Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, fellow overclockers!
wheee.gif

For about an year, i've been stuck with following problem: i have two internet connections- one wired 10Mbit and other wireless 4g "150mbit" connection.

I live in apartment house made of cement, and i'm not facing towards teh 4g-antenna, and not having huge external antennas.

the 10Mbit is free for me, but i like to keep the 4g subscription running because it's mobile, normally stationed in it's hub when i'm home.

So, i've been looking a way to use both of these (tried first the network metric- thingy, but with no profit).

Wired has low latency/ping of 10-17 and wireless has higherdownload speed of about 20-60.

And i'd like to connect them. I ran to an video about it, showcasing tp-link router of multiple WAN's

Link aggregation and Load balancing are the key words in here, i guess.

So far, i've gathered these options with these downsides:

-TP-Link TL-R470T+ Router: ~50€, but has some bad comments about unstability and unreliability. Has 1x Wan, 1xLan and 3xLan/Wan, so it would let me add more isp's if needed

-Cisco RV042 : ~170€, Reliable known device, (IOS security issues?), 2xWan, 2xLan.

-PFsense: i have some existing hardware, but i may have to buy more. don't know much about this one, but it would be highly configurable, and it's unix- based and free.

I really need your help, haven't gotten far on this one by myself
sadsmiley.gif

Regards, Quirosaur

·
Premium Member
5,821 Posts
For WAN aggregation, pfSense is my software of choice. I don't think I'd trust any consumer-grade gear for this task.

What hardware would you be running it on?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I currently have couple ethernet cards lying around (guess they're 10/100) and hp motherboard with P4 processor, then core 2 duo e8400 and random ddr2 sticks. then there are older amd/intel processors and motherboards(with DDR), but i don't know if they have enough processing power..

But, as i have the e8400, motherboard for it doesn't cost much (20-30€ maybe?) and 4x1gig hyperX are sold used for 20€.

i've built several computers, so using used parts isn't new for me.

·
Premium Member
5,821 Posts
A Core2Duo will be fine up to 300-400mbit/s in most cases. And that's assuming you're running a ton of other packages on it

·
Super Moderator
3,634 Posts
I am running 4 rig with CPU E5600 (4GB each one) and pFsense without problems, not high traffic but that specs that you have are more that enough for now.

Now, for use both networks I think that you need use the load balancer on pFsense...I would have to check how to configure that with your networks since the last time that I did that was almost a year back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, so best option would certainly be pfsense. i assume i can add some kind of firewall thing in it too?

at the moment i do not yet have motherboard for e8400, but i assume any supporting my cpu will do?

about ram, will 4gb do? (there's a ton of used 1gb sticks at second hand market)

will integrated graphics be enough?

and for psu, i think something around 150W-250W will be enough?

Thanks, Quirosaur

·
Premium Member
5,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quirosaur View Post

Okay, so best option would certainly be pfsense. i assume i can add some kind of firewall thing in it too?
That's what pfSense is.
smile.gif
A router/firewall utility with the ability to add-on packages for other purposes.
Quote:
at the moment i do not yet have motherboard for e8400, but i assume any supporting my cpu will do?
Yep. I would suggest one with a PCIe x4, x8, or x16 slot for an add-in NIC. More on that later.
Quote:
about ram, will 4gb do? (there's a ton of used 1gb sticks at second hand market)
4GB will be amusingly overkill.
wink.gif
But this is OCN so why not?
Quote:
will integrated graphics be enough?
You won't be using the graphics at all past install time. So yep, integrated will be fine.
Quote:
and for psu, i think something around 150W-250W will be enough?

Thanks, Quirosaur
Yep.

pfSense is going to need at least two ethernet ports. One connects to the outside world and one to your internal network. For that reason, I suggest Intel Pro 1000 dual port network cards. Great NICs and fully supported by pfSense.

Here are some search results on eBay for what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome!
smile.gif

As i start looking out for parts for the final build, i propably at first try to set up a pfsense pc with the odd parts i have lying around, just to get the feeling about what i'm going to do.

If i remember right, i have some hp motherboard with Pentium 4 processor (lga775), at least one ethernet card and propably couple 1gb ram sticks and a psu of 200W.

Thanks for help!
thumb.gif
As i'll get the hardware allright, i'm sure i'll return with more questions
biggrin.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts