Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I bought today wd2002faex and pluged it in, already in my pc i had wd6400aaks blue and when i installed windows on my new wd hdd booting time is awfull long, sometimes i have to reset pc several times to enter windows, sometimes i wait 10-15 minutes before it enters in windows. I really dont know what is the problem here. Hdd is new, working very well, very fast but i have that problem with windows loading time. If i turn off pc and turn it on after 20 min i wait also 20 min just to enter windows.

Can someone help me with this problem? I really dont know what to do anymore. Sometimes in windows it just stops working and then coninues. Please help.

·
Premium Member
4,157 Posts
Unplug your 640GB and boot using just the 2TB.

·
Storage Nut
21,113 Posts
post a screenshot of the smart data for each drive

also if you have any usb devices plugged in it can cause long boot hangs.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
i agree, check to make sure you dont have any discs in the drive or usb sticks hooked up to the pc upon startup. if you can eliminate those issues then we can safely assume theres an issue with hardware. 20 minutes to load windows is dreadful and should definitely NOT be standard

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am sorry for beeing a noob but i dont know how to do that for smart data
frown.gif

Dont have any usbe sticks just usb camera and keyboard

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
what you need is a program like either crystal disk mark or hdtune to see possible smart errors or dead sectors. it sounds to me, and this is just going off the top of my head, but it sounds like either one of your drives might be failing or you might have some bad memory. first thing first, download hdtune or crystal disk mark and run both of your hard drives with either of those programs, specifically hdtune would be great as it can scan for bad sectors. what kind of case do you have and furthermore what kind of cooling do you have. if you can run crystal disk mark and hdtune and your drives pass, then we can move onto ram testing and further issues.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will do it asap but here is some strange thing, i plugged this wd2002faex in sata2 and it is working without problem but when i plug it in sata3 there is problem

I have cm tx3 evo on processor but case is some blueberry black-red case. Nothin special, one side is open all the time.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
while im not well versed on smart errors, usually when a drive throws a smart error it might possibly be starting to fail. try to google the smart error code? but can you run the error scans on your hard drives?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am running them now, it may take a while but it is booting when pluged in sata2 port while in sata3 port it glitches

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dont know why is new one that hot. When I installed windows I have installed marvell SATA controller driver, can that be the issue?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

When I installed this driver i got stuck on windows boot screen, now i didnt install it and it is working very well. Just have question about AHCI and IDE mode, I've enabled AHCI in BIOS and installed win7, is it better to use AHCI or IDE?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Ahci is faster then ide, alot faster. Well it looks like you have one bad sector on the 640 gb drive but if you use checkdisk and tell it to fix it you might get lucky and be able to use the drive longer. The fact that it messes up when you install the marvel sata drivers screams out hardware issue. What i would do is try to rma the board and tell them it hangs whenever you install the marvel sata driver. Your sata ports seem to be the issue.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I read a lot and it seems that a lot of people had this issue, with much better mb's and cpu's. Will it work in sata 3 without those drivers? It seems that marvell have very bad drivers that wont allow windows to boot.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
yes but it may not be as fast. on the other hand if you have warranty on your motherboard then i would definitely look at rmaing the motherboard

·
Storage Nut
21,113 Posts
your 640GB drive may be bad from seeing that error scan.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
i would concur that the 640gb hd might be a hair sketch, but from my experiences, usually zero writing a drive that has a bad sector or 2 can usually allow you to nurse said drive on for a while longer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Problem was when wd2002faex was plugged in marvell sata3 port, when I plugged it in sata2 everything is working perfectly. I still dont understand why marvell ports make this problem.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts