Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an Asus M488T-I Deluxe Mobo (which has a Core Unlocker function) and a 95W AMD Phenom 555, with the hopes of unlocking it to a quad core processor. When I use the Core Unlocker function, and restart the computer, on the initial flash screen the mobo recognizes that the 4 cores are active. But, before it can POST, I get a screen that pops up saying that it does not recognize the processor. I'm thinking that when I unlock the processor, it ups the wattage to 125W when the mobo can only put out 95W? It seems odd to me that this motherboard can potentially unlock processors, but wont handle it when it does..

Any ideas?

·
Registered
748 Posts
It seems odd to me that you would buy a 80 watt cpu and a 95 watt mb and wonder why it would not work when unlocked to a 125 watt+ cpu. But maybe it is just me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by beers View Post
Can you proceed after receiving this message?
Do 4 cores show up in windows/cpu-z?
No, I have to reboot and set it back to dual..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Problame View Post
I've seen the wattage vary between 130~180w when this CPU is unlocked (probably HWmon is also a bit off-scale but still..).
As the others already said, the most likely cause is mainboard power issue.

Hmm, well that sucks. I've heard of other people running stock 125W processors off this board so I figured I'd give it a go.

Edit: So just to clear things up, even though this is a 95W CPU, once it is unlocked to a quad core, it automatically runs it as 125W or higher? Is there anyway to modify the wattage needs of the cpu? Or would that be detrimental to my rig?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oblivian View Post
No, I have to reboot and set it back to dual..

Hmm, well that sucks. I've heard of other people running stock 125W processors off this board so I figured I'd give it a go.

Edit: So just to clear things up, even though this is a 95W CPU, once it is unlocked to a quad core, it automatically runs it as 125W or higher? Is there anyway to modify the wattage needs of the cpu? Or would that be detrimental to my rig?
Dum, dum dum!!!!!!!!!!

The reason it jumps from 95w to 125w is because, your computer now has the power those extra two processors. Which now requires more watts.

And no you can't adjust the power of it, only if you under clock the processor. Which I would not recommend as it might have alot of stability issues and loads of BSOD.

Just go buy a new motherboard!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by trenth
View Post

Just go buy a new motherboard!

I like the way you think!

However, I will just stick with what I have. I have been known to over build pc's for my needs. If anything, maybe I'll try my hand a OCing it instead...

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK. I have the same problem. I bought the motherboard/CPU combo from Microcenter based out their recommendation that the Phenom II 555 could be unlocked with this board (Obviously, I hadn't seen this posting at that time). The Microcenter website says the board is rated up to 140W CPUs. Go figure. So, anyone know of a MB that does work unlocked with the Phenom II 555?

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Phenom II 555 is 80W, but unlocked can consume 125-140W and more. Way past the limits on this mobo, due to the Mini-ITX form factor you can't really fit a good enough power phase on it. There's a good reason it's rated 95W only, ASUS's website states the 95W TDP limit. Microcenter is wrong.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts