Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 120mm fan attached to my heat sink, which runs at a maximum of 2700 RPM all the time. I am on an Abit IP35 Pro motherboard. I've tried adjusting the BIOS settings and I've used the UGURU software a few weeks ago. The UGURU software worked. I basically went to the "Fan EQ" setting and chose "Quiet Mode" which had the following settings:

40 C Temp , Voltage Low 30%
75 C Temp, Voltage High 100%

For some reason it stopped working and my fan is noisy as hell running at 2700RPM. The CPU Temp reading is 27.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

Thanks..

·
Premium Member
5,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianiak;13138794
Hi,

I have a 120mm fan attached to my heat sink, which runs at a maximum of 2700 RPM all the time. I am on an Abit IP35 Pro motherboard. I've tried adjusting the BIOS settings and I've used the UGURU software a few weeks ago. The UGURU software worked. I basically went to the "Fan EQ" setting and chose "Quiet Mode" which had the following settings:

40 C Temp , Voltage Low 30%
75 C Temp, Voltage High 100%

For some reason it stopped working and my fan is noisy as hell running at 2700RPM. The CPU Temp reading is 27.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

Thanks..
not sure why. but you could always try using speedfan. or hooking it up to a real fan controller.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
You could try using Speedfan to control the fan manually, but it has never worked on any of my boards. Give it a shot and see if it works
smile.gif

·
Registered
575 Posts

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Is your fan a PWM fan or a 3-pin Voltage-controlled fan? The only mb's I have heard of that can control fans with Voltage are Gigabyte mb's. All the rest control fans with PWM only.

So if you don't have PWM control on your fan it will run 100% all the time. Time to get a pwm fan like this one, or a Blade Master, or or or . . .

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume;13143482
Is your fan a PWM fan or a 3-pin Voltage-controlled fan? The only mb's I have heard of that can control fans with Voltage are Gigabyte mb's. All the rest control fans with PWM only.

So if you don't have PWM control on your fan it will run 100% all the time. Time to get a pwm fan like this one, or a Blade Master, or or or . . .
For a cheap board Asus X58 Sabertooth has pretty good control options with Speedfan, cpu fan header is a 4-pin header which has it own control, then there is 3-pin NB fan header which can be controlled and then there are Chassis 1,2,3 fan headers that share a common controller. One of those chassis headers is a 4-pin header and other two are 3-pin headers. Power fan header seems to be the only header that can not be controlled.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm67;13146893
For a cheap board Asus X58 Sabertooth has pretty good control options with Speedfan, cpu fan header is a 4-pin header which has it own control, then there is 3-pin NB fan header which can be controlled and then there are Chassis 1,2,3 fan headers that share a common controller. One of those chassis headers is a 4-pin header and other two are 3-pin headers. Power fan header seems to be the only header that can not be controlled.
Have you in fact tried controlling a fan through the NB and Chassis 1 2 or 3 headers? Do the fans have varying speeds?

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ehume
View Post

Have you in fact tried controlling a fan through the NB and Chassis 1 2 or 3 headers? Do the fans have varying speeds?

Yes, I have tested them all and I my self was surprised to see that they work with Speedfan. I actually wonder how NB header is controlled without Speedfan as Asus FanExpert is only able to control cpu and chassis fan headers.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mm67
View Post

Yes, I have tested them all and I my self was surprised to see that they work with Speedfan. I actually wonder how NB header is controlled without Speedfan as Asus FanExpert is only able to control cpu and chassis fan headers.

Fascinating. Thank you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts