Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Specs:
Power: Corsair TX650W
MB: ASrock 970 Extreme3 R2.0
CPU: FX 8350
VGA: R9 380x

I also have a small cooler master CPU cooler, nothing huge, but still a lot better than the stock cooler.

I'm pretty new to building PC-s and I can't figure out why is this happening, other than it might be a cooling problem, but I'm not sure. Other thing I considered is a defective CPU or MB. Everything is on stock settings, no OC-ing has been done, except that I disabled "Cool n Quiet" and "AMD turbo core", thinking they might the the culprit, but no avail.

Problem:
So I started running prime and AIDA to monitor the temp and see if it's working fine. When the CPU temp reaches 65-66 C it throws down the frequency to about 1300MHz. This happens every few second after that. In gaming it seems to throw off the fps in a similar pattern to that, even on lower settings like medium or high, although I can't see any mayor discrepancy in the CPU frequency. Games on the other hand usually doesn't stress the CPU to 100%.

My Question:
Should I be worried about faulty parts or do you think it's strictly a problem because of overheating or something else?

·
Official Luddite of OCN
5,730 Posts
I can tell you I previously had the first revision of that same motherboard you posted (ASrock 970 Extreme3 R2.0) and the VRM's would roast with my 8350 in them and show similar patterns of throttling at stock speeds, even with an upgraded cooler. The problem with tower coolers assuming your case doesn't have great cooling is that they no longer blow air down over the vrm's. The stock cooler isn't great for this either but it got some airflow over them.

Try openning up the pc case and aiming a box fan or large fan over the cpu socket area and see if it still does this. Also, I'm assuming you are currently not overclocked as well? All drivers up to date, etc.?

• Rep+
Reactions: Gowron

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! So it is most likely a heat problem. So you are suggesting that I should return the MB and get something more expensive? What do you recommend? Or just buy some insane fans on my case?

I got warned in some cases that this MB might be not the best choice for this CPU, but I seen many examples running the same specs as I do without a problem.

Downloaded the latest chipster drivers right after windows install so I'm guessing that's not the problem.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Is there a thermal limit set by the Mobo in the BIOS?

• Rep+

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
That MB is only decent for FX-4xxx and FX-6xxx. VRM's will overheat with FX-8xxx chips and throttle tons.

MSI 970 Gaming is decent for stock/mild overclocks on FX-8xxx chips if you can find one. I have one running an old FX-4100 @ 4.8ghz.
ASUS M5A97 (dont get the LE version, its bad) is also pretty good from what I have heard.
ASRock 970 Performance looks good, no experience with it though.
Anything with more than 4+1 VRM phases will be much better than what you have.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Turned off the auto throttle in the bios, still the same thing, so it's a mobo thing then. Guess I have to take it back to the shop and get a better one, maybe i will get a ninja cooler too.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantian View Post

61c is core temp limit for fx 8 core chips before thermal throttle kicks in, your chip is overheating and throttling to keep the temps down
I'm no AMD expert, but i believe this is the case - therefore, no matter what MoBo you use - you'll have to keep the temps below 60c. Is that correct?

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Not really.

It depends on what temp sensor you are looking at. Ive seen FX chips run happily with core temp readings of ~65c and socket temps of ~70c.

As for that board, this would be the third or fourth one I have seen with throttling issues at stock speeds.

·
Registered
650 Posts
But the Max temps on the AMD website spec sheet suggests 61c - surely going above this causes some kind of throttling/shutting down?

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Nope, it is a recommendation for system integrators.

The throttling is up to the motherboard. The VRM's on this board get REALLY hot under load on an FX-8xxx. This heat so close to the socket drives up socket temps causing somewhat unreliable temp readings.

Ive seen the VRM's on this board hit 70-80c measured at the heatsink with an FX-4100.

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Everyone else's replies are correct, but the essential fact is that your board is the culprit. If you want to overclock and run stressful benchmarking programs, you're going to need to upgrade.

If you just want to play games, you should be fine.

• Rep+

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
I have the motherboard. Undervolt to about 1.28v (effective voltage in Windows under stress) for 4Ghz. The rest is matter of air flow. Since you have a GPU that has high TDP too, things inside the case get hot quickly. So you need to make sure you have good airflow in the VRM area. Either put a top down cooler or put a small fan to blow on the VRM. But undervolting alone could solve this.

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
That sounds like an overheating Asrock board in a case with poor air flow. All Asrock boards overheat sooner than their equivalent from other brands.

But poor case air flow is the biggest problem as it should run ok at stock settings. Check the pics in my sig rig for how my case air flow evolved.

As for air coolers the Noctua D14/D15, Phanteks TC14PE, and the Silverstone HE01 all have fan mounts that let you adjust them for height. When the center fan is mounted as close to the motherboard as it can get, then there is significant air flow over the VRMs and they run pretty cool. Also removing the I/O panel opens up air flow over the VRMs as it blocks air flow and creates a dead zone there.

·
Registered
747 Posts
its your vrms overheating. You can pull it off if you run a few high cfm fans setup at the right angles but I advise getting a new motherboard tbh. You preferably want something with a 8+2 phase design but a 6+2 will do.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I agree with seanzylol,

You could put a small 40x40mm fan in the VRM area to drop temps. This can make a good diference in the CPU load VRM temperature.

Also a even better CPU cooler, as mentioned by the O.P, can help too. But dont do that yet ! First try to cool down the VRM area !

In the end with a little better cooling solution in the VRM area, you can resolve the throttle issues.

I have a GA 990FXA UD5 with a good 8+2 VRM, and a 40mm fan right on it. Massive drops in the heatsink temperature after install the cooler.

Make sure you have good and right air flow in the case, a proper CPU cooler and another one in the VRM, things will get better.

With that motherboard use the CPU in stock mode. It got plenty of power specially with newer games.

In my case, after enable HCP in BIOS, my clock is always at @4.66Ghz, no drops anymore !

Good Luck!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Ok so there is a lot of confusion in this thread, it seems. The cpu core temps will not be affected by different board with better vrms, not to mention they should be enough for atleast 4,4ghz(from my own experience they can manage a lot, put a small or large fan to blow air on them if they are overheating, but i doubt they are overheating). The problem is your core temp, if you have hpc mode try enabling that(it disables throttling) but do it only if you have good enough cooler for your cpu.

·
Premium Member
8,230 Posts
Good god, what is going on in this thread lol.

The temps you're hitting would be temps if you were overclocking, which you stated you turned off the auto turbo option.

8350's do NOT run that hot at stock even with the stock heatpipe cooler. You could easily get 400-500MHZ OC on the stock cooler and still not hit those temps.

If you're at stock and are hitting those temps, you need to take your cooler off and re-seat it. You said you were new so my guess is the normal rookie mistake and you either A) have a bad cooler seat or/and B) you used too little or too much thermal paste.

His board isn't the culprit. The cpu is throttling itself because it's getting too hot because it's not being cooled properly.

Take your cooler off, clean both the cooler base and the top of the cpu with alcohol and something as lint free as possible. Use a rice grain amount of paste on it then carefully mount the cooler.

Too thick of thermal paste and you'll suffocate the cpu as the heat cant transfer through that thick of paste and you certainly don't need so much that it pushes it out the sides. The CPU chip is right in the middle of the cap which is where the significant amount of heat is. The amount of pressure from your cooler squashing that paste will thin itself out to a nice layer that'll be just enough to bridge the gap between the two.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpykeZ View Post

Good god, what is going on in this thread lol.

The temps you're hitting would be temps if you were overclocking, which you stated you turned off the auto turbo option.

8350's do NOT run that hot at stock even with the stock heatpipe cooler. You could easily get 400-500MHZ OC on the stock cooler and still not hit those temps.
His temps are normal, because he runs on Asrock 970. All Asrocks 970 overheat in the socket. However, his problem is the VRM. On the same motherboard (rev 1.0), my [email protected], undervolted to 1.28v was running at Prime95 at about 60C-62C. So for stock voltage, hitting 66C is normal.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts