Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought an xspc res top and had it installed in my system for about a week. Everything was working fine until I got a new video card and swapped out my old video card, which had a waterblock and was on its own loop.

I couldn't fit the video card in my case because it was hitting the resorvoir for the cpu loop. So I took out the resorvoir and just used the mcp355 pump with res top for the cpu loop. When I turned on the computer I let it run for a bit to bleed the system of air bubbles. The next day I look at the temps of the cpu and noticed they were up in the 50's and was scared thinking maybe there was a leak. I checked all over the case and there wasn't a drop of coolant. So I empty the loop and refill it and the same thing again the temps jump straight into the 50's even at stock settings. So now I'm thinking maybe I should try and reseat the waterblock and reapply thermal paste. After reseating the waterblock I still get the same results. So now I'm stuck trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with the cpu or maybe its the loop.

I pasted two pics below of what my setup was before with two loops and now with just the one loop.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
you most likely have an air bubble trapped in your radiator. You'll either need to drain and reprime your loop, or lift the reservoir so that its higher than the rad and pump it out. Does that rad have a bleeder screw/valve?

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaded25 View Post
Ah air bubbles in the radiator. Yeah it does have a bleed screw on the bottom, do I just open the screw and pump coolant through the radiator?
no he maent if the pump and res is higher then rad the air bubbles will go out.

·
STG3 VET
13,127 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaded25 View Post
Ah air bubbles in the radiator. Yeah it does have a bleed screw on the bottom, do I just open the screw and pump coolant through the radiator?
you should not have to do that.

tilt the case side to side back and fwd. Make sure the the res is completely full. leave cap off to

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaded

lol to be perfectly honest, im not sure how the bleed screw is suppose to work but i always imagined that one would rotate the rad so that the screw is the highest point on the rad (ie, screw pointing at the ceiling) and loosen it. Once loose, the air will rush out, followed by coolent. Once you have only coolent coming out, you can replace the screw.

Your method would work too, in theory, but the thing to remember is the air bubble is stuck at the highest point in the rad.

But the easiest and cleanest method would be to take the loop out of the computer and run it with the res higher than anything else.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
ok im new to watercooling and have never done a loop and am not aquainted with the components involved.

Where is the pump in your second picture? Is it in the res?

also in the second pict, I notice that the tube going from the cpu block to the res is only 2/3 full...

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bob808

also in the second pict, I notice that the tube going from the cpu block to the res is only 2/3 full...

lol good eyes, i didn't notice that before. He probably had just gotten the cpu loop put back in place and took the pic before priming and running it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts