Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I cannot install anything to wine. Whenever I try, installation completes, and then it doesn't show up in my wine apps. So when I try and browse the c: drive to try and see if it nstalled, I get this error.

Quote:
Unable to run the command specified. The file or folder file:///home/eric/Documents/.wine/dosdevices/c: does not exist.
However, I have steam installed to wine, and have 0 issues running it, so hopefully it's an easy fix issue. It looks like the C: drive shortcut isn't linked right? I mean, home/eric/documents exist, but there is no .wine that I see.

Any fixes? Do I need to uninstall/reinstall wine? I'm on 1.3.

Also, when updating with package manager, it wouldn't let me install updates do to "broken packages" or something. I was able to install all but then wine updates when I narrowed it down, but now, the ones I could't install are not showing up, so I can't get the exact message any more.

THe only "fix" I've found so far is kde has issues with the filepath, and adding a ~/ in front should fix it. Tried that, no good, at least in terminal, it still gave me the same error.

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
It's just a link I believe to a folder drive_c, you should be able to soft link it.

Code:

Code:
cd ~/.wine* #I use different prefixes for each program now, .wine-steam, .wine-bioshock ect..
cd dosdevices
ln -s ../drive_c c:

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That didn't work. I still get the same error. There is what looks like an intact C: in there though. Should I do the

Code:

Code:
ln -s ../drive_c c:
When I'm in the c: itself?

edit: Oops, I see I missed the / Got to try again.

edit2: redid it with the /, still no dice. Am I supposed to see any output from it?
LL

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by E_man View Post
That didn't work. I still get the same error. There is what looks like an intact C: in there though. Should I do the

Code:

Code:
ln -s ../drive_c c:
When I'm in the c: itself?

edit: Oops, I see I missed the / Got to try again.

edit2: redid it with the /, still no dice. Am I supposed to see any output from it?
No output, if you get a link that shows c: pointing to ../drive_c you are successful, you might need to add a / at the end for ../drive_c/ I'm not sure I never do. =X

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I did that.

Code:

Code:
~/.wine/dosdevices $ ln -s ../drive_c/ c:
ln: creating symbolic link `c:/drive_c': File exists
and in c: I have in addition to what you have, I have drive_c, and no winetrickstmp, even though I have winetricks installed.

And, still the same error

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Quote:

Ok, I did that.

Code:

Code:
~/.wine/dosdevices $ ln -s ../drive_c/ c:
ln: creating symbolic link `c:/drive_c': File exists
and in c: I have in addition to what you have, I have drive_c, and no winetrickstmp, even though I have winetricks installed.

And, still the same error

unlink c: first then re-link it, if it's pointing to ../drive_c/ it's a program error or a wine version error for your system.

[edit] look at how I unlinked it in my example, if none of this fixes your problem then you need a different solution.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, unlinked/relinked, still no go

Should I uninstall/reinstall it? Not even sure what all packages need to go to get rid of wine. I really don't even care about my programs, only steam

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Quote:

Ok, unlinked/relinked, still no go

Should I uninstall/reinstall it? Not even sure what all packages need to go to get rid of wine. I really don't even care about my programs, only steam
you don't need to uninstall re-install wine, try renaming your wine-prefix, eg .wine to .wine2 or whatever and re-install your programs. I'm currently having many different problems with wine 1.3 and steam specifically.... sometimes I have to delete clientregistry.... sometimes I have to re-set the ownership of the folder (I don't pin-point the problem file, it's just easier to run a recursive chown on a file).

Basically rename the .wine folder and re-install the program your trying to get to run. It will make a new .wine folder, or you could do this each time you run the program (as well as install):

Code:

Code:
env WINEPREFIX=/home/<username>/.wine-<edit> wine <whatever program>
They cover this on many wine tutorials and it helps you trouble shoot. Some programs cannot run under the same settings and if a problem like this occurs you can never figure this out. If you want to change the wine prefix but still use a standard desktop launcher I'm posting mine so you can figure out how to edit them. Open with any editor and it should look like this (text editor):

Code:

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Steam
Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/mboy/[B].wine-steam[/B]" wine C:\\\\\\\\Program\\\\ Files\\\\\\\\Steam\\\\\\\\Steam.exe
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Comment=Steam Client
Path=/home/mboy/[B].wine-steam[/B]/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/Steam/
Icon=/home/mboy/.local/share/icons/steam.png
Terminal=false
I put in bold what you would need to edit for any launcher if you change it's prefix.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do I change the wine prefix? I'm still pretty new to linux

I'm assuming because it's .wine is the reason it's not showing up in the home folder? So if i make .wine into .wine2, things like steam, which is running perfectly as is, won't be affected.

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Quote:

How do I change the wine prefix? I'm still pretty new to linux

I'm assuming because it's .wine is the reason it's not showing up in the home folder? So if i make .wine into .wine2, things like steam, which is running perfectly as is, won't be affected.
yeah, the wine prefix is the location of wine. if you change the .wine folder to anything else you'll need to set "env WINEPREFIX=" and make it = the location, for example my steam is .wine-steam so I do this:

"env WINEPREFIX=/home/mboy/.wine-steam"

It's done w/o quotes though and must be ran every time you run steam now because you "changed" the default location. Your desktop shortcuts won't work unless you change them as well with a text editor. You can make as many wine folders as you like so that each program can be debugged individually without ruining the wine setup for other programs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts