Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just built the following:

Gigabyte G31M-ES2L
E5200
Corsair XMS2 PC6400 5-5-5-18
Thermaltake 420W

I'm using Windows XP and Prime95 25.9 to test stability. The Blend test fails within 15 minutes but the Small FFT test can run much longer (At least an hour). This would suggest a memory issue so I ran MemTest86+ which passed with flying colors.

I'm using the latest BIOS and all drivers are up to date. I've tried two Windows discs (OEM Home SP2 and OEM Pro SP2) and both exhibit the same symptoms. The only hardware left to troubleshoot is the power supply which I plan on swapping within the hour. Does this behavior fit a power supply which isn't supplying constant, clean power?

·
Premium Member
7,706 Posts
Possibly. Is your RAM at the correct voltage?

• Rep+
Reactions: MNiceGuy

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's rated at 1.90 so I set the BIOS to DRAM +0.1v which should put it at 1.90 or 1.95. Not surprising considering the cost of the board but the BIOS is severely limited. Timings as far as I can find are only set by SPD but they are confirmed to be correct at 5-5-5-18 using CPU-Z

·
Registered
695 Posts
Is there any way you can set the actual ram voltage rather than just +.1v? Is it oc'd? What's the divider ratio for the ram? Just wanna check to make sure you aren't pushing the ram too hard.

For kicks you might bump the cpu voltage just to rule out it being cpu instability.

good luck

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
-GPU is integrated Intel G3100
-PSU is a Thermaltake 430W
-There is no other option for voltage adjustment other than baseline+0.Xv
-Nothing is overclocked at the moment

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maddog7771 View Post
sounds like a dieing cpu get hwmonitor to see if your psu voltages are messed up
HW Monitor won't report the PSU voltages on this board. Also, all parts involved are brank spanking new as of a few days ago.

EDIT: Dropped in the Silencer 750 from the sig rig and I still get a Prime error within the first ten minutes. BIOS is reporting DDR2 voltage at 1.93v so it's now time to box up this mobo and go for a drive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts