Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a new "budget" rig (around $550-$600 total) Looking to spend about $250 on a motherboard/processor combo. What would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly, I don't even think I'll use this rig for gaming. I've gone with Intel before but it looks like AMD has the better prices. I'll probably just stick with one card for now (for which I need recommendations as well.)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, they actually have that processor at my local Microcenter for $99, so I might pick it up there. So you guys would go with dual core rather than quad?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Yep , you can do the Phenom II X3 720 but you said budget build so I think the Dual core would do just fine. I really like the features of the M4A89GTD PRO so I think you should definitely stick with that and it would definitely future proof you for a couple of years.

·
Premium Member
11,050 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerTrip
View Post

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO AM3 AMD 890GX $139.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131633
(Xtreme Design w/ Hardware Core Unlocker)

AMD Phenom II X2 555 Callisto 3.2GHz $100.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103846

Total Shipped $248.85

^This

But in case you didn't know, 890FX motherboards and AMD's 6 core chips coming out on April 27th. I don't know how they're going to affect prices but majority of people has been on my case about waiting till then. (you can see from my sig rig that I'm a bit desparate for an upgrade too)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amoomaniak
View Post

Thanks, they actually have that processor at my local Microcenter for $99, so I might pick it up there. So you guys would go with dual core rather than quad?

Couple things:

There is a chance that the Phenom II X2 555 will unlock to an X4. Chance, not guarantee. I just got one from Microcenter and while the cores did unlock, they were not stable
I'm considering calling it defective and getting another one for another chance at it, heh heh hehhhhhh

Secondly, the 555 was $89 at my Microcenter, and the 720 was $100. Don't overpay

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your input guys.

I'm thinking of changing my stance a little. Since I won't be using the rig for gaming (mostly multimedia, multitasking) I'm thinking of spending most of the money on the processor and motherboard (with integrated HDMI.) Will a decent motherboard with HDMI be worse than a decent PCI-E graphics card with HDMI if won't be using it for gaming?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amoomaniak
View Post

Thanks for all your input guys.

You're welcome!

I'm thinking of changing my stance a little. Since I won't be using the rig for gaming (mostly multimedia, multitasking) I'm thinking of spending most of the money on the processor and motherboard (with integrated HDMI.) Will a decent motherboard with HDMI be worse than a decent PCI-E graphics card with HDMI if won't be using it for gaming?

If not for gaming then my previous recommendation still stands. The Asus Mobo I suggested has integrated 4290 graphics with HDMI for basic multimedia needs.

If you find that you change your mind and start doing some gaming and/or other 3D rendering in the future, you can always add a video card down the line.

·
Registered
176 Posts
i recomand the M4A89GTD + athlon II 635
both would cost around 240$

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys,

Thank you all for your help. I was actually looking for something smaller for the living room as I wouldn't be doing any gaming with it (already have an XBOX/PS3 - although it's not comparable to PC gaming, it gets the job done :) )

I ended up not building anything myself. After I priced everything out (including getting a nice case for the living room) I'd have to spend roughly $600-700.

I ended up picking this up at my local Fry's. They had it on sale for $399.

http://www.buy.com/prod/Acer-Aspire-...213780511.html

It has everything I needed. Although the motherboard is not anything amazing, it'll get the job done for what I needed it for (with the HDMI out.) For $399, I consider it a steal. It's about the size of my XBOX 360, so that's a definite plus.

I also ended up picking this up in the process. I'd recommend it to anyone looking to build an HTPC setup. Best part is, no keyboard/mouse in the living room.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts