Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Dust And Rust
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To make a long story short, I have the equivalent components for a good four or five PCs sitting around at the moment, and I'm trying to figure out what would be the best setup to use with what I have -- primarily one PC (the "good" parts) will go to gaming, but I also want to use some of the others to put together a respectable video editing rig.

The three higher-end CPUs I have would be these:
AMD Ryzen 3 2200G
Intel i5-4590
AMD FX-8350

For the Intel and Ryzen chips, I know they're both decent low-mid range chips right now for gaming, but don't know if either would really excel at video editing. Especially considering they're both quad-core to the FX's 8. But, I also heard the FX was kind of a turd anyway.

Basically, I just want to know if any of those chips would come out on top for either the gaming PC or the video editing rig, so I know what I'm working with. Oh, also if it matters, my editing software of choice would be Vegas Pro 14.

·
Iconoclast
30,435 Posts
For gaming, and most other tasks really, the Ryzen and the i5 will be quite close. No clear winner between the two.

The FX-8350 will be the inferior gaming part, except in a handful of extremely well threaded titles, but most game will be GPU limited anyway. However, the FX-8350 will almost certainly have the advantage in transcoding, and can actually take a proportionally higher OC than either of the other parts, if you have a decent board for it. So, I'd use this setup for your editing PC.

·
Dust And Rust
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's about what I was figuring with the information I had about the processors (including running a few benches on the quad-cores), but just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I could have been overlooking here. Honestly, if it's not a matter of a performance bottleneck at all, I was planning to use the Ryzen for my gaming PC just because of the markedly lower TWP than even the Intel.

If anyone has any additional info to consider though, obviously, I'm all ears. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts