Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, windows got corrupted on this thing a week ago so I formatted the drive and installed windows and it worked fine. I didn't get around to setting up automatic updates until yesterday, and that's when the :turd: started flying. Now the damn thing will just shut off for no reason, and when you try to restart it, it goes to a black screen. What is the deal with this?? I'm almost positive it has to do with the windows updates, because this is the reason why I had to reformat it. My GF had never updated her computer, so last week I set it up for updates and the damn thing corrupted windows.

So NOW she's all like "I thought you knew stuff about computers, blah blah blah blah blah"

Guys, what's the deal with this? Is there a chronic issue with windows updating totally screws some systems?

·
Registered
455 Posts
what do u mean she never updated windows?
like she has the original version?
which edition of windows is this?

·
Registered
455 Posts
so you tried to download right to the newest version and skipped all of them before? if you can try to update everyone in sequence then finally getting to the newest one..hope it helps. will get back to ya.

EDIT: you get what im saying? like if u get a small update, some of them require a restart, and some files have to perform some changes...now if u just downloaded like a years worth of updates all together....when you restart all those commands try to workout on the same files causing confusion and then a sequencial corruption. also. the corruption is in the restart like you noted, the screen goes black when you try. this may be gettin somewhere.

·
Premium Member
13,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by u.c.i.n.e.x.

so you tried to download right to the newest version and skipped all of them before? if you can try to update everyone in sequence then finally getting to the newest one..hope it helps. will get back to ya.

I'm setting up automatic updates, so it was downloading them itself.

But now, since I'm actually here, it's giving me a BSOD right after the windows loading screen.

·
Registered
455 Posts
hmmm....this is not good..so the BSOD prevents you from doing any actions whatsoever and....you cannot enter windows?/??!

·
Premium Member
13,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by u.c.i.n.e.x.

hmmm....this is not good..so the BSOD prevents you from doing any actions whatsoever and....you cannot enter windows?/??!

LOL, I know it's not good.

Nope, cannot enter windows. It get's passed the loading screen and then BSOD's.

Since windows corrupted before, and going into dos prompt for "chkdsk /r" and that couldn't even complete the scan before I reformatted, and now it's doing this, I'm going to guess it's the hearddrive.

I'm doing a dick scan right now just to be safe though.

·
Premium Member
13,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrabb1920

Sounds like a corrupt windows install. its happened to me in the past.

Huh.......well I did the check disk, and it says it found and fixed one or more problems and now the lappy is at the desktop.

Should I try to update windows again? Or should I leave it alone?

·
Registered
455 Posts
if you want to update windows, i would recommened physically clicking each link from the first to the last and restarting after each one. dont use windows update...go to microsoft.com and find them all. they should be in chronological order.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts