Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So I've got an older PC, would like to squeeze a few more Mhz out of so games will run a bit more smoothly.

Never OC'd before, but I've done my research.

I go into the BIOS and bump the clock up from 100 to 105. No problems, running 1.82Ghz nice and stable. I then bump it up to 106 and I get no sound from my on-board AC'97 codec. If I go back to 105, the sound comes back.

The PC is running nice and cool. 2 fans in, 2 fans out, plus a Thermaltake volcano sitting on the CPU. Surely I should be getting more than a 1200Mhz increase from this. What gives? Is it a PCI problem?

Also, the BIOS allows me to change the multiplier, (which I haven't touched) if I change this, will it actually change anything, or is the lockout on the CPU itself?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mjolnir
Ok. So I've got an older PC, would like to squeeze a few more Mhz out of so games will run a bit more smoothly.

Never OC'd before, but I've done my research.

I go into the BIOS and bump the clock up from 100 to 105. No problems, running 1.82Ghz nice and stable. I then bump it up to 106 and I get no sound from my on-board AC'97 codec. If I go back to 105, the sound comes back.

The PC is running nice and cool. 2 fans in, 2 fans out, plus a Thermaltake volcano sitting on the CPU. Surely I should be getting more than a 1200Mhz increase from this. What gives? Is it a PCI problem?

Also, the BIOS allows me to change the multiplier, (which I haven't touched) if I change this, will it actually change anything, or is the lockout on the CPU itself?

Any help would be appreciated.
You need to lock your pci and agp. Should look something like 66/33/100 or something. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there just a setting in the BIOS to lock the PCI and AGP? I'm gonna assume that's what I'm looking for. Back to the BIOS I go!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittani

I don;t think the Tyan Trinity has one.

There is a setting under the frequency/voltage control to disable the "Auto detect PCI/DIMM clk".

According to the manual, this "sets the BIOS to automatically adjust CPI and
memory bus speeds accordingly". The default setting is "Enabled".

Will disabling this accomplish the same thing? (thought I'd ask before trying)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Quote:

There is a setting under the frequency/voltage control to disable the "Auto detect PCI/DIMM clk".

According to the manual, this "sets the BIOS to automatically adjust CPI and
memory bus speeds accordingly". The default setting is "Enabled".

Will disabling this accomplish the same thing? (thought I'd ask before trying)

My mother board does not have a lock. When I try and increase my settings to even 183MHZ, from 180, in my bios it doesnt load certain programs, mostly games. It seems that this is an issue with the locks, as well as finding the apropriate settings for your system. try disableing that then start your comp up and see what it does.....be ready to shut it down if you get the blue screen....my guess is that it will start but with prime 95 it my have erorrs....see what hapens after that.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Roger that. Thanks.

If I can't get it to work I'll just up and buy a new CPU. The most my little Tyan mobo will support is a 2.4G 400FSB and those are getting pretty cheap these days.

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Quote:

Roger that. Thanks.

If I can't get it to work I'll just up and buy a new CPU. The most my little Tyan mobo will support is a 2.4G 400FSB and those are getting pretty cheap these days.
If your not happy with your system get a new mobo and cpu. You can a good amd mobile system for cheap if your on a budget.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by steveo42024
If your not happy with your system get a new mobo and cpu. You can a good amd mobile system for cheap if your on a budget.
So much to buy. so little money....(sigh)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts