Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys i just slowly took my p4 2.4c up to 2.64 and was working fine i was checking temps at idle which where normal so i thought i would run half life 2 to get it under load. well the game kept cuming back with messages saying the game is unavailable to you, strange i thought so i tried to launch halo, and the same story was happening it would not launch and was freezing, so i try to cum on here for help only to find that my web browser would not open up and my puter crashed and tried to reboot, it self. well i went back into bios and undid all the changes i made and am back down to 2.4 again to run stable to come on here, now a strange thing i think buttt not sure, was inital display adapter was set by default to pci yet i have a rad 9800 8x agp vid card which was and still is working fine on that setting do u think cos i change it from pci to agp (like it says in the intel o/c guide) that it could be a prob? thxs guys

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alycat

hi guys i just slowly took my p4 2.4c up to 2.64 and was working fine i was checking temps at idle which where normal so i thought i would run half life 2 to get it under load. well the game kept cuming back with messages saying the game is unavailable to you, strange i thought so i tried to launch halo, and the same story was happening it would not launch and was freezing, so i try to cum on here for help only to find that my web browser would not open up and my puter crashed and tried to reboot, it self. well i went back into bios and undid all the changes i made and am back down to 2.4 again to run stable to come on here, now a strange thing i think buttt not sure, was inital display adapter was set by default to pci yet i have a rad 9800 8x agp vid card which was and still is working fine on that setting do u think cos i change it from pci to agp (like it says in the intel o/c guide) that it could be a prob? thxs guys

Did you ever download CPU-Z? Oc to your high stable OC and then find out what your FSB and Memory bus speeds are. better yet, if you can post some screen shots of the CPU and Memory tab that will be better.

Did everything run good at 2.50, 2.55 or 2.6Ghz? It sounds like the AGP/PCI isn't locked on 66/33, go in the bios and make sure.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by archer_456

Did you ever download CPU-Z? Oc to your high stable OC and then find out what your FSB and Memory bus speeds are. better yet, if you can post some screen shots of the CPU and Memory tab that will be better.

Did everything run good at 2.50, 2.55 or 2.6Ghz? It sounds like the AGP/PCI isn't locked on 66/33, go in the bios and make sure.

yes i did download cpu-z i didnt check trying to get into games until 2.64 so i am not sure on that one and yes i did check my fsb and memeroy speeds
archer do u think that cos my inital display adapter by default was set to pci and i changed it to agp that it has anything to do with it? each time i checked and the agp/pci was locked and on 66/33 i think from past experience that otherwise i can not boot into windows if it isn`t

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

yes i did download cpu-z i didnt check trying to get into games until 2.64 so i am not sure on that one and yes i did check my fsb and memeroy speeds
archer do u think that cos my inital display adapter by default was set to pci and i changed it to agp that it has anything to do with it? each time i checked and the agp/pci was locked and on 66/33 i think from past experience that otherwise i can not boot into windows if it isn`t

Ok, Initial display adapter should be [AGP] since you are running an AGP card. If you can boot up on your last stable OC, and post some screen shots of CPU-z it will help alot. What speed was you FSB and memory speed during your last stable OC?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Ok, Initial display adapter should be [AGP] since you are running an AGP card. If you can boot up on your last stable OC, and post some screen shots of CPU-z it will help alot. What speed was you FSB and memory speed during your last stable OC?

hi sorry for the delay archer hey i`m realy new here how do i post screens of cpu-z

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

hi sorry for the delay archer hey i`m realy new here how do i post screens of cpu-z

have you ever used the "Print screen" button? just hit print screen and it copy everything on the screen. just past it into paint or what ever graphics you program have, crop it, save it as a .jpg file. and upload it in your message.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
^For uploading, there is a "manage attachments" button under the submit reply button, when your creating a post.
Also, under "advanced chipset features" in BIOS, make sure you have your RAM timings set manually to 3-4-4-8 (or it may be 3-8-4-4, from the top down, depending on your BIOS). HyperX will only run on the loosest timings, and trying to run anything tighter, even at slower-than-rated speeds, can cause instability. Make sure you have vdimm set to 2.7 or 2.8v, as well.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoAffinity

^For uploading, there is a "manage attachments" button under the submit reply button, when your creating a post.
Also, under "advanced chipset features" in BIOS, make sure you have your RAM timings set manually to 3-4-4-8 (or it may be 3-8-4-4, from the top down, depending on your BIOS). HyperX will only run on the loosest timings, and trying to run anything tighter, even at slower-than-rated speeds, can cause instability. Make sure you have vdimm set to 2.7 or 2.8v, as well.

Thats the funny thing, In his previous post he could not even get past 205FSB with his timings at 3-4-4-8. when he put them back down to default timings he was able to OC past 205Mhz. strange sounding huh. I have the same problem with my Kingston RAM, I can't run 3-4-4-8 either.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Thats the funny thing, In his previous post he could not even get past 205FSB with his timings at 3-4-4-8. when he put them back down to default timings he was able to OC past 205Mhz. strange sounding huh. I have the same problem with my Kingston RAM, I can't run 3-4-4-8 either.

hi archer i just put fsb upto 205 and went on to play halo for about 2o mins, came off and checked my temps and the cpu temp was 53.5 so very close, there again my idle temp is around 40-41 so i think i need to do something with my cooling, don`t you?

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

hi archer i just put fsb upto 205 and went on to play halo for about 2o mins, came off and checked my temps and the cpu temp was 53.5 so very close, there again my idle temp is around 40-41 so i think i need to do something with my cooling, don`t you?

What does your case temps run? With adequate case cooling your case temps should run pretty close to your rooms ambient temp. The reason I ask is beacuse your load temps seem pretty high for a 5Mhz OC.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

What does your case temps run? With adequate case cooling your case temps should run pretty close to your rooms ambient temp. The reason I ask is beacuse your load temps seem pretty high for a 5Mhz OC.

something dosent seem right here archer at idle my system temp is 34 my room temp is about 20 and cpu temp is at 43. how reliable is windbonds hardware doctor? is there another temp reading system i could use? beside the one`s in the bios?

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by markuk3

try asus probe it will have come bundled with your mobo i use this along with motherboard monitor

It doesn't matter what monitoring program you use, they just report what the sensor is dictating, and all read off the same sensor (assuming the respective monitoring program is compatible with your particular mobo).

Alycat, do they have Compusa's or Fry's in your area? At the very least, you should remove your heat sink, clean it and the processor (with a lint-free cloth and some 90%+ purity isopropyl alcohol), and apply some good Arctic Silver 5. This should help your temps a little bit.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoAffinity

It doesn't matter what monitoring program you use, they just report what the sensor is dictating, and all read off the same sensor (assuming the respective monitoring program is compatible with your particular mobo).

Alycat, do they have Compusa's or Fry's in your area? At the very least, you should remove your heat sink, clean it and the processor (with a lint-free cloth and some 90%+ purity isopropyl alcohol), and apply some good Arctic Silver 5. This should help your temps a little bit.

no i live in canada near toronto, i got a 120mm fan for my case today to install at the front i have an antec case with 120mm in the back, i will also get a different hsf with as5 to install it with thanks for the reply no affinity

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Even just applying some AS5 on a stock Intel cooler (and removing the original goop first, of cousre
) will give you some improved results, but going with a new cooler, some AS5 and an additional fan should really bring the temps down.

Let us know how it turns out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts