Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody;

I've got some problems with a watercooling setup I've built a few days ago. It's formed by a Fuzion V2, PA120.3, and custom reservoir with A/C Pump. Everything 1/2 tubing. Every component was well cleaned with distilled water before using it on the loop. The coolant I'm using is distilled water.

And the problem comes here. After a few hours using the loop, the tubing starts colouring opaque white. After ~1 day the tube is absolutely white. Inside the reservoir I can see like a white dust, like lime, or calcium (There's a word for it in spanish, I'm not sure if you know what I mean), and if I shake a bit the reservoir, I noticed there's a scale covering the surface of the water, like solidified lime.

It probabily will be sitting on the Dtek block and the radiator, and I'm increasing like ~1C on idle every day, or almost.

The amount of sediment is way too high for the water I used, even if I used water from the faucet for the loop there won't be so much sediments as this.

I don't know from where it comes, but is the second time that happens. I cleaned the loop one day or two ago and here it is again.

What can I do for clean the liquid, and for aviod it for long?

Thanks for the attention.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
did you only use distilled water to clean with?

Might want to try a light Vinegar solution 10-15%.

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
Its perplexing how this is the second time its come up. Maybe its some growth? But one hour is a short time for something to grow...

·
Registered
245 Posts
its plasticizer from the tubing, the way it sounds, what tubing are you using(brand)? edit: oh, and you may want to clean out your pa120.3, those thermochills have big problems with loose flux, best idea is to get some hot(not boiling) tap water, and flush your rad until the water starts coming out clear, after that, flush it probably two times with distilled to be sure there is no tap water left in it

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
u said custom res

it wouldnt happen to be pvc?

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, third day, and the reservoir is starting to turn white... Damn.

I thought it may be a kind of microorganism or something that grows inside the water too, but it's it, from the first minutes run, it starts to change the colour. It's too fast for something that grows, it's a bit frightening.

And yes, I only used distilled water! Is the thing that sounds most weird. May I use the coolant liquid used in scooter or motorbikes engines? Maybe it's more sterile than distilled water.

Quote:

Originally Posted by just a noob
View Post

its plasticizer from the tubing, the way it sounds, what tubing are you using(brand)? edit: oh, and you may want to clean out your pa120.3, those thermochills have big problems with loose flux, best idea is to get some hot(not boiling) tap water, and flush your rad until the water starts coming out clear, after that, flush it probably two times with distilled to be sure there is no tap water left in it

Arim Cristal. It's not a famous brand or something. It's just normal PVC transparent tube (cleaned) bought from a local store. May them be the problem?

I will clean that way the PA120, sounds a good way to clean it perfectly. Also will open the Dtek for cleaning the joint and the interior. I will use an antical product again in the res/pump. And change tubing again.
Anyway, I will wait to discover what's inside the loop... it's not worth to clean minuciously the system to have white things growing up after a few minutes -..-

Thanks for the help! May the tubing be the problem?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
i think u have a monster on ur hands, i was gonna say its just pvc dust

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
can we have a pic or two?

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrillian
View Post

Did you use PT Nuke or some similar biocide?

It seems that too much will cloud the tubing, but I have yet to see the symptom occur in a reservoir.

He said he only used distilled water. No additives whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Holy ****...

I went a out at the morning, had to do some things, and when sitted back on the PC and connected the pump, there was a layer of 3 - 4 mm (!!!) at the bottom of the reservoir. I'm starting to see that white thing spread over the tubing.

I took a few shots. I put my hand on one or two, so you can see the opacity... Are taken with a high resolution camera, so you can notice the little white things on the reservoir: (I hope that the post doesn't get deformed. If it does, right click > See Image on Firefox)

...fungus?

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Looks like the white radiator crud, or some kind of coolant reaction. If you clean it again you might want to start out with just plain distilled and see what it does.

I clean mu rad out with 90% distilled and 10% white vinegar followed by a bunch of warm plain distilled rinses.

I'll leave you my cleaning PDF, I run it down more in it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
if cleaning out your rad doesn't solve it, its got to be the tubing, in that case, you might want to try out tygon(theres a certain type with less plasticizer or something like that) edit: it could also be your res reacting with the pvc tubing(assuming it isn't acrylic)

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts

Woah! That is a lot of gunk.

hmm... if I did not know any better, I would say that reservoir was made from a compact disk/DVD case that is turned upside down... lol.

It also states PP5 (polypropylene) on it.

I dunno too much about plastics' inherent qualities, but I wonder if the reservoir is the culprit?

As a process of elimination, I would replace any McGyvered' components with task-specific components and see if the situation improves. If it does not, then I would try swapping one component at a time (loop not attached to system) and running the truncated loop for several hours to see if that would spotlight the culprit.

of guess-work on my part.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slightly skewed
View Post

What kind of res is that? Better yet, what is the filter in it made of?

Urhhhmm...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrillian
View Post

hmm... if I did not know any better, I would say that reservoir was made from a compact disk/DVD case that is turned upside down... lol.

Hey, money is not my hard point
... I saw a few people using it, like little tutorials, and thought there was a great way to use one.

I will try using another... the problem is the pump, that's inside. Anyway... I did not thought that PVC can react and make corrossion to another plastic, like for example, copper block/aluminium rad.

The only McGuyvered component is the reservoir, the pump is a normal pump, just it. Will try cleaning with Cillit Bang (don't know if that product exists there, is a potent product that cleans everything, oxide, cal, watermarks, microorganisms, etc) and rinsing with water, then, using the reservoir and the pump only in the loop, to see if those white things grow up again.

If the "fungus" do appear again... would you afford for changing tubing, reservoir, or pump?

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
oopsies...

Sorry, I did not mean to be an ass in so commenting on the reservoir.

Plastics are both a miracle and a travesty, and since the reservoir is the only jury-rigged component, then that is the piece of the loop that I would replace.

If funds are limited you could try to find a used Swiftech Microres (V1). All things being equal you should be able to pick a used one up for about US$10-15.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I don't watercool but, but I've seen cheap plastic tubing turn white like that on some of my equipment at work (lab/machine shop). Tygon brand tubing is much more resistant to things like that and it's pretty cheap (around here).

Replacing the tubing might not solve the problem, but it would be cheap and at least elminate it from the list of possible sources.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I would try adding a drop or two of biocide and see if that stops it. Micro Organisms can grow surprisingly fast given the right conditions.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts