Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I got my new ultra-d today...come to find out, its 4pin 12v....with no room to use 6pin ( which is what my psu is ) what do i do????

When I just have the 24pin power connect in, and power up, my cpu fan, and stuff spins.....

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Your PSU should have two connectors..one 4 and one 6. 6 is for video cards. 4 is for the mainboard.

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
i found out the hard way that the 6 pin is PCI-E

got my new rig all built and saw i had a 8-pin 12v on my mobo so i tried the 6 pin in it but it wouldnt boot. took a day to realise that 6 pin goes in my VGA.

D'oh!

suprised it didnt damage my mobo some how

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tUDJ
View Post

i found out the hard way that the 6 pin is PCI-E

got my new rig all built and saw i had a 8-pin 12v on my mobo so i tried the 6 pin in it but it wouldnt boot. took a day to realise that 6 pin goes in my VGA.

D'oh!

suprised it didnt damage my mobo some how

DOH! Lucky for you, the 6 pin and the 4 pin are nearly identical in voltage.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My motherboard doesn't have a 4pin..it has a 6, and an 8....on my motherboard before, i used the 8pin..just had 4 of the pins not in, and it worked fine..so what do i do now? get a new psu?

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyS
View Post

My motherboard doesn't have a 4pin..it has a 6, and an 8....on my motherboard before, i used the 8pin..just had 4 of the pins not in, and it worked fine..so what do i do now? get a new psu?

If you have one solid 8 pin connector? You can use a hacksaw and cut the 8 pin molex into two 4 pin connectors. then plug in one block of 4. Just pay careful attention to the alignment of the locking tab. You wouldn't want to plug that in backwards.

OR, get a PSU with 4 pin connectors.

• Rep+
Reactions: JeremyS

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankenPC View Post
If you have one solid 8 pin connector? You can use a hacksaw and cut the 8 pin molex into two 4 pin connectors. then plug in one block of 4.

that worked. thank you a lot....i think I love you.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Check out cyberguys for a 8-pin to 4-pin converter. I looked briefly through their site and I did find a 4-pin molex to 4-pin motherboard connector that would solve you problem, and without a hacksaw. Cyberguys have a lot of odd converters that are hard to find.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts