Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, im looking for some help with a processor upgrade, i have a MS-7184 microstar motherboard. data sheet here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c00378480

i currently have a 3500+ at 2.42 GHZ but im looking for a bit more power because this motherboard says it supports up to a 4800+ socket 939. so if there are any good dual core processors for under 200$ that you can point out. also, what would be the best value for my money or if i should upgrade yet at all; that would be alot of help.

ps. which processor is the best for overclockability? i heard the 4200+ is the best for overclocking.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I would say that you are set for the socket 939 platform. If you are truely a multitasker you will see a good increase in performance with an X2 AMD, but if you are a one task at a time type of person then the 3500+ should be fine for you. If I were you I would hang on to what I had or look at a 3800+, Opteron 165, or a 4400+ if you want to get a dual-core.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i run high end games like oblivion and right now, i have about 20 tabs open WITH a webcam going and transfering songs onto mp3 player. not to mention i have my laptop next to me doing even more. so im thinking a ram increase is good here, but is upgrading to 2GB that much of an increase. and one more question, can i still have dual channel by adding 2 more stick of dual channel cappable 512mb sticks?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry for the double post, but can anyone help me find a bios flash for my motherboard? its a MS-7184 microstar motherboard. im looking to flash it so i can do a bios overclock, because currently i can only do FSB with clockgen.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
HP can not be overclocked through the bios, they are locked and only run at stock unless you are amongst the fortunate few that can gain a little more through clockgen or the like. Seems you are one of the lucky ones. If you are looking at getting a new processor you can look at doing a new build around the socket AM2 format, or you could buy a new case, motherboard and processor around the 939 socket and get overclocking potential. It would be foolish to put additional money in a HP computer that has very little overclocking potential.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
justcheck for the best CPU deals you can find...

Check to see what the latest available bios is at the manufactures website is...

If that board is in a pre-built pc...your only options are finding a modded bios OR find a bios that closely matches your board from the same brand...and flash to that.... but be strongly cautioned this is not a recomended precedure...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for you help, but i do remember seeing a bios for this mobo and its also known as another model number which is slightly different but same chipset, if anyone can help me find that it would be a huge thanks, as for going with a new motherboard i dont have much money at the time (only 16) so im just looking for an easy 939 processor upgrade.
considering i can get my FSB to 230 (as i know the opteron multipliers are locked) how much of an overclock can i get?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Theoretically, you'd be able to hit 2.07GHz with an Opteron 165 and 2.3GHz with an Opteron 170 or 2.53 with a 3700+. This is assuming you were using FSB of 230MHz and highest possible multiplier.

I'd try to get a new motherboard if I were you. I can recommend my motherboard since it has never let me down. Right now you can probably find it for about $75

·
Registered
895 Posts
The other version of your board is the MS7093, and there is no bios that will allow any overclock trust me i have looked. Your only option is a clockgen and if you want the most speed you have to start with a higher multi cpu like a 4800 X2. I replaced my MSI board with a DFI rs482 Infinity which has a ton of OC options and there are alot of mATX Nvidia 6100 boards that have OC options. Another option is this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856110043 you can switch out your hardware and it has a few OC options; getting a retail mATX mobo in your HP will take a little work but it is possible and you should probably look into a higher rated PSU as prebuilt systems tend to skimp in this area.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts