Tried FSB 210 and 11.5x... booted up!
I tried many combinations and it seemed that my system didn't boot if the resulting clock speed is above 2.4 GHz
I have tried the stock FSB 166, and it worked with every multiplier up to 13.5x
I was never be able to run @ 2500 MHz or higher with any combination

I have checked the temperatures after booting with working combination, I'm sure it was always below 50 C, (just booting up and entering BIOS to see the temperatures wouldn't produce much heat at all right?)

do I need watercooling just to boot into BIOS @ clock speed 2500 MHz? I was almost sure temperatures were not the cause.

RAM was not the problem, OK? because Memtest86 ran all night with no errors @ 227x9.5, Prime95's blend test also ran with no errors for a few hours @ 227x9.5. if RAM was the cause, the system would have sounded beeps indicating memory errors

is it Power Supply problem? it's cheap one indeed and it has problem with 3.3v rail, the rail very often dropped below 3v

or am I missing/forgetting something?
this rig is my first experience in overclocking, so sorry if forgetting something important...
I'm now running @ 221x10, very stable.
I'd buy a watercooling kit if only I could reach 2500 MHz, but because of the problem, I'm staying with this Volcano 12 Extreme

For the most part, I didnt notice that you mentioned anything about voltages. Have you raised your chipset and cpu voltages accordingly?

You brought up a great point, if your voltages are waivering alot, then a new powersupply may be the best bet to counter any sort of instability.

RAM to 2.8volts, Vcore up quite a bit...and chipset voltage also needs to a boost.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, I have tried every vcore from 1.65v to 1.85v, and still blank. Even if I set the vcore too low, I'd still be able to boot into BIOS, right?
vDIMM is 2.9v <--- this is enough up to FSB 227 (stable)
vdd is 1.7v

or I need vdd above 1.7v (do a vdd mod) to reach 2500 MHz?

Also I'm confused, when do I need to raise vdd? right now @ 221x10 is stable, passes Memtest86 & Prime95's blend test for hours with default vdd (1.6v)
1.7v is the highest that the BIOS offers

I haven't done any physical mod to my mobo, do I have to? oh

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
50c at idle says you have to much heat!!! You want to be below 55c under load.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke

50c at idle says you have to much heat!!! You want to be below 55c under load.

Ah that's what the BIOS says, 48-50 C, but within Windows, ABIT EQ, Sandra 2004, MBM 5 all say 37-38 C at idle. Confusion.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fulvian

Ah that's what the BIOS says, 48-50 C, but within Windows, ABIT EQ, Sandra 2004, MBM 5 all say 37-38 C at idle. Confusion.

Yep, can be a pain with out a true probe.
BTW what PS do you have. The generic PS tend ot overstate their ability and can be a hinderance in OCing.
Also, not sure on your board but a lot is said about the 11 and 11.5 mults are less friendly on some boards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts