Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the problem is as follows. I used my Video Card recently and overclocked it to 30MHz up, to the point of 270/230MHz in a PowerColor Radeon 9250 256MB of memory. It worked well, and I stopped doing it. Didnt see the need to do it anymore. But recently, it's gotten...damaged, especially when I started using my new monitor. I moved the monitor to another PC to try it, and it wasnt it. It *is* my GPU. I placed it on 3 PC's, and the same result.

Here is the result...artifacts I expect.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...od/Problem.jpg

*PROBABLY YOU CANNOT SEE IT, BUT THE PROBLEM IS THE FOLLOWING*

Lines run across and downwards the screen. It has alot of random dots(green dots or purple dots) and it's unplayable. I will *try* to get a Digi Cam picture. That's the idea though...

Any help would be good...

*EDIT*

Imagine the Matrix...that is the idea.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I downloaded ATI Tool and setted it to the default clock. Same problem. It comes and goes as well. But it persistest, especially when I play a GPU Intensive game. Any idea how it can be fixed?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, im in a Air Conditioned room, So I'll try taking off the lid as a temporary solution.

What does AS5 to reseat the heatsink mean, and do you think my temporary solution will work?

·
I TeK things...
17,428 Posts
AS5 is Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste, and no I dont think that just opening your case is going to totally solve your problem....might help a lil...

·
Packet Pusher
2,317 Posts
Junk that old Radeon and get a fairly priced Nvidia 6800
Or one of the fine ATI X series, my friend has one and I was impressed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My buddy in my Quake 3 clan has a 9250 with no air cooling, just a heat sync. When his card was overclocked it got too hot too fast from even the smallest clock gains. You could try getting a fan on it or use a thermal compound to reattach the heat sync to the GPU but quite frankly anything over a couple bucks could be money applied to a new card. A 9550 can play DX9 games and overclocks nice but you ll get what ya paid for, a 60ish dollar card that can just play games at a fair pace. My 9550 is clocked to 442/442 and plays doom3 at 800x600 high quality with specular, bump map and speacial effects on at a solid 60 fps. Anything more and it drops fast. What kinda budget are you working with cause for a little more than 100 USD you could be the proud owner of a 6600GT and have some muscle under the hood cause from 1st hand experience the 9550 has only so much to give and is a serious bottleneck in my system.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I was personally thinking of upgrading my GPU recently (Half-Life 2, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion galore time!). Here in Puerto Rico things like the 6600GT can only be found at an EB Gaming store for almost 250 bucks...and the downside as well is I only have an AGP slot. Anyone can reccomend an 100-150 dollars AGP Video Card that runs well and does the work?

BTW, I just moved my sound card almost 3 inches apart from my GPU. Also I allowed the GPU to cool for a few mins, almost an hour. Started the PC up, and my welcome screen looked the same.

:\\ Any ideas, anyone?

EDIT:

This is my Bios

BIOS Version008.017D.016.00
BIOS Part NumberBK-ATI VER008.017D.016.000
BIOS Date2004/08/16

What can I do to it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts