Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So my previous 7970 had some sleep/idle bug problems and I went to RMA it. The previous card had an ASIC quality of 78.9%. Whereas this one only has a 60.4%.. Does this ASIC quality matter a lot for overclocking? Because I do intend to overclock my GPU but not now. Probably in the future when the need arises.

I didn't get to try overclocking on my previous GPU but this new one is already getting artifacts (running FurMark) at 1200 GPU Clock speed and 1650 Memory Clock with all the way up to 1.3v. I've tried 1.25, 1.27 too. Is this because of the low ASIC? I've seen some posts where people mostly have 75+% to 85+% ASIC quality. Even the lowest I've seen people say is 65%.

Should I RMA it again? I read someone say that a low ASIC quality can cause problems in the future? If I should, what reason could I give for the RMA this time?

·
Watercooler
3,374 Posts
I'm pretty sure the higher the ASIC the higher it can overclock on stock volts.
Doesn't really matter and i wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've come to realize that I seriously believe the Vapor X 7970 is actually voltage locked. But at the same time.. it's not looool.

I studied my voltages all day yesterday with GPU-Z and realized that regardless of what I set my Voltage to... when on load.... it'll always hover around 1.18v-1.21v

However when exiting a game or alt tabbing... the voltage spikes up to what you actually have it set to. Yeah, it's weird, I've also tested Force Constant Voltage and that works too however as soon as you enter a game or the GPU goes into full load, the Voltage goes right back to hovering at said voltages ^

So this makes me believe that the Vapor X 7970ghz is actually Voltage locked. Either that or the BIOS that we have on it have it locked and we probably need an older bios. I've tried flashing mine but apparently i get errors such as " Cannot Erase Rom ".

On a side note, my ASIC is 66.9% but I'm stable at 1200/1700 with stock voltage for Core and 1.6v for Memory.

If there is anyone who knows the issue or wants to correct me. Feel free because I am hoping I am completely wrong haha.

EDIT: I've also tried setting my Voltage down to 1.11 just to see if it'll undervolt and it doesn't. It stays at the said voltages also xD

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have a low ASIC on my reference 7970 and I literally can't overclock it past 1110 otherwise it starts doing artifacts on benchmark and games. Even on 1.30v

·
Registered
594 Posts
I used an His Iceq turbo bios but I need a lot of volts because of low AISC quality and the card that I am using is the sapphire 7970 dual x, the vapor x should have unlocked voltages
frown.gif

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewu View Post

I have a low ASIC on my reference 7970 and I literally can't overclock it past 1110 otherwise it starts doing artifacts on benchmark and games. Even on 1.30v
Well I have 60.4% which is absolutely horrible from what I've seen so far.. I can do 1150 and 1650 MAX on 1.381v which is the maximum Sapphire TRIXX allows.. Any more than that and FurMark will artifact like mad. This is bad.. Isn't it?
sadsmiley.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socks keep you warm View Post

I'm pretty sure the higher the ASIC the higher it can overclock on stock volts.
Doesn't really matter and i wouldn't worry about it.
Yes but I do intend to overclock it in time when newer games actually stress my GPU enough.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewu View Post

Btw, how low is your ASIC quality?

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
Eh, I "won" the ASIC lottery and got an ASIC quality of 51.9% on my HD 7950.
Still overclocks to around 1175 on the core although it needs 1.3 V, so it's alright. That's still a 17.5 % increase over factory speeds and 27% over a stock Boost edition card.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaesauce View Post

I've come to realize that I seriously believe the Vapor X 7970 is actually voltage locked. But at the same time.. it's not looool.

I studied my voltages all day yesterday with GPU-Z and realized that regardless of what I set my Voltage to... when on load.... it'll always hover around 1.18v-1.21v

However when exiting a game or alt tabbing... the voltage spikes up to what you actually have it set to. Yeah, it's weird, I've also tested Force Constant Voltage and that works too however as soon as you enter a game or the GPU goes into full load, the Voltage goes right back to hovering at said voltages ^

So this makes me believe that the Vapor X 7970ghz is actually Voltage locked. Either that or the BIOS that we have on it have it locked and we probably need an older bios. I've tried flashing mine but apparently i get errors such as " Cannot Erase Rom ".

On a side note, my ASIC is 66.9% but I'm stable at 1200/1700 with stock voltage for Core and 1.6v for Memory.

If there is anyone who knows the issue or wants to correct me. Feel free because I am hoping I am completely wrong haha.

EDIT: I've also tried setting my Voltage down to 1.11 just to see if it'll undervolt and it doesn't. It stays at the said voltages also xD
Well, mine isn't a Vapor-X so I can't double check for you over here :/ I have the Dual-X which is the 7970 OC w/ Boost.

At least you're able to reach 1200/1700.. I can't even get any more than 1150/1650.. and I have voltage MAXED out. Sigh..
sadsmiley.gif

·
Premium Member
20,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrielQ View Post

Well I have 60.4% which is absolutely horrible from what I've seen so far.. I can do 1150 and 1650 MAX on 1.381v which is the maximum Sapphire TRIXX allows.. Any more than that and FurMark will artifact like mad. This is bad.. Isn't it?
sadsmiley.gif

Yes but I do intend to overclock it in time when newer games actually stress my GPU enough.
newer games? you'll have a newer gpu by the time. plus the cpu will be stressed faster than your gpu. just adjust the in-game settings appropriately unless you are trying to max out everything. for c3, no single gpu can max it no matter what. not sure about the titan.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by B!0HaZard View Post

Eh, I "won" the ASIC lottery and got an ASIC quality of 51.9% on my HD 7950.
Still overclocks to around 1175 on the core although it needs 1.3 V, so it's alright. That's still a 17.5 % increase over factory speeds and 27% over a stock Boost edition card.
Wow LOL. But what the hell man, your 51.9% 7950 can do 1175 my 7970 can't even do any more than 1150. Plus my voltage is set to 1.381v. This sucks!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

newer games? you'll have a newer gpu by the time. plus the cpu will be stressed faster than your gpu.
Well, I don't think I'll be changing the GPU anytime less than 3 years maybe 4. And I have my CPU stable at 4.5GHz so it should be fine, no?
ohno-smiley02.gif

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
Quote:

Wow LOL. But what the hell man, your 51.9% 7950 can do 1175 my 7970 can't even do any more than 1150. Plus my voltage is set to 1.381v. This sucks!
Are you sure it's the core speed that's making it artifact? Memory clocks will make it artifact easily. Drop the memory clock to stock and try again.
If it doesn't artifact with stock memory clocks, use MSI Afterburner, you can increase memory voltage to avoid the memory artifacting.

In my experience, a bad GPU core OC will make my driver crash while a bad memory OC will give me artifacts or vertical lines of death (where the entire screen is covered in stripes).

• Rep+
Reactions: rdr09

·
Premium Member
20,728 Posts
Quote:

Well, I don't think I'll be changing the GPU anytime less than 3 years maybe 4. And I have my CPU stable at 4.5GHz so it should be fine, no?
ohno-smiley02.gif
hell yea! at that oc with the gpu at stock you should be maxing out even bf3 mp maintaining 60 minimum. now c3, maybe high with 4msaa. the problem is if you keep on seeing other people's benchmarks.

·
Premium Member
20,728 Posts
Quote:

Are you sure it's the core speed that's making it artifact? Memory clocks will make it artifact easily. Drop the memory clock to stock and try again.
If it doesn't artifact with stock memory clocks, use MSI Afterburner, you can increase memory voltage to avoid the memory artifacting.

In my experience, a bad GPU core OC will make my driver crash while a bad memory OC will give me artifacts or vertical lines of death (where the entire screen is covered in stripes).
tell the op Bio. +rep.

·
Official Luddite of OCN
5,754 Posts
Well if it makes you guys feel better my XFX DD 7970ghz edition has an ASIC quality of 64% and I'm stable at 1215 on the core at 1.210v and memory at 1625 on stock volts...

Think the ASIC quality thing is a bit overblown and it really still comes down to luck of the draw.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloCamo View Post

Well if it makes you guys feel better my XFX DD 7970ghz edition has an ASIC quality of 64% and I'm stable at 1215 on the core at 1.210v and memory at 1625 on stock volts...

Think the ASIC quality thing is a bit overblown and it really still comes down to luck of the draw.
Omg wait, so ASIC quality has got nothing to do with Silicon Lottery?!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

hell yea! at that oc with the gpu at stock you should be maxing out even bf3 mp maintaining 60 minimum. now c3, maybe high with 4msaa. the problem is if you keep on seeing other people's benchmarks.
Haha yeah I do get around 70-80fps on BF3 everything max'd out. I also get around 140-160fps on COD3 BlackOps2 I THINK. I tried it on the weekend that Steam had the free weekend thing going on for COD3 and I remember seeing 140+fps if 'm not wrong.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Ahh okay thanks for the tip! Gona try reducing memory clocks now. But does memory clock affect GPU performance much? Or is GPU Clock the one that affects GPU performance?

1 - 20 of 106 Posts