Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a quick question, I am running norton and it shows that each of the processors are running at 50% So when I try and do something at the same time it is slow. Is this right? I thought that one processor would be running at 100% and everything else would be running off of the other

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
what?

Dude, they should both be at 0%...what're you talkin bout?

Be more specific..are you trying to play a game?

Windows balances the load...

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideburns
View Post

what?

Dude, they should both be at 0%...what're you talkin bout?

Be more specific..are you trying to play a game?

Windows balances the load...

Dude take it easy, u gonna attack someone for just wanting answers!

Usually both cores will share the load, but usually not exactly the same amount. If Norton is running 50% of your Opteron, u obviously should still be able to use another program depending on how much resources it takes up/

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
It entirely depends on what's running. In general though, both cores will spike around the same time. This isn't always true - but don't be alarmed if you see them both hit a peak, or only one does... it just varies by programs running.

If, for example, you run a program that is not multi-threaded, then you may see one core hit max utilization, while the other "sleeps". If, however, you run a single program that is multi-threaded, or multiple programs of any sort, then both cores can spike at the same time.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I think Sideburns scared him away.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry I ask the question and had to go last night. I was scanning for viruses... and both processors are running at 50%. I just thought it would be one doing the scanning and one would be doing "nothing" It just seemed like both processors took on the load and "split up the work"

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
thats why i hate norton, it uses way to much resorces for just an AV... ZA suite uses 20% while scanning. And AVG free uses like 15%... Norton does not give you enough protection for how much of your computer it uses.

But yeah, if norton would be using 100% of ur CPU, it should be 50-50.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts