Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems every time I push it to 4.5Ghz, I run into nothing but errors. Streaming programs crash back to back, full screen programs such as games will crash before I even hit the loading screen, nothing but problems. If I tone it back to 4.2Ghz everything runs without a hitch, zero problems anywhere it seems.

http://valid.canardpc.com/2716924

Ran a stress test earlier which I plan to repeat after I submit this post and give it a little more time than I did the first time, but when I stopped it, it had zero errors:

http://imgur.com/4cYoWdI

I'm not sure what the problem could be personally so I brought some information here hoping you guys could shed some light on it.

Also something that's been bothering me; as you can see by the screenshot, even at full load my core temperatures differentiate by 5-10C. With my old CPU all the temperatures only had maybe a 1-3C difference. This anything to be wary of?

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
be wary of a bad mount or consider changing TIM for a better contact.. <-would be the first place I look to resolve temps..

*that stability issue with 4.5ghz could be just from bad mount and heat transfer..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got an H100i cooling my CPU and that thought has crossed my mind a few times, so I've gone and remounted it several times, and I'm almost out of the thermal paste I bought but each time yeilds the same results, one or two cores being drastically different from the rest. But the temperatures never go over maybe 80-85 in Prime, and 50-60 in any other high CPU-usage scenario (such as streaming 1080p gameplay). So I don't see why it would force programs to crash like that.

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
Well 85c for a 1ghz OC is pretty high.. I know I can have stability related issues at temps much lower than that.. Personally.. if temps reach over 70c with IBT runs.. I call it good for daily use. Your CPU is trying to tell you that it needs lower temps i think.

*If you can artificially lower temps around 10c.. re-run your test and check for the issue again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I don't know what else to do to lower the temperatures. Even at idle with the exact same set up I had for my [email protected], my temps bounce around a ton in the 30C range, with one core generally being 25-30C for some reason, whereas the i5 sat steady between 20-25C. I've got the same fans on there, I could throw two more for push/pull but I just don't like the noise they make >_>

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
stick a house fan on the case with the side of it open.. leave your window open to draw in cold air.. anything to get temps lower.. you just need to retest with lower temps to confirm that temp is your issue or not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts